What city to visit in California after DL?

OFF TO WDW!

Mouseketeer
We are trying to plan a trip to DL (Our first) and would like to visit another city in california. We would have about three to four days days and do not know anything about California.

We are flying into "Long Beach" and can leave out of any airport. I heard that San Fran is beautiful, or even that there is an Amtrak that rides the coast.

Can anyone help with ideas and suggestions of what to hook up with our trip to DL (And no amusement parks please! LOL)

Thanks

:)

Well the first thing I would do is get a travel book about California. It is hard to pick just one city, but I would suggest San Diego!!! It is about 2 hours south of Anaheim. It has a world class zoo, Sea World, Coronado Island, and beaches.

Well the first thing I would do is get a travel book about California. It is hard to pick just one city, but I would suggest San Diego!!! It is about 2 hours south of Anaheim. It has a world class zoo, Sea World, Coronado Island, and beaches.

Thanks.

I'll narrow it down. San Diego or San Francisco? ( We would fly there)

Two adults and a 13 year old.

Thanks

:)

We are flying into "Long Beach" and can leave out of any airport. I heard that San Fran is beautiful, or even that there is an Amtrak that rides the coast.

You heard right. San Francisco is beautiful and Amtrak has trains that ride pretty much along the coast. Santa Barbara is beautiful - and on the Amtrak route. If you're interested in the coastal cities there are many beautiful cities along Route 1 which hugs the coast from Santa Barbara to just south of San Francisco - Big Sur and Monterey.

San Francisco is always overwhelming to me, so if you want a more relaxed trip I would suggest San Diego. But if you want a more high-energy trip, San Francisco all the way!

San Diego has the San Diego Zoo, Sea World San Diego, San Diego Safari Park (* my personal favorite), Scripps Aquarium, Balboa Museums, Torrey Pines State Reserve, Coronado Island, and warmer beaches than the Los Angeles area.

San Francisco has the San Francisco Zoo, Aquarium of the Bay, Cal Academy of Sciences, Cable Cars, several bridges, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Ghiradelli Square, Alcatraz, Chinatown, etc. There's lots to do, but it's all more condensed than the southern cities.

I left my heart in San Francisco. Has anybuddy seen it? We love the 17-mile drive, Carmel, and Monterey. If you and/or your DH are golfers you probubbly know all about the championship courses in the area. Green fees are astronomical :scared1: but it's nice to drive through the area and see the deer. and the mansions. and the coastline.

If it were me, SF.

But I would rent a car and spend a day driving up the coast. While Amtrak is scenic, the best part of the coast is seen by car only.

I would stop in Monterrey Bay and visit the aquarium on day two. Then spend day 3 and 4 in SF. Lots to do there, just tons. A citypass can help you to see the main sites and set priorities.

With just a few days, I would do San Diego. But, with more time I would drive the coast to SF. The Monterey Peninsula is one of my favorite places in the world and I think everyone should try to see it at least once in their lives. SF is nice, it's just a little bit too much like home(Seattle) to me to be a big deal, but you will find lots of things to see and do. :thumbsup2

I heard that San Fran is beautiful

You heard right.

:thumbsup2

While San Diego is quite nice, my vote is for San Francisco. It's true there's a lot to do here, but don't worry about doing everything. Just look at what's here and do what looks most interesting to you.

The GG Bridge is obviously our E Ticket. And there are the staples that Cali_Sparrow mentioned. But since you're on this message board I would also recommend not missing The Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio. It's amazing.

As mentioned San Diego is a great city -in fact, we plan on retiring there in 10-15 years. That being said, there is NO way either the adults or the 13yo should pass up the opportunity to drive the Pacific Coast Hwy up to SF. It is a mind-boggling ride, just one breath-taking view after another. If I had that much time, I would leave Anaheim taking the 101 with a planned late day tour at Hearst Castle -staying a night in Paso Robles or Cambria region(with a quick stop in Solvang if time permits for lunch -split pea soup or schnitzel ...out of the way, but an interesting Danish town). The next day I would drive the coast up to Monterrey, allowing all day -as mentioned, visit the aquarium. Then head to SF for the rest of your time and fly out of there. Also, don't miss Muir Woods -about 10mi north of the city ..I think you "wood" be impressed.

http://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm

Trust me, you can visit San Diego anytime -and will love it!

My vote is for San Fran:cheer2:

I have lived in the Bay Area my entire life and I have never met one out of towner who did not love San Francisco. If you can drive up the coast, you guys will love it, looks of pretty sights along the way.

If you do decide on S.F. do not miss out on Chinatown, Fishermans Wharf and of course driving across the Golden Gate. There is also Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Theme Park about 20-30 minutes away (I prefer Disney rides by far but most 13 year olds I know love the thrill rides).

Have fun whatever you decide, you really can't go wrong with either city!

San Diego is the best bet if you have kids. They will love San Diego Zoo and Legoland. There are many other attractions around there. You can get CA book from AAA office and plan accordingly. Have Fun :dance3:

As someone from FL who has visited CA in this type of trip three times I would say look carefully at Monterey, SF and Napa / Sonoma. Monterey is probably my favorite place, SF is the only 'real' city I have ever been to that I think I could live in and Sonoma is where I would live if I could choose anywhere and had to work (vineyard owner, of course).

I have to agree on a first visit you should hit San Diego. It's close and you can enjoy Socal at its finest. San Fran and Monterey are wonderful but it requires a drive of around 6+ hours. Stick to the south for your first time. If you have the funds then stay at the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego. It's right on the beach and is consider my many as the best beach in Socal. So much history there. All the living president's have stayed there as well as other famous people. We loved the island feel. It's where the Grand Floridian at WDW got its idea. I have many pictures that I can share if you feel like it might be something your interested in. Again the price is very expensive and they like to charge for everything but they sometimes run deals like buy 2 get 1 free.

I have to go with my Bay Area friends on this one...I think San Francisco is more what you're looking for.

The Amtrak ride from LA - SF is AMAZING to say the least and there's so much to see in San Francisco that you really can't see anywhere else. No offense to the San Diego fans, but it's really just a bigger version of any beach town on the Socal coast, haha.

San Diego weather remains pleasant year around. There are so many things to do and see in and around this place. It has incredible beaches, architecture, museums and gardens. Balboa Park in San Diego is packed with so many good things to do. If you like theme parks then SeaWorld is a great spot. San Diego Zoo is also worth visiting.

We have choosen Santa Barbara this trip.....I remember a couple of years ago driving past SB and drooling and wanting to have more time to stop and check it out and told myself that next time we would make it a priority to stay there as it seemed like a great summer/beach town......Looking forward to the short drive from Anaheim there and spending some time in the warm waters as last trip we loved loved Santa Cruz but at the same time the water was fairly cold that far North.....regardless we are also going back to Santa Cruz....I guess I love Santa........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter