What crazy life changes are you making?

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in October of 2021. It made dh and I realize we are tired of taking care of this big old house on acreage. We are downsizing and building a smaller home. We also plan to travel more when we can. My prognosis is very good, but you just never know.

My lung diagnosis was my life changer years ago so still plugging along. Heading off to my Infusion today....will be starting my 6th year in May of these weekly visits which (knock on wood) I've never missed a one. That has been my commitment. :)

Well, after getting up the nerve to go to Paris a few years ago, I realized that it wasn't as out of my reach as it always felt in my head. I always thought of traveling to Europe or other countries was for people with far more money to blow than me, but turns out, it's MUCH cheaper than a long weekend at Disney so I had big dreams of hitting more countries and seeing the world...then covid hit. I've been not so patiently waiting for things to go back to normal so that my vacations actually feel like vacations and not punishments.

Cut out sugar and carbs due to pre-diabetes
I'm at this stage of life as well. We talk about cholesterol and blood pressure all the time at work and I wanted to get my blood pressure in check deciding to talk to the doctor about it. Well, all she talked about was my A1C which I had no idea what that was or indicated. I know everything is high including blood glucose levels and I solve all of that with riding the bicycle.

I never went to the doctors. Most here wouldn't understand, much like the thyroid doctor I went to see didn't, how someone may have kids and not have any money to take care of themselves when the kids take years to pay for with our health care in the US. I went to a thyroid doctor (endosomethingorother) because I wanted to fix why it can be 40° even and if I'm working or moving, I am gushing sweat like an open faucet and my body is burning up with heat. Being able to get on the bicycle again after working 10 hours in 110+ heat to ride daily when it's 85-90's out fixes everything and I want the heat issue fixed or figured out.

All she talked about was my A1C.

Well, after getting up the nerve to go to Paris a few years ago, I realized that it wasn't as out of my reach as it always felt in my head. I always thought of traveling to Europe or other countries was for people with far more money to blow than me, but turns out, it's MUCH cheaper than a long weekend at Disney so I had big dreams of hitting more countries and seeing the world...then covid hit. I've been not so patiently waiting for things to go back to normal so that my vacations actually feel like vacations and not punishments.

The only thing more expensive about going to most places in Europe is the airfare, in my experience. Southern Spain was a revelation, aside from Malaga it was so cheap.

The only thing more expensive about going to most places in Europe is the airfare, in my experience. Southern Spain was a revelation, aside from Malaga it was so cheap.
Even the price of that blew me away. I honestly looked up the price on one of the bundle vacation sites as a lark and thought I was looking at a one way flight or something. Nope! It was $918 for 9 days, flight AND hotel! All we needed was spending money after that! The entire 9 days cost us $1250 total! And that was going to Disneyland for a day and an overnight trip to London on the train!!! We had so much fun we did it again the next year at $845 for 8 days.

I'm at this stage of life as well. We talk about cholesterol and blood pressure all the time at work and I wanted to get my blood pressure in check deciding to talk to the doctor about it. Well, all she talked about was my A1C which I had no idea what that was or indicated. I know everything is high including blood glucose levels and I solve all of that with riding the bicycle.

All she talked about was my A1C.
Yup, lots of comparing notes here.....at age 64....on blood pressure, cholesterol and A1C. But I have been stuck the past two years in a cycle of I have no symptoms, feel great, but my lab work indicates an issue. On paper, I have issues. In practice, treating them pits my body against my Doctor. Blood pressure meds RAISED my blood pressure. Cholesterol drugs LOWERED my good cholesterol levels and RAISED my bad cholesterol levels. My A1C is 6.2, which my Doctor considers Type 2 Diabetes, yet all those ads for drugs that are supposed to lower your A1C say "you may even get your A1C below 7"..........so it is confusing.

DW lives in central Florida. I'm still working and traveling back and forth. It's very odd to be having a long-distance relationship with my spouse. I know people do it but it's definitely a crazy life change for us.

Yup, lots of comparing notes here.....at age 64....on blood pressure, cholesterol and A1C. But I have been stuck the past two years in a cycle of I have no symptoms, feel great, but my lab work indicates an issue. On paper, I have issues. In practice, treating them pits my body against my Doctor. Blood pressure meds RAISED my blood pressure. Cholesterol drugs LOWERED my good cholesterol levels and RAISED my bad cholesterol levels. My A1C is 6.2, which my Doctor considers Type 2 Diabetes, yet all those ads for drugs that are supposed to lower your A1C say "you may even get your A1C below 7"..........so it is confusing.
I'm a 6.7 and my doctor called it pre-diabetic and said I need to fix it.

Of course my blood pressure was sky high when I was there. She seemed shocked. I just said, "did you not look at yourself in the mirror when you left to go to work this morning?" I've never been checked out by a doctor in skin tight short short leopard print skirt, LOL. I didn't say that, but I was thinking it, LOL.

I'm still failing at my sugar addiction. Sugar is more addictive than tobacco/nicotine.

I'm a 6.7 and my doctor called it pre-diabetic and said I need to fix it.

Of course my blood pressure was sky high when I was there. She seemed shocked. I just said, "did you not look at yourself in the mirror when you left to go to work this morning?" I've never been checked out by a doctor in skin tight short short leopard print skirt, LOL. I didn't say that, but I was thinking it, LOL.

I'm still failing at my sugar addiction. Sugar is more addictive than tobacco/nicotine.
I have really lost my taste for sugar as I have aged. I am off all diabetes medicine now, upset my digestive system and seemed to do nothing to my blood sugar.

I'm having gastric bypass surgery in May. I'm pre-diabetic and my cholesterol is rising, but due to the number of medications I take to control my seizures and migraines, my doctors are trying to increase more prescriptions.

I don't know about "crazy", but trying to get my life together. My ex and I separated years ago, but just got the separation agreement done this year. At some point we need to get the divorce done, but that's just one more thing for the "list".

Since my parents are getting older, I'm trying to get my own life together before I have to start taking care of them. That's where the aforementioned list comes in. I'm in the stage of figuring out what needs to be done so I can start prioritizing and planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter