What are you planting?

Are there any veggie plants that do well in a pot? Unfortunately I live in an apartment, but my community does allow for people to have potted plants around the outside of their apartments (they’d be in direct sunlight/rain).

Are there any veggie plants that do well in a pot? Unfortunately I live in an apartment, but my community does allow for people to have potted plants around the outside of their apartments (they’d be in direct sunlight/rain).
I don't know, but maybe someone reading this will be able to help! I've had mixed results with growing veggies in containers--they seem to require frequent watering and fertilizing to grow successfully in pots. that's why I'm excited to be able to plant in the ground again! Lettuce seems to do well in pots, so does basil and other herbs. Last year I successfully grew broccoli in big pots and it was the most low-maintenance vegetable that I planted. But when I've tried growing veggies like tomatoes, beans, and eggplant in containers they took so much effort just to keep them producing.

Still too early to plant here, but I’m planning:

Onions
Green, red, and orange peppers
Jalapenos
Green beans (bush)
Cherry tomatoes
San marzano tomatoes
Early girl and beefsteak tomatoes
Asparagus
Cucumbers
Zucchini

Over the past 3 years, we’ve converted our garden to raisedbeds. They are easy to maintain and easier on my back! I compost- leaves, grass clippings, and fruit and veggie scraps. Makes some really dark, rich soil! The compost is mixed in with the soil in the beds before planting. I also use the grass clippings and leaves to mulch around the plants. In the fall, I put a layer of mulched leaves on the beds, then turn them into the soil come spring.

I do a lot of canning and freezing. There is nothing like opening a jar of something I’ve canned and it just as fresh as the day it was put in there! This year I will concentrate on tomato juice, sauce, whole tomatoes, and salsa. I share quite a bit with a friend of ours and in return, he lets us pick black raspberries and black berries that grow on his property. :thumbsup2 DH also takes any excess into work to share.

And Sweettears has it right- there is nothing like a home grown tomato!:smooth:

I have done:
Herbs of all types
Lettuce
Spinach
Strawberries
Tomatoes
Bush Beans
Cucumbers
Bell Peppers
Jalapenos

All of these have done well. The only thing I have had issues with were yellow squash. They would grow and they would bloom but I never got any actual squash.

This year I am keeping it simple. A handful of herbs, one cherry tomato plant, a few bush beans, and strawberries.

3 weeks ago, we planted:
peach trees
apple trees
pomegranate trees
a fig tree
2 grape vines
2 blackberry bushes

Last weekend, I planted 2 orange bells bushes...they do really well here (AZ) on not much water, no fertilizer, and will grow up to 12' tall with tons of orange trumpet-looking flowers all over them from about March/April through late November. Bonus is that it will block part of the view of the 2 story house next door!

Next month, we're planting:
a Jamaican cherry tree
a Barbados cherry tree
a Royal Poinciana tree
and 6 Oldhamii bamboo - for the same purpose as the orange bells bushes...privacy. This bamboo is clumping, so it won't pop up 30' away.

3 weeks ago, we planted:
peach trees
apple trees
pomegranate trees
a fig tree
2 grape vines
2 blackberry bushes

Last weekend, I planted 2 orange bells bushes...they do really well here (AZ) on not much water, no fertilizer, and will grow up to 12' tall with tons of orange trumpet-looking flowers all over them from about March/April through late November. Bonus is that it will block part of the view of the 2 story house next door!

Next month, we're planting:
a Jamaican cherry tree
a Barbados cherry tree
a Royal Poinciana tree
and 6 Oldhamii bamboo - for the same purpose as the orange bells bushes...privacy. This bamboo is clumping, so it won't pop up 30' away.

Oooohhhhh, I'm so jealous of your cherry trees, they wont grow here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter