What can you take on rides that use lockers?

Twinsmom2009

Earning My Ears
Hi All,
I am trying to figure out how to avoid having to use the lockers on rides... We are staying on site and our kids are 10 so they don't require a whole lot of stuff anymore :) Could you potentially carry on a wallet and phone if it fits in your pockets? What about one of those waist type fanny packs (not the most attractive but might be most practical)? I figure it will be worth it to avoid the lockers...

Thanks!

Last edited:
For the rides that don't have a metal detector (for example, the Harry Potter Rides, MIB and the Mummy), I've been able to bring my cell phone in my pocket and my sunglasses tucked into my shirt. If there is a metal detector (like the Hulk or RRR), forget it - everything goes in the locker. I'm curious as to what others have experienced with the fanny pack as I have never brought one, but would be interested to if only to throw in a small bottle of sunscreen and stuff that can't fit in my pockets!

For the rides that don't have a metal detector (for example, the Harry Potter Rides, MIB and the Mummy), I've been able to bring my cell phone in my pocket and my sunglasses tucked into my shirt. If there is a metal detector (like the Hulk or RRR), forget it - everything goes in the locker. I'm curious as to what others have experienced with the fanny pack as I have never brought one, but would be interested to if only to throw in a small bottle of sunscreen and stuff that can't fit in my pockets!

If I wear a fanny pack I can take it on every ride except Hulk and RRR.....you can take it on FJ too. As long it’s the three prong clasp type and it doesn’t interfere with the harness in any way, it’s fine......

I have a Kipling Multiple......holds a fair amount......

On non-metal detector rides, you can take anything you can cram in your pockets. I can fit my little camera in there so I don't have to use the lockers... except at Hulk and RRR.

I also rode Mummy once with my little camera in its bag clipped to my belt loop via carabiner... not sure if no one noticed or if that is actually ok. It was unintentional on my part.

I have never been to Universal. I know this is off topic, but why are there metal detectors on some rides?

I should note, it's pretty serious. I had some loose change in my pocket on Forbidden Journey. Around the womping willow when you're tilted back I could hear ding ding ding above my head; the change was falling out of my pocket and hitting the seat above me!

I'm positive I would have lost my phone if I had it on me, I didn't realize how easily the change fell out of my pocket.

My park bag is a (now discontinued) crossbody that converts to a "waist pack" with a 3 prong clasp. It was allowed on everything we rode including FJ (we didn't try the big coasters). I just had to change the strap and move it around my waist. My hubby and sons typically wear hiking pants / shorts with heavy duty velcro pocket closures for their phones / wallets.

Sorry to sabotage the post but why is a fanny pack allowed on a ride but a crossbody is not? I feel like they are both equally secure.

Sorry to sabotage the post but why is a fanny pack allowed on a ride but a crossbody is not? I feel like they are both equally secure.

Just speculation, but the unwritten rule is that a fanny pack with a "three prong clasp" is allowable. I think the clasp ensures its secure. With the crossbody bag, its just around your person and I know on some rides that don't require lockers, they've asked me to put it in the pouch so it wasn't on me potentially interfering with a safety belt.

For OP, I wouldn't go out of your way or stuff your pockets just to avoid the lockers. I carry a regular size cross-body purse with what I need and just use the lockers when needed. They aren't as much of a hassle as some perceive and with the new lockers that use your ticket to unlock them, its a faster process.

Thank you for your responses! I may invest in a fanny pack to make life easier :). It's good to know that the lockers aren't as bad as I have read! That's what got me thinking about trying to avoid them! We don't tend to carry a lot of stuff with us so we'll have to see how it goes! The last time I was at Universal/Islands of Adventure we had a couple of people who didn't do rides and always held the bags so I don't have much experience with the locker situation... Thanks again!

Thank you for your responses! I may invest in a fanny pack to make life easier :). It's good to know that the lockers aren't as bad as I have read! That's what got me thinking about trying to avoid them! We don't tend to carry a lot of stuff with us so we'll have to see how it goes! The last time I was at Universal/Islands of Adventure we had a couple of people who didn't do rides and always held the bags so I don't have much experience with the locker situation... Thanks again!

Heading to the rear of the locker areas can make a difference too....everyone clumps to the front usually, we head to the back and never have a problem. Particularly in the Potter rides.

The lockers themselves are fine, it`s when 25 people from the one family clamber around one locker to empty it, that`s when you have the biggest issues.

So you're allowed to take your phone on FJ even though it sounds like there is a decent risk of it falling out?

So you're allowed to take your phone on FJ even though it sounds like there is a decent risk of it falling out?

Yes. The difference being, if it falls out of your pocket it isn't going to smack somebody else on the head like it might on the coasters.

I may invest in a fanny pack to make life easier

Use a lanyard so you don't accidentally lock your ticket in the locker. Add a credit card/cash to the lanyard and you're good-to-go for the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter