• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What can I do on Board ?

Irishgrl

Mouseketeer
We are sailing on The Magic on Sunday and Tuesday will be 1 year ago since we lost our little girl when she was born too soon. We wanted to do something special in Memory of her but, not sure what is allowed and what isn't.

We thought about getting some flowers and tossing them over board or getting some balloons and letting them go. Does any one have any suggestion?

We are sailing on The Magic on Sunday and Tuesday will be 1 year ago since we lost our little girl when she was born too soon. We wanted to do something special in Memory of her but, not sure what is allowed and what isn't.

We thought about getting some flowers and tossing them over board or getting some balloons and letting them go. Does any one have any suggestion?

:hug: Sorry for your loss. But unfortunately neither of your ideas will work. Disney doesn't allow balloons on board and you aren't supposed to throw anything overboard.

Maybe just a quiet moment of remembrance at sunrise or sunset. The sunrises and sunsets can be quite beautiful.

I am sorry for your loss. It's lovely that you want to remember her this way.

I know they do not allow things to be thrown overboard, so I think releasing balloons is likely not permitted. I think its a safety concern and also an environmental concern.

Flowers are organic though, so I'm not sure if that might be treated any differently. I think you would need special permission though. I would suggest asking DCL to make sure.

So sorry for your loss!

I second the idea of a quiet remembrance. Unless you are in port and can go to a beach or otherwise buy balloons somewhere. No balloons onboard, not allowed to put anything overboard, and I believe flowers cannot be brought onto or off the ship (if you buy one of the floral stateroom gifts you have to leave it behind at the end of the cruise).

Enjoy your cruise!

So very sorry for your loss! I agree with the quite moment as the sun sets into the ocean. It's a beautiful sight.

I just saw another thread where someone mentioned they threw a message in a bottle off the ship, and folks said that it's actually illegal to throw anything off the ship. DCL gets a hefty fine (MJ mentioned $200,000) if anything goes off the side of the ship and it's found out by the authorities.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3190891

Here's another thread where this is discussed:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1103120

Disney get fined if it is found out that things are thrown overboard....during the August repo some folks were throwing trinkets off the side of the ship to the many kids gathered to watch the Magic sail thru the Canal.....there was announcement by the Captain to stop immediately....found out they could be fined about $200,000.00.

I am not 100% sure but I think every cruise line has a policy about throwing things overboard....I even remember hearing the CM's onboard the Magic talk about how they get in trouble each time a vollyball or basketball somehow goes overboard. I must be a Maritime law.

Sayhello

If her birthday falls on a port day I would find some balloons in port and release them from land. An alternative would be to release origami birds on the water/ocean.

Do you have a veranda stateroom? If yes, I would bring flower petals (fresh or dried) and sprinkle them from your veranda at sunrise. Yes you would technically be breaking the rules, so keep whatever decision you make to yourself! :)

My nephew died last year of a fatal disease at 5 weeks old (at home with us). We released balloons on his first birthday. I feel your loss and am so sorry for it. I understand your need to mark the day.

Thank you every one I wasn't sure about the flowers but, I figured the balloons were No No. That's what I figured I would ask here before I did anything.

Sorry for your loss... and I do understand.

A quiet remembrance would be lovely...

Another thought, if you are going to a beach is perhaps finding a special sea shell or similar and keeping that.. drawing a heart in the sand...

Do whatever is going to give you both comfort. You may find that it will be something you will do every year forever.

Best to you.

Sorry for your loss... and I do understand.

A quiet remembrance would be lovely...

Another thought, if you are going to a beach is perhaps finding a special sea shell or similar and keeping that.. drawing a heart in the sand...

Do whatever is going to give you both comfort. You may find that it will be something you will do every year forever.

Best to you.

Two wonderful ideas!!!!!

Have a private talk with the Cruise Director and ask what is possible. Bring a couple of ideas and have him/her help you out. I know of people who have brought loved ones ashes and have had a ceremony. Believe me the Cruise Director is used to these requests and they will help you.

Have a private talk with the Cruise Director and ask what is possible. Bring a couple of ideas and have him/her help you out. I know of people who have brought loved ones ashes and have had a ceremony. Believe me the Cruise Director is used to these requests and they will help you.

This.

I am sure the cruise director will help you plan something very nice, and probably give you the coordinates of wherever you released the balloons / spread some flowers ECT.

I think sprinkling some flowers off the secret deck, deck 7 aft, at sunset would be lovely.

:grouphug:

Apparently yes, there is another thread mentioning it is gone.

Yikes. I am sure we will have some trip reports soon from its first sailing, hopefully we can find out of sure. That was one of my favorite places on the ship to hang out when I need some non-crowded time.

Yikes. I am sure we will have some trip reports soon from its first sailing, hopefully we can find out of sure. That was one of my favorite places on the ship to hang out when I need some non-crowded time.

It was a live report from Magic that reported its gone.

OP I'm so sorry for your loss. I can imagine. In the I fathomable amount of time that my mom has been gone, I have found that the quiet moments are actually quite a bit better than doing things. That's for me though.

So, so sorry for your loss! :-( I agree with having a special moment. Maybe on Castaway Cay, or another beach, you can find a special shell and just sit with it a while. Think about or say whatever you would have if you did something from the ship. Then, put the shell in the water.

P.S. For everyone, please NEVER release balloons! What goes up must come down, in the form of litter. Many end up in the ocean, where turtles and other animals mistake them for jellyfish and they die. :-(

Perhaps you can purchase flowers in one of the ports and take them to a quiet beach area to release.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter