What did you bake today ? OK if not from scratch

20210213_171142.jpg

Defrosted some leftover sugar cookie dough from Christmas and whipped up a quick royal icing so the kids could decorate these.

Just stumbled across this discussion forum and I may never be the same...
https://www.thefreshloaf.com/
I made a poolish tonight and I have exactly NO business doing things like this... I’m going to try for either baguettes or pizza dough tomorrow, I think.🤔 (Assuming I’m not spending all my time cleaning up an explosion.)

I need people's recommendations for a good pure vanilla extract that won't break the bank. I'm baking a lot more and the McCormick vanilla extract just doesn't cut it anymore. It seems to be mostly alcohol and not enough vanilla flavor.

Last edited:
I need people's recommendations for a good pure vanilla extract that won't break the bank. I'm baking a lot more and the McCormick vanilla extract just doesn't cut it anymore. It seems to be mostly alcohol and not enough vanilla flavor.

I use the large bottle that Costco sells.

If you want to go all out, Nielsen Massey brand is the absolute best for baking. I keep a jar of the vanilla bean paste on hand for indulgent desserts like creme brulee or homemade ice cream that call for vanilla bean.

I prefer Nielsen-Massey (look for sales, online coupon codes, sites with rebates/points-for-gift-cards, etc. -- those can really help). I also make my own extract. There are recipes online and reliable vendors for vanilla beans. Trader Joe's Bourbon Vanilla extract can work, too. Also look at King Arthur for vanilla and vanilla paste.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter