What are you old enough to remember?

Watching Hoody Doody and Kukla, Fran and Ollie. That was in black and white of course! Anyone old enough to remember watching that show knows that Clarabelle never spoke and on the last show he said "goodbye kids" and I cried my eyes out! I think I was 4 or 5 at the time.

My kids are old enough to remember Blockbuster. Sigh.

I'm old enough to remember the Blizzard of 78.

1978/79
Chicago- MIlw area?
I was a senior in HS and we had to make up snow days meaning we didn't get a week off early at the end of the year like all the graduates before us :(

Waking up early on a Saturday morning to watch cartoons, since that was the only time they were on.

You didn't get cartoons on weekday afternoons? We usually saw those on the independent channels. Usually shorts like Popeye, Warner Brothers, Woody Woodpecker, Heckle and Jeckle, Baby Huey, Tom & Jerry. Many of the Saturday morning cartoons ended up in syndicated reruns. I saw all sorts of those in the afternoon - especially Hanna-Barbara stuff like Superfriends, Laff-A-Lympics, etc.

Secretaries that took shorthand and had to retype whole pages, if they made a mistake. Telexes hand delivered by telex girls.

That would be me. We would type legal documents with seven carbon sets. We were not allowed to erase any typos. By the time we would get to the bottom of the page, our hearts were racing. 😂. Good times.

Rabbit ears and you were the tv remote aka closest to the tv got up to changed it and fix the rabbit ears for the new channel. TV went to static noise at midnight. There was no FOX tv channel.
Some stations might have gone to a color wheel or color bars with a tone before signing off or before signing back on. Some stations would show video of a flag waving with the national anthem played before they signed off. This one has both:

We had a tube TV where the primary vacuum tube might burn out like a light bulb. My dad would go to Radio Shack where they had a tube tester and we'd get it replaced.

Yes! The TV guide was my favorite part of the Sunday paper...haha...Sunday paper :rotfl2:I still remember impatiently waiting for that huge paper to get delivered on Sunday mornings. I used to go through the TV guide with a highlighter to mark up what I wanted to watch every week. And gosh forbid you missed something since there was no way to record it. I was so excited when we finally got a Beta recorder so we could tape things!
:goodvibes ...and how about rushing home or turning down invitations because you needed to watch something on tv?

1978/79
Chicago- MIlw area?
I was a senior in HS and we had to make up snow days meaning we didn't get a week off early at the end of the year like all the graduates before us :(

I was in southern Indiana; but, I believe that was a widespread storm system. It was record setting snow for our area. And since the wind kept blowing, they couldn't keep the roads clear. We were snowed in for days. I was six years old; and, of course, we had a blast. Our dad used the tractor to plow out the driveway and the drifts were so big we used them to make tunnels, igloos and ice slides. It was a blast.

Brace yourselves. When I was small, I remember sitting at the kitchen table coloring while listening to the Lone Ranger, Green Hornet and Superman on the Radio. My mother always tuned into Don McNeill's Breakfast Club on the radio every morning as well. This was before I started school so I would have been 4 or 5 at the time. About that same time I would listen to Santa Claus read our Christmas list letters on the radio. It made us famous, kinda! We would sit there for a couple hours every night listening just to hear our names read on the air. Life was simpler back then.

I was 8 before we even got a TV and that was like watching flies during a blizzard. We used to go to the neighbors to watch Your Show of Shows, Milton Berle and Captain Kangaroo.

*Being in a long line at a movie theatre and then someone bringing the big sold out sign

*Intermissions at the movies

*Having to wear pantyhose/nylons to PT job as a teenager, or risk being sent home for not having them on. Still creeps me out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter