What Are You Reading Right Now? Part II (Incomplete book list in 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting look at medical Aid in Haiti.

51cTq8IIW%2BL._SS400_.jpg

I finished Rush Home Road on saturday - absolutely loved it :thumbsup2

Started The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain the same day and am hooked already. I am about a third of the way through, it is very intriguing and I can't wait to see what happens next

I'm reading 'Think of a Number' by John Verdon. It's a mystery/thriller and so far it's very good. I just hope the ending doesn't fall flat.

I read Snodgrass Vacation over the last day or so. It was an easy read but not as entertaining as I expected.

I read Snodgrass Vacation over the last day or so. It was an easy read but not as entertaining as I expected.

I felt the same way about it. After hearing about how funny it was, I was expecting a lot of LOL moments. Not so much!

I just finished a Nook freebie: The Journey Home. It was a short story- pretty good. A little confusing, as there were two story lines going on at the same time, but they were connected.

I am now reading a Nook sale book- Chick Palace- so far it is OK. There are parts that are kind of funny, but the author underlines a lot of words for emphasis and for some reason, that drives me a little crazy. I don't know why. :confused3

I got some B&N gift cards for Christmas, and I want to buy some books, but I want to spend the cards wisely too. I think I'll buy the next two Hunger Games books (I read the first one), and Rush Home Road. Any other suggestions for MUST BUY SOON books???

I read The Last Girls by Lee Smith. It was a New York Times bestseller and I like reading stories about friends and their dynamics but I don't think that I would recommend this one to anyone. But that's my opinion. Someone else might think it's a wonderful book. Apparently someone did because it got rave reviews.

It's about a group of 12 college girls that took a raft trip down the Mississippi River. That's just back ground history. It focuses on five of the girls. Years later, one of them dies in a questionable accident. The girl's husband asks the other four if they would recreate the trip by riding on a streamboat down the Mississippi and then throwing some of her ashes on the river once they get to New Orleans. The story winds back and forth to the past back to the present as you learn about the four women.

The Book Thief remains one of the most compelling books I've ever read, and I've re-read it because the characters became a part of my thoughts nearly every day.

I also loved Water for Elephants.

The Hunger Games was my favorite of the trilogy, but I really enjoyed all of them (and have a countdown to the movie on my calendar. ;) )

I just re-read a Kindle book that I read in October that was just the sweetest and sometimes most heartwrenching love story. Unfortunately, the Kindle version I got for free has so many typos in it that many may be too annoyed to get through it, but believe me, it is worth it. It is called "Taking Shots" by Toni Aleo.

I've been reading a lot of free Kindle books and am trying to decide what to buy now with an Amazon gift card.

The Book Thief remains one of the most compelling books I've ever read, and I've re-read it because the characters became a part of my thoughts nearly every day.

I wholeheartedly agree with you! One of my most favorite books!

I've recently read How High the Moon by Sandra King and Promises to Keep by Ann Tatlock.

There were both light and quick reads, not my usual preference but I enjoyed.

I'm currently reading Redfield Farm by Judith Redline Coopey

I recently finished "Forty-Four" which is about a girl who drowns and declared dead, but comes back to life 44 minutes later. Her near-death experience causes her to develop supernatural powers and she dreams about murders before they happen but never quite sees the murderer. It was so-so but had a nice twist at the end.

Before that I read "Guardian of Eden" by Leslie Dubois who also wrote the fabulous "Ain't No Sunshine." Unfortunately "Eden" was just mediocre - not nearly as captivating as "Sunshine."

I just started "Elvis Has Not Left the Building," a novel that answers the question: What if Elvis faked his own death, had extensive plastic surgery, and is now a seedy private investigator in L.A.? I like the premise so far!

Up next will be "11/23/63."

I just finished The Dirty Parts of The Bible. Not great but just ok. Really odd book and a strange ending:rotfl:I thought maybe it was going to be like a first person satire but it is a novel. Just started The Hunger Games tonight, so far so good. It reminds me of Juston Cronin's The Passage (which I loved)

I finally finished "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness. I started it a couple of months ago, but it was really slow at first, so I put it aside. I got back to it last week, and boy did it ever get good! Now I can't wait for the next book to come out to see what happens. I really enjoyed it, even though I was ready to give up on it.

Next up is Janet Evanovich's "Explosive Eighteen".

I finally finished "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness. I started it a couple of months ago, but it was really slow at first, so I put it aside. I got back to it last week, and boy did it ever get good! Now I can't wait for the next book to come out to see what happens. I really enjoyed it, even though I was ready to give up on it.

Next up is Janet Evanovich's "Explosive Eighteen".

good to know! I put "Discovery..." down a couple months ago and need to get back to it....that's encouraging!!!!:)

I am currently reading "A Thousand Miles Up the Nile" by Amelia B. Edwards, first published in 1877.

Although I am absolutely LOVING the book itself, I am reading it on my Nook, and as is often the case when very old books are prepared digitally, it is horrifically riddled with spelling, typing, and editing errors. That is detracting from the story a LOT. :sad2:

If you have read and enjoyed Elizabeth Peters' books about Amelia Peabody, her irrascible archaeologist husband Emerson, and their "catastrophically precocious" son Ramses; then you will enjoy this book as well. Mrs. Peters loosely based her Amelia and her adventures from this book.

If you have NOT read the aforementioned books by Mrs Peters, do so. They are wonderful. I own them all in hardcover.

I also loved Water for Elephants.

The Hunger Games was my favorite of the trilogy, but I really enjoyed all of them (and have a countdown to the movie on my calendar. ;) )
It sounds like we enjoy the same books, so I downloaded The Book Thief on my Kindle last night. I can't wait to read it!!!

I wholeheartedly agree with you! One of my most favorite books!
:goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter