• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Are You Reading Right Now? Part II (Incomplete book list in 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else read The Host by Stephenie Meyer? That is another book that I will probably re-read. I loved it! :thumbsup2

While I didn't love it, I absolutely thought it was better than "Twilight"! I did enjoy it, and have shared it with others.

While I didn't love it, I absolutely thought it was better than "Twilight"! I did enjoy it, and have shared it with others.
I didn't love it until the end. But, for some reason, the characters have stuck with me. Aren't they making a movie? Hopefully they will do a good job with that - couldn't be any worse than what they did with Twilight. :rolleyes:

Just started New York To Dallas by J.D. Robb last night. It's alright, so far. I've read a few other books in her "In Death" series, and found them to be interesting.

Just started On What Grounds (the first book in the Coffeehouse Mysteries). Pretty good so far. The writer's knowledge of coffee is almost overbearing at points, but she does weave it into the story nicely.

One For The Money, lets just blame the movie for this one :)

Is it a first-time-read or a re-read?

I have considered re-reading in prep for the movie, but why bother?? I can recite parts anyway. ;) I am a rabid Evanovich fan - :love: Ranger!!

Is it a first-time-read or a re-read?

I have considered re-reading in prep for the movie, but why bother?? I can recite parts anyway. ;) I am a rabid Evanovich fan - :love: Ranger!!

First timer, got curious because of the movie. I'm also reading Hunger Games due to the movie coming up as well.

I finished The Unit today. It was a futuristic story about how older people were treated. At age 50 for single women and age 60 for single men, people were admitted to the "Unit" and made dispensible. They were given everything they needed and were very well taken care of. But they were used for experimental testing or parts of them (organs, tissue, etc.) was harvested until they had their final harvesting in which they were put to death.

A very strange story indeed!

I finished The Unit today. It was a futuristic story about how older people were treated. At age 50 for single women and age 60 for single men, people were admitted to the "Unit" and made dispensible. They were given everything they needed and were very well taken care of. But they were used for experimental testing or parts of them (organs, tissue, etc.) was harvested until they had their final harvesting in which they were put to death.

This made me think of something I read in college (a hundred years ago) The Handmaids Tale. It was about collecting young perfect girls for the perfect reproduction systems.
Did anyone else have to read that?

I only saw the movie for The Handmaids Tale and hated it, took it as a sign I might hate the book too.

For those who have Kindles, Nooks, and other eReader devices, some of the wonderful authors of the past are now available. Of course, you can still find their hard copy books on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble

James Hilton

Neville Shute

Both authors wrote in the mid-Twentieth Century but their characters and novels remain a delight to read.

I'm reading The Help right now which I'm really enjoying.

I also just read Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs By Elissa Wall, which was pretty eye opening experience.

This sounds strange but interesting. I may read this one. I recently saw the movie "Never Let Me Go" and then read the book by Kazuo Ishiguro. It deals with a similar theme although with younger characters.

Presently, I am reading Vertical which is the sequel to Sideways (but not quite as good IMHO). I am ready to read the second Stieg Larsson Book also (The Girl Who Played With Fire).

I am currently reading Noughts and Crosses. It is OK but definitely aimed at the teen market and I find the writing style a little immature for me. My DD says it's a great book though so I'm determined to see it through to the end.

Once I finish, I am going to re-read Water for Elephants, having watched the movie for the second time last night and moaning to DH all the way through that it wasn't as good as the book :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter