• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What common Boyish/Girlish things do you NOT do?

Fun thread OP!!

I am a woman.
- I don't wear any make up ever!
-I am 52 and have never had a mani or pedi!
-I have never colored my hair. (To be fair, even at 52, I don't have any grey hair though, maybe I would feel different if I did?)
-I only put on a dress for weddings and funerals, but not always, sometimes I will wear slacks.
-I always wear sneakers of sandals. I own one pair of shoes that are almost 20 years old. These are worn with the above mentioned dress to funerals or weddings.
-I don't like to shop to just shop. I do enjoy shopping for Christmas gifts for my family using a list. I also LOVE looking in the gift shops in the National Parks for about 10 minutes.
-I dread going to weddings and if there is a way to get out of going, I am thrilled
-I have no nice jewelry and have no desire to. In the above mentioned National Park gift shops, I will look at earrings in the $10-$20 range. The only jewelry I wear besides my wedding band are earrings that I have purchased at places that are special to me.

I am surprised to see so many like minded ladies on here!! I truly thought that I was the only female that hated going to weddings or that never, ever wears make up!

I don't wear makeup, I don't wear jewelry, I don't wear "fashiony" clothing, I can't walk in any heel higher than a cowboy boot, I've no interest in men, and while I don't hate Disney princesses, I'm not super fond of the classic ones (Mulan's not a princess, don't try to make her one). I'm very "jeans and t-shirt" in how I dress, though I do like a quality woolen plaid skirt, especially female kilts. I hate fruity cocktails. If I'm going to drink hard liquor, I just drink it straight. Only been to one wedding in my life, and it was my sister's, so it was a Halloween, costumed goth wedding with lots of drinking, so it was fun. The crop of princesses from, say, Tangled onwards is much better, though.

I am a woman:

I DO
Wear heels daily (see avatar), get manicures semi-regularly and have long stiletto nails, I love shoes and clothes and own way too many of them, wear mascara at least if I'm leaving the house (I think I look about 12 without any makeup on). I LOVE romance novels and Hallmark movies.

However:
I HATE shopping for no reason (I'll browse online forever but I don't like going to the mall), I watch more sports and follow them more closely than my husband, I'm obsessed with books and movies set in WWII (no romance required). I'm also very comfortable with tools and general handy work and my brother-in-law often asks me for a hand before he'd ask my husband for help. I help out on my in-law's ranch too and will ear tag calves and help out with branding happily.

I wear skirts and dresses about 50% of the time and the other 50% I live in jeans and tee shirts (I just rock heels with them). I'm the most "girly" tomboy you're ever likely to meet.

As a 49 male. I love to shop. Wear fragrance and look neat. I love guns and own many. But hate to hunt. Not really into “man” things like socially drinking beer and hanging out. When guys did this in the Military, me and my close friends went after the girls...lol. And succeeded. I like scotch and cigars but enjoy those alone. Sue me.
Also.... I do like nice footwear.
I’m a Professional firefighter. But I don’t particularly like to get dirty. Unless doing a job. Go figure.

Last edited:

I’m a girl.

I don’t paint my nails
I have about four pairs of shoes
I hate weddings
I couldn’t care less about jewelry (and would never wear any expensive jewelry.
I think wine tastes like ear wax
I like fishing and am not bothered by worms
I don’t like buying clothes at all
I love mowing the yard
l
Sounds like my sister.

I don’t wear makeup
I’ve never had a mani or pedi or my eyebrows “done”.
I don’t wear heels
I do love perfume, shoes, purses/bags and dresses though
I’m not afraid of bugs or snakes
I have no problem doing dirty work.
I can change my own tires (but glad to have AAA lol).

I am female and my fingernails are almost always a mess. My ugly toenails rarely see the light of day. I wear minimal makeup, but only when I expect to be away from home more than a couple of hours. I stink at accessorizing, own very little jewelry, and my ears aren’t pierced. Just so you don’t think I’m a total slob, I like nice clothes and shoes and always want my hair to look perfect.

As a woman, I don't wear dresses or skirts unless to a wedding or funeral. And even then most times I wear pants. I offset that by wearing heels though.
I also don't like talking on the phone for hours at a time. I was a weird teenager. Even now, few people have my cellphone number and I rarely text.

You are my hero.

Can I just tell you how exhausting it is to be married to a Marine and have to deal with all those other wives and their girly nonsense and their coffee get togethers and MLM parties and "support groups?" 21 years and counting. I probably should have joined the Corps myself, but I'm nowhere near badass enough to be a Marine. I so respect all the female Marines I have met, though.
What is girly nonsense?

I do the following:
Love shopping
Have more shoes and coats than any one person should own
Get manicures/pedicures
Get my eyebrows waxed
Get my hair colored
I wear dresses/skirts
I wear perfume
Wear make-up

I do not:
Like Hallmark/Lifetime movies
Cheesy romance novels

I also really like football (NFL and College) and college basketball.

What is girly nonsense?

I do the following:
Love shopping
Have more shoes and coats than any one person should own
Get manicures/pedicures
Get my eyebrows waxed
Get my hair colored
I wear dresses/skirts
I wear perfume
Wear make-up

I do not:
Like Hallmark/Lifetime movies
Cheesy romance novels

I also really like football (NFL and College) and college basketball.

In the context of what I posted, it includes things like:

Manicure parties

Coffee/tea socials that are themed and have games related to being a Marine spouse

"Seminars" where the wives learn how to do "manly" things like basic auto maintenance and home repairs

Potlucks, potlucks, potlucks

"Bunco and Wine" parties

"Mommy boot camp" classes

Sign decorating parties (when a homecoming is approaching)

"Chick flicks" movie watching parties (with more wine!)

Bible study groups focused on marriage and being a "supportive wife"

There are many more. I roll my eyes harder and harder with each one.

In the context of what I posted, it includes things like:

Manicure parties

Coffee/tea socials that are themed and have games related to being a Marine spouse

"Seminars" where the wives learn how to do "manly" things like basic auto maintenance and home repairs

Potlucks, potlucks, potlucks

"Bunco and Wine" parties

"Mommy boot camp" classes

Sign decorating parties (when a homecoming is approaching)

"Chick flicks" movie watching parties (with more wine!)

Bible study groups focused on marriage and being a "supportive wife"

There are many more. I roll my eyes harder and harder with each one.
Oh ok. You said girly nonsense AND then listed the get togethers and such. I thought you were referencing different things.

Oh ok. You said girly nonsense AND then listed the get togethers and such. I thought you were referencing different things.

There is more, like the insistence that one wears a DRESS and HEELS to every type of ceremony in which your Marine is participating. This can include promotions, changes of command, etc. If you don't wear a dress and heels, you are "reflecting poorly on your husband." There is more stuff like that, like ways you "should" behave that are very sexist and archaic and that these wives cling to with all their might. Like, a pox be on any woman who shows up to the ball in anything BUT a floor length gown. They are a very outdated bunch of women, for the most part.

Personally, I think tools marketed for women in "feminine" colors is a stupid idea but if it makes more people comfortable using them nothing wrong w/ that.

I think the main benefit to them is that they're made for smaller hands. Making them pink just feels condescending.
When I worked for the brewery I wanted to buy a set of pink tools for the Ale House. It never failed that maintenance would come down to fix something and walk off with my tools. Then when I went to use one it was missing. I figured the guys would be less likely to keep the pink pliers or screwdriver than the standard ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter