• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What days to tip Mousekeeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truth be told, check out day is the day they clean the most, spend the most time "cleaning up after you" so to speak. So if you want to get real technical about it, they should get a tip that day, more than most. If you equate tip as "gratuity for services performed". While you aren't the direct benefit you are the direct cause. If that makes sense. Or am I the only one that looks at it like that?

AngiTN, You are not alone! In fact, we always tip more on checkout day and for the reasons you stated.

We used to leave five but I'm bumping it to ten every day on the next trip.

Someone posted in another thread that they stopped making towel animals, is this correct?

Haven't had a towel animal in years here. Maybe someone else has had a different experience--but we used to get them every trip, even though I know they weren't "required." Yet we loved getting them. I have a couple on my dresser at home--the mousekeeper assured us we could take them home. BTW, I also upped the tip amount a couple years ago, same as you.

Truth be told, check out day is the day they clean the most, spend the most time "cleaning up after you" so to speak. So if you want to get real technical about it, they should get a tip that day, more than most. If you equate tip as "gratuity for services performed". While you aren't the direct benefit you are the direct cause. If that makes sense. Or am I the only one that looks at it like that?
It makes complete sense, especially since they did it for you (ideally) before you access your room the first time ;).

Its definitely up to personal preference with all the controversy regarding 'housekeeping' and security lately, but I personally have decided to only tip a small percentage of what I previously would have before the series of bad policy changes by Disney. It still depends on the length of stay and if there was anything particularly crazy that made their work harder than normal, but on a typical 3 day stay now I only leave a couple dollars and a note explaining (if this is the case) That I appreciated the service, that I was satisfied with it, and would normally have tipped ___ dollars. However, since I am so strongly against the poor implementation of the 'do not disturb'/housekeeping as security daily 'room checks', I do not think its appropriate to tip excessively for something that I do not want, and lowers the quality of my stay at the hotel and Walt Disney World in general.

I know in general it may not be the housekeeper who is getting the tips fault, but the policy is still effecting my trip, and I won't pay for the 'privilege' of getting barged in on, treated like a security threat, etc. While I doubt the policy in general will change, maybe eventually if enough guests are upset about the terrible implementation, and enough cast members are also upset about the terrible implementation, Disney will sit down and actually figure out a way to do what they think they need to do in a way that doesnt upset guests and is consistent with the quality most people have come to expect with Disney.

While I don't in any way condone handling tips to mousekeeping this way, all I can offer is a suggestion. You need to write 2 emails to guest relations: one to complain about the security check, and a totally separate one to praise your mousekeepers (if you don't know their names you should include where and what room your stayed at along with the dates of your stay). If you are going to stiff them based on other folks' reports on the internet where they perceived an intrusion on their privacy and not on anything that happened to you, at least they can get some recognition put on their record.

Last edited:

We generally tip when we request something special.

We are all adults, and keep our room very clean. They basically empty the trash and make the bed, that's it.

We generally tip when we request something special.

We are all adults, and keep our room very clean. They basically empty the trash and make the bed, that's it.

Love the usage of the word "generally" - it tells everyone all they need to know. However, I'm disturbed by the notion that mousekeeping doesn't vacuum, change sheets, wipe down the furniture or disinfect the bathrooms between guests as your post suggests.

Love the usage of the word "generally" - it tells everyone all they need to know. However, I'm disturbed by the notion that mousekeeping doesn't vacuum, change sheets, wipe down the furniture or disinfect the bathrooms between guests as your post suggests.
Well, if we don't request something, but have a really messy room, we tip. Or if someone is sick, and there is more to clean up, we tip.

Otherwise, we tip when we request something. Of course we are DVC so we stay at those resorts and we don't receive daily housekeeping.

So generally we tip when we request something.

I'm not sure what you meant by it tells everyone what they need to know.

One time we had a lovely lady who would leave animals crafted with face cloths and the smaller guest towels, we knew straight away when she was off as the room was done differently if that makes sense. I felt really bad so left an envelope at reception I just didn't want her to think we didn't appreciate the gifts she left. Hence why I now leave something every couple of days to take into account staff rotation. We are usually there for 2 weeks.

Livelovedance,. I tend to leave a dollar per person in the room per day. So, this week that is $3 per day. If we are extra messy, like spilling cereal on the floor, I will leave an extra buck or two. But, I pre-clean for housekeeping so it is usually not that much work to do our room.

Yes, it is pretty much personal preference. But for us, I leave $5 in the morning, either 3 or 5 for turndown. We are 2 adults, keep all our personal items organized & out of the way, used towels in 1 pile on the edge of the tub & try to use only 1 garbage can. So only 1 bed to make, 1 garbage can to empty, couple of towels to replace along with whatever sink & tub cleaning they do. I usually even bring my own shampoo & body wash so don’t even need lots of toiletries replaced.

Thank you for your replies! These are both in the general area I was thinking, I just wanted to see where I stood compared to others.

We used to leave five but I'm bumping it to ten every day on the next trip.

BTW, I also upped the tip amount a couple years ago, same as you.

Excuse my ignorance, and I hope this isn’t too personal, but can I ask why you have upped your daily tips? I just was curious if it was something well known that I am just not aware of. I want to tip our housekeepers, but I also don’t want to tip too low and make it seem like we don’t appreciate their services!

In and agreement between Disney and the employee unions, housekeeping is not a tipped position but people are free to give money to anyone that they want. Because of this we do not tip unless something very extra special warrants it.

:earsboy: Bill
That’s good to know. We tip at the end of our trip. It never occurred to me to tip daily. Then again, they would have to actually clean the room daily for that to happen. Last time, they always came when we were taking an afternoon nap even though we kept requesting them to come in the morning while we were out. They only cleaned a couple times when we sacrificed our nap so that we could get toilet paper and towels.

Excuse my ignorance, and I hope this isn’t too personal, but can I ask why you have upped your daily tips? I just was curious if it was something well known that I am just not aware of. I want to tip our housekeepers, but I also don’t want to tip too low and make it seem like we don’t appreciate their services!

Cost of living? IDK. Just feel like it.

One other observation I have seen from tipping. On our 1st trip in 2006 we tipped at the end of the trip. I did notice that our room was not cleaned everyday. Then I read a conversation much like this one and on our 2008 trip I started tipping everyday. It may just be my imagination but during our 2015 trip I did the $5 dollars a day thing. My room was spotless and we had extra towels, shampoo and we did get a towel animal everyday. It may not be right but my 1st job at 14 was as a carhop and I made $1.55 and hour + tips. I am a huge believer in tips and at WDW it seems to pay off.

What is an appropriate tip for daily “mousekeeping” (knowing that it is a personal preference)? I find tipping for these situations difficult, because of the fact that it’s not always the same person each day (for example, if you are very satisfied with your room cleaning, you would tend to tip more, but the person that gets it the next morning might not be the person that did that excellent cleaning the day before). We are only two people in our room, if that helps for tipping suggestions.

I have an idea but I am curious to see if my thoughts are similar to others here. I don’t want to start arguments because this is definitely a personal preference question!

Thanks!
Generally it’s $1 per day per person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter