What are your thoughts on asking for books in lieu of cards for a baby shower?

It's absolutely the thought that counts, but in general, the books I see at the dollar store are nice, but not the kinds I'd personally consider keeping forever. They are more of the stuff that a baby/toddler is likely to eventually outgrow. If I put a message in a book to gift as a keepsake, personally I'd choose something longer lasting that I'd want to keep forever.
I think that's putting a lot of pressure on books multiple people are going to give you such in this situation we are talking about. I think we would like to think people cherish the gift forever it's just as likely that book you spent a while looking over, thinking it was a good book and spent $$ now ended up in the same place as that supposed Dollar store book YKWIM?

I'm not trying to sing the praises of the Dollar store books TBH because I do understand get what you're saying on a personal level. I was more responding to the sentiment that I got from your comment that if one bought from there it meant less. I think as a giver we just go with the hope that our gift is well-received.

I certainly understand the overthinking the gift thing..I do that a lot myself (big time on cards). I really try hard to think if they would like it and so on. You should have seen me in Dollar Tree looking over the 5 or 6 options for bags for baby showers lol.

Either way I got ya where you're coming from :)

I love this! I had a cousin who did this, although it wasn't specifically instead of a card. It was "build a library for baby," the book could be the gift, and they could be books baby would grow into (like classic children's books). Some people gave a smaller book and another gift; for some of us the gift was the book. I gave her the combined Winnie-the-Pooh/House at Pooh Corner stories, which has always been one of my favorites. pooh:

I recently attended a baby shower where it was requested to give a book instead of a card. I thought it was a great idea! I went online to purchase a gift from the registry and bought a few items for the nursery which were unicorn-themed. The website showed me “items you may also be interested in” including a couple books about unicorns! Picked one, it was a couple dollars, done!
I think most registries have enough variety of item prices that people can factor in the cost of the book and spend less on the gift if they need to.

I often give books as gifts to children, so would be happy to participate. I think it’s fine to make your wishes known, as long as you view it as a suggestion, not a demand, and are gracious in accepting all gifts and cards you receive. Like a registry, guests can always opt to disregard it and pick something of their own choosing if they are so inclined.

Congratulations OP! Sounds like you’ll be a great mother. Reading to/with your children is one of the best things you can do for them. ::yes::

So no card, people would give a book instead of a card. BUT they still buy a gift, right?
In this area, the book is in place of the card, but the gift is still very much expected. You sign the flyleaf or inside cover of the book.

I’ve been to several showers with the book over cards request. The book becomes the card as you write a message to the child in the book. I also buy a regular gift from the registry.

As an early childhood professional, I adore this trend! Reading to infants and young children is essential to stimulate language skills, cognitive thinking skills, and enhance memory.

Both my daughters in law requested books in lieu of cards. They got a great start on a library for the baby. Duplicates can be donated.

Wow, fantastic idea. As an elementary school teacher I love Children's books and even give them out for Halloween. The kids love receiving them. Some ideas would be to give the cloth books that the young babies can chew on and then they are washable. The young one also like the cardboard books because they can easily turn the pages - gross motor control. But any book will work and will encourage the parents to read to their children. Teachers can tell if a child has had the wonderful experience of listening to someone read a favorite book to them. The young children love books that repeat phrases and have a pattern. YES- give books. Oh yes, I also give some powdered electrolyte packets to mix with water for when the baby is throwing up and needs to replenish body fluids (always happens at night when you have a hard time getting out to buy some) My favorite is what I call a snot sucker - an aspirator - because it takes a long time for babies to learn to blow noses! Easier to suck the snot out so the baby can breath again.

Nope. the Dollar Tree has books too. Or our's does anyway. And it doesn't matter if its a little old for the child, in fact, its best if there are books from different age groups.

Nope what? Our dollar store doesn't have books. If I order the gift online, I have to either make a separate online purchase or visit a store to purchase a book. Its not a huge hassle at the end of the day and I would comply if this is requested, but my opinion still stands that it wouldn't be my preference if it was a shower for me.

Nope what? Our dollar store doesn't have books. If I order the gift online, I have to either make a separate online purchase or visit a store to purchase a book. Its not a huge hassle at the end of the day and I would comply if this is requested, but my opinion still stands that it wouldn't be my preference if it was a shower for me.

Wouldn’t you be making an extra stop to get the card then? Just go to Target or Walmart instead of Dollar Tree. You said in your previous post that maybe you were over thinking it and I think maybe you are.

And of course, your shower should always be your own preference.

I was thinking back to my last 4 showers and they all asked for books. I think it’s a pretty common request.
But what people do not realize at the time is that when a person sometimes just an acquaintance buys a significant books title, for example, "I'll Love You Forever," that takes away the specialness of giving that book to the child on a specific occasion. I know someone who gave the entire set of Harry Potter at a baby shower. Where is the fun for the child of going to the book store and successively getting a new title after finishing a book? To love books is great and a goal most people would like to have for their kids but, they do not think about the fact that the love of books often comes from the experience, excitement and anticipation attached to the acquisition of that book. If someone dumps a library in your lap it's not going to make you love books.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter