What are your go to restaurants when going solo?

OP95

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I am currently planning a solo trip for the end of the year and will be staying at the dolphin , I’ve never really been the one to eat at restaurants by myself but thought I’d try something diffefent as I didn’t do it the last time around. Do you have any favourites? How far ahead should I book a reservation?

Last edited:
I look at traveling solo as an opportunity to eat at my favorite restaurants that might not appeal to my typical travel companions. In my everyday life, I prefer solo dining at the bar in restaurants, but those are not very common at WDW.

Typically, my solo routine includes Skipper Canteen at MK, Nomad Lounge at AK, Enchanted Rose at GF, and the food booths at Epcot (unless there’s not a festival, in which case I grab a quick service meal anywhere). If I do make a reservation, I make it as soon as I know I’m going if within 60 days, or at the 60-day mark if I am planning in advance of that.

Other restaurants with bars or lounges great for solo diners include California Grill, Topolino’s, Narcoossee’s, Citricos, The Hollywood Brown Derby. There are more, but these are restaurants I’ve considering doing walk up bar seating or actually dined at the bar/lounge. Also, I’ve had great luck getting Oga’s reservations for one, but that’s more for the environment than anything else.

I love my solo WDW trips and the dining flexibility they offer. Have fun researching and planning!

Staying at the Dolphin, I would definitely recommend the Fountain there. (Bonus AAA discount if you are a member). Dolphin has several very nice restaurants you can check out. I’ve gotten more comfortable dining solo anywhere. I also have done bar seating several places - used to do the Wave bar at the Contemporary which is now Steakhouse 71, love Nomad Lounge at AK for drinks & appetizers, Yak & Yeti at AK also has a few bar seats. Brown Derby lounge at DHS is outside and a nice place to relax and eat. Am going to try Geyser Point at WL next trip. Bar Riva at Riviera also looks interesting. None of these are reservation places.

for table service, book as soon as you can for best choice, 60 days out. I have eaten solo at Grand Floridian Cafe and Whispering Canyon. Several places at Disney Springs are on Open Table and bookable earlier than that. I like the Boathouse, City Works, and Raglan Road there. Raglan Road also has some bar seating you can eat at. Also, when making ADRs, sometimes tables for 1 don’t show up so you need to look for 2. Sometimes after booking for 2 you can modify it to 1, but there is no penalty for showing up solo.

I look at traveling solo as an opportunity to eat at my favorite restaurants that might not appeal to my typical travel companions. In my everyday life, I prefer solo dining at the bar in restaurants, but those are not very common at WDW.

Typically, my solo routine includes Skipper Canteen at MK, Nomad Lounge at AK, Enchanted Rose at GF, and the food booths at Epcot (unless there’s not a festival, in which case I grab a quick service meal anywhere). If I do make a reservation, I make it as soon as I know I’m going if within 60 days, or at the 60-day mark if I am planning in advance of that.

Other restaurants with bars or lounges great for solo diners include California Grill, Topolino’s, Narcoossee’s, Citricos, The Hollywood Brown Derby. There are more, but these are restaurants I’ve considering doing walk up bar seating or actually dined at the bar/lounge. Also, I’ve had great luck getting Oga’s reservations for one, but that’s more for the environment than anything else.

I love my solo WDW trips and the dining flexibility they offer. Have fun researching and planning!
Thank you for the reply. Was very helpful. I was looking Fantasmic dining packages too which also included the brown derby. I’ve hear good things about nomad I’ll make sure to have a look at the others!

Hahaha. When there is not a festival at Epcot.🤣

I go wherever I want and generally don't like bar dining. It can be really hit or miss in the quality of service though.

Places I enjoy as a solo, and I do a lot of solo dining!!

Lunch/Dinner: Mama Melrose, Liberty Tree Tavern, Wolfgang Puck Bar n Grill

Breakfast: Steakhouse 71, Ale n Compass, Tratorria al Forno

I'm solo 99% of the time and I have never had a bad experience at any restaurant on Disney property because I'm solo. Eat where you want and don't worry about it. People are far more into their vacations than to worry about you enjoying yourself as a solo.

I'm solo 99% of the time and I have never had a bad experience at any restaurant on Disney property because I'm solo. Eat where you want and don't worry about it. People are far more into their vacations than to worry about you enjoying yourself as a solo.
This. I go solo often and just eat wherever the menu looks interesting. I do enjoy Nomad Lounge at AK and HBD Lounge but I also eat at TS restaurants. I love The Fountain at dolphin, I stay there almost every trip. I don't book in advance. It's sort of a game for me to see what I can find day of. I usually go back to my room mid afternoon and that's when I'll book something for that night. I don't go to DS so can't help you there. I've never had any problems finding something day off but it might not be the "must do" places. Being solo also means it doesn't matter why time of day you eat and that helps. Oh, and I love Spice Road Tables at Epcot, forgot to add that.

Thank you everyone for the responses , making me look forward to dining out for a change at Disney. Will make sure to look at all the recommendations!

While I’ve never been to Disney solo, I want to do a marathon weekend one of these years and have been asking a friend who did. Between her experience and my own here is what I figured out.

1) most Disney Springs restaurants. My only concern is if I’m alone I wouldn’t want someone following me around.

2) most deluxe and moderate resort restaurants and QS

3) in AK I’d probably only do QS

4) DHS all the quick services, tune in lounge and brown derby lounge

5) a majority of EPCOT except maybe Teppan Edo and Garden Grill (shame because I love hibachi and TE I’d just feel awkward)

6) MK most quick service, maybe skipper canteen.

As a 60 year old woman, frequent solo traveler, I have never worried about someone following me around at DS. It's usually quite busy, lots of people around. The Lyft/Uber area is a bit of a walk though. I am usually a quiet person, but have managed to strike up conversations with people at several bars - Trader Sam's, though I haven't been there since Covid, more recently at Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar at DS, before my Boathouse dinner.

I travel to FL a few times a year for work, so I do regular solo trips to Disney World, often visiting the parks, but sometimes not.
When I'm solo I don't usually do a big sit-down meal. I'm happy to go to a lounge and have an appetizer and a cocktail, and that's enough for me.

At Disney Springs, I often end up at Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar. They often have happy hour specials on appetizers and cocktails, and it's a nice place to sit out by the water and watch the amphib cars come and go.
Another place I like at Disney Springs is the outside food window at Frontera Cocina. A taco or two, chips and guac, and a margarita, and I'm pretty happy.
I have also eaten at the bar in Homecomin'. The honey chicken biscuits are awesome and they have interesting moonshine cocktails.

At Animal Kingdom it's Nomad Lounge. The ribs appetizer is great, and it's such a nice spot to sit outside near the water.

At DHS I like the Brown Derby Lounge. Good appetizers, sliders, and margarita flights, and you can watch the Stormtrooper parades.
But lately my go-to there has been the Baseline Taphouse. The charcuterie was around $10 and really good. I can't believe you can get a good charcuterie board for $10 in Disney World.

At EPCOT I like to sample things from the food booths. Otherwise, I'll get the jambon-beurre sandwich from Les Halles in the France pavilion. This is the best ham and cheese sandwich ever. Add a dessert and cappucino and it's perfect.

From MK it's nice to take a boat to the Wilderness Lodge and eat at the Geyser Point grill. Or, go to the Poly and visit Trader Sam's.

As another frequent solo I agree, but weirdly enough I did have a bad experience with a server at Beaches & Cream on my 40th birthday trip back in May 2021. When I checked in for my ADR on the app I noted that it was my birthday, and when my server came around she made a comment about how I must not have had good friends if they let me eat alone on my birthday. It was a mean comment to make anyway, but extra hurtful considering I was solo on that trip not by choice, but because the Canadian border was still closed at the time and so my partner wasn't able to come with me, and at that point I hadn't seen her in over a year. Needless to say I was upset, stunned into silence actually and it ruined my night to the point it put me off ever wanting to eat there again (to be fair, it didn't help that the food was mediocre).

It was definitely an anomaly in my many experiences though, which is why it struck me.

As another frequent solo I agree, but weirdly enough I did have a bad experience with a server at Beaches & Cream on my 40th birthday trip back in May 2021. When I checked in for my ADR on the app I noted that it was my birthday, and when my server came around she made a comment about how I must not have had good friends if they let me eat alone on my birthday. It was a mean comment to make anyway, but extra hurtful considering I was solo on that trip not by choice, but because the Canadian border was still closed at the time and so my partner wasn't able to come with me, and at that point I hadn't seen her in over a year. Needless to say I was upset, stunned into silence actually and it ruined my night to the point it put me off ever wanting to eat there again (to be fair, it didn't help that the food was mediocre).

It was definitely an anomaly in my many experiences though, which is why it struck me.
Awful comment! I would’ve felt the same way. I’m sorry she ruined your birthday meal.

Awful comment! I would’ve felt the same way. I’m sorry she ruined your birthday meal.
Thanks, yeah it was pretty awful. My one consolation is it wasn't my actual day, which was the total opposite. CRT was amazing and even though this was in the reopening period when Cinderella was still only waving from a distance, she had several distanced conversations with me. I know some shy away from things like character meals as a solo guest, but in my experiences characters tend to give you a little extra attention when they see you're solo. And cast are always great in general, like I said B&C was so weird precisely because my solo dining experiences have always been the total opposite. On that same trip at GF Cafe I had a great server who chatted soccer with me when he saw my jersey. I tend to prefer lounges though just because I like to be more spontaneous when solo than on trips with my partner and I don't like to be locked into as many ADRs. Though walk up wait list makes that very easy now too. I got Liberty Tree Tavern on July 4th, which shocked me.

I’ve seen lots of people solo dining at WDW and 9 out of 10 times it appears that the servers go out of their way to make them feel comfortable.

That totally stinks. I would have been tempted to leave then and there. :(

Being a south Floridian and DVC member, I am up at Disney 4-5 times a year - there's always at least 1 trip with family, and one trip with friends, and at least 2 solo trips. I really love the solo trips because I let those be MY Disney trips, where the others are OUR trips or THEIR trips and I'm there too.

I have no qualms whatsoever having solo meals at any and all restaurants on property - I get tables rather than bar seating (unless tables are booked and I really want to try a restaurant, where bar is the only option). I've hit probably most restaurants on property, in the parks and all the resorts too (haven't done Victoria & Albert's, Flying Fish, Jaleo, Paddlefish, Takumi Tei, or Toledo - it's probably obvious I do not eat seafood, which is the main reason I've skipped most of those - though I have eaten at a few seafood-heavy restaurants - Coral Reef, Boathouse).

My favorites for dinner? Hacienda de San Angel, Liberty Tree Tavern, Tiffin's, Jiko, Topolino's, Steakhouse 71, Whispering Canyon, House of Blues, Art Smith's Homecoming, Enzo's Hideaway.

For casual/bar/regular restaurant food: D Luxe, T-Rex, Rainforest, Rix, Via Napoli, Big River, Geyser Point, and Three Bridges.

I've done all of those solo, many times, and thoroughly enjoyed all!

I have done solo several times and always dined where I wanted and been treated wonderfully.
I have done solo at California Grill, Flying Fish, Tuttio Italia, Jiko, Citricos (before the remodel) and Narccossees. Been treated very well at all of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter