What common issues do you have with your job?

Short handedness is probably the biggest thing. If they would just hire enough people, our lives would be easier. Between vacations and call-ins, we never have enough people to get everything done.

The other thing is hard to explain. It is just the thing where we have had multiple meetings and the same thing is said over and over, yet nothing gets resolved. This issue has been going on for 3 years. At one point about a year ago, we had the "big boss" literally stand up during the meeting and and say "well this is a waste of time" and walk out. Just recently, we are having more meetings about this same issue and it is SO frustrating...

We are allowed X amount of $$$.
You want X amount of something done... that is way more than the $$$ we have.
You won't budge on the amount of $$$ we are allowed... you still want this done... it is NOT going to happen.

3 years of this same issue! The meetings almost follow a script :rolleyes:

Preschool worker here.If people could show up,that would be wonderful.If we could get some people in the door to apply,that would be great,too.If we could get a few people who are useless and can't follow direction to quit or be fired,that would be the best of all.I'm clearly dreaming.

I’m retired, worked as a waitress in a 100 seat diner. 99% of the customers were great, and quite a few exceptionally wonderful ones too. But then there were those few who were just horrible to wait on. Some didn’t tip, Ever. No matter who was waiting on them. Some were super demanding. Some let their kids make a Royal mess on the table (like the ones who let their baby finger paint on the table with mashed potatoes and gravy) and floor and not bother to clean any of it up themselves. Oh, there was one couple who didn’t ever tip, came in one day arguing with each other and sat at separate tables so I had two tables to clear when they left. One woman followed me into the kitchen one time yelling at me because I took too long to get her husband’s coffee, and this was on a Monday night where I was the only waitress working, waiting on about 50 people all in different stages of dining, answer the phone and taking to go orders, running the register and bussing tables. But, as I said, most customers were great and I did enjoy my job. Until those few rotten customers walked in the door🙂

I am in education. In every school I have worked, there is that ONE person who makes everyone's lives miserable. I am in my second year as a school admin at a school new for me, and now that the first year honeymoon has worn off, THAT person has emerged. I cannot stand her nastiness and rudeness. I am already thinking of leaving and just retiring!

Preschool worker here.If people could show up,that would be wonderful.If we could get some people in the door to apply,that would be great,too.If we could get a few people who are useless and can't follow direction to quit or be fired,that would be the best of all.I'm clearly dreaming.

Yes! And if they could go at least 15 minutes without pulling out their phone would be great. Especially when we aren't even supposed to have then anywhere near our bodies!!

Supervisors who have never done your job and want to change the "work flow" until they realize there is a reason the work flow is the way it is.

But you don't have a problem with them any longer.... Correct? I thought you retired.

Supervisors who have never done your job and want to change the "work flow" until they realize there is a reason the work flow is the way it is.

Sort of this. Don't assign a task to me and then proceed to micromanage me at every step. If you think you can do it better, please do so as I have a lot of other crap that needs attention anyway.

Americans with Disabilities Act was not respected by bosses, not respected by or enforced by the administration and not corrected by the people who were supposed to advocate, I suspect this is very common :(

I retired just over 3 years ago. I would have worked a few more years but left because my boss would only let me work at home 1 day a week even though I had a long track record of being able to work from home. This was a big issue for me because my 3 hour a day commute suddenly increased to 5 (yes, 2 1/2 hours each way) when my company moved from Manhattan to Jersey City. I was with the company more than 35 years at that point and did that horrendous commute for almost a year and a half. After I retired, all employees were working full time remotely due to Covid and my boss's treatment of her staff has caused many of them to resign this past year. Boss is now scrambling to get things done because the word has gotten around and no one wants to work with boss. On the other hand, everyone that worked for me is still in tough and I continue to mentor them when they need help. My one condition is that boss never finds out. How a boss treats their staff is often the tipping point when someone is deciding to stay or leave. My staff was always amused that staff meetings were a way for me to update them on things and talk about upcoming projects, but most important it was a way for me to hear their concerns and I always had homework to do to resolve their issues. I treated my group as family and they are still loyal to this day. I wish more people in authority would do the same.

Basically what I've mentioned in various posts. Half of my department are bad seeds. Poor attitude and work ethic, unprofessional, and many of whom are the highest paid in this department.

Our manager moved up to Director months ago, and he's a good guy but doesn't like confrontation and allows things to go on as is.

One of the bad seeds has now moved up to Supervisor and he's trying to improve his behavior but still has issues. He's also an annoying micromanager. Many of us aren't happy with him, and at least one person is already leaving because of him . I would leave too if I had another opportunity.

Welllllllll I’m an RN who started her career at the beginning of a global pandemic amid one of the greatest healthcare worker shortages of all time…

Welllllllll I’m an RN who started her career at the beginning of a global pandemic amid one of the greatest healthcare worker shortages of all time…
As a husband to an RN, let me thank you for what you do. You're workload is insane I can imagine.

For me my biggest issue is absentee owners. I'm lucky in I'm giving freedom to run my shop as I see fit and so long as we make money no one really cares much how I do it.

Until there is a problem. Then it's "well why didn't you do it this way?" or "you can't do the thing you've done for over a decade that way, that's not correct."

I dunno, maybe have a meeting once in a while to go over expectations and set some goals? That'd be nice.

That being said, I can't complain too much as I can't stand micro managing.

People who don't come to work, or when they are at work, they only do 1/2 of the job. (When I say this, I am talking about non client contact staff) 95% of the issues tho at this job come down to funding tho, so there isn't much that will get done about it until someone dies because of the poor staffing. Unfortunately, that is the reality of working in a state government facility. It always comes down to money. I work in a forensic mental hospital. So our clients have all commited felonies for which they are either incompetent to stand trial, not guilty by reason of mental defect, or being evaluated to determine competency. It's like if a jail and a psych hospital had a baby lol. We have some very violent clients here, but since they are clients and not inmates, our options for our own personal safety are much different than those who work in a prison or jail. Basically what it comes down to is if a client comes after you, you just ball up and try to protect yourself until other staff (if there are staff) can restrain them in a very specific way. $16/hr isn't enough for this when walmart pays 15. But the $ gets allocated to other Departments and what DMH has is never enough for a significant raise, so the staffing situation just gets worse, which makes it more dangerous. Because of this, morale is pretty low, which carries over to the staff who do not have client contact (so safety isn't a main consideration) and then they don't come to work either. I get why the other staff quit or call in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter