What are you old enough to remember?

swanson-tv-dinner.jpg

State of the art when I was a kid.

TV dinners were always a treat. My favorite was turkey and stuffing. Somehow a pea or two always found their way into the mashed potatoes or dessert when the foil was peeled back.

Does anyone remember those jukebox-looking machines in record stores where you could choose songs and make your own mixtape? I think each song was like 80 cents, and then you waited for a while for the salesperson to give it to you. You got a cassette with a cover of your choice and whatever you named it printed on it.

I remember the fisrt televisions available for the home. The screen was about 7" diagonal, black and white (naturally) and the console was huge. Famly lore has it that I was watching some fram program where the farmer was feeding a baby goat with a bottle. I looked at the screen, looked at the bottle in my hand, made a disgusting sound and promptly threw my bottle across the room, nevert to be drunk from againl I was about 2 years old.

Does anyone remember those jukebox-looking machines in record stores where you could choose songs and make your own mixtape? I think each song was like 80 cents, and then you waited for a while for the salesperson to give it to you. You got a cassette with a cover of your choice and whatever you named it printed on it.
....I still have one!

That’s why I never bought 8-tracks. A friend had Meat Loaf’s Bat Out of Hell on 8-track and it changed right at a good part of a song, maybe You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth.....
...:rotfl:

Smoking in airplanes. I was a kid and my mom a heavy smoker.. I was with my mom several times on those last 4-5 rows in an airplane (when my dad couldn't travel -he didn't smoke).. smoke everywhere. I remember seeing other kids as well and the cloud of smoke...Horryfying, I know. Late 70's, early 80s.
In fact, I remember smoking was allowed everywhere. Some restaurants didn't even have smoking sections, it was ok to smoke everywhere. Only in the late 80s did they start having smoking areas.

Anyone know if cruises allowed smoking inside the staterooms? I remember smoking in the verandahs, I actually sailed when it was still allowed. But not inside.

Appalling times.

I grew up during the 70s. No home VCRs so if you missed a show on TV, your only hope was to wait for the rerun during the summer. And if you missed a live program you were out of luck.

I remember eagerly anticipating the yearly showing of "The Wizard of Oz" because I loved that movie and it was the only time of the year when I could watch it.

Maybe stuff that's vehicle related.

I'm old enough to remember color-coded flags placed at gas stations to mark how much fuel they had available. I'm too young to remember the original Arab Oil Embargo, but I do remember fuel shortages of the late 70s. That, tuneups, bias ply tires, and leaded gasoline.
I remember the shortages, rationing, and long lines for gas. My brother worked in a gas station and he would sneak my mother in to get gas so she didn't have to wait in the long lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter