What did you do in St. Thomas

mommy2allyandaveri

DIS Veteran
What did you do or are you planning to do? Booking through DCL is not important to me.

We would be interested in an all inclusive day pass at a resort, some sort of tubing (like float somewhere on a tube), or maybe zip lining.

We took a bus on our own to Magens Bay. It was like $20 per person for the trip to and from, and I think that included the price to visit the beach. There are buses right outside the port, as well as "Officials" that can point you in the right direction.

I've heard it can be a little crowded there, but it wasn't too bad when we went. It's a site worth seeing at least once. We stayed about 2 hours or so. It started raining so we headed back. That let us watch some of the other excursions come and go.

The pirate ship excursion rolled in while we were back in our cabin. It looked cool, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that one.

We took a bus on our own to Magens Bay. It was like $20 per person for the trip to and from, and I think that included the price to visit the beach. There are buses right outside the port, as well as "Officials" that can point you in the right direction.

I've heard it can be a little crowded there, but it wasn't too bad when we went. It's a site worth seeing at least once. We stayed about 2 hours or so. It started raining so we headed back. That let us watch some of the other excursions come and go.

The pirate ship excursion rolled in while we were back in our cabin. It looked cool, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that one.

How long did it take on the bus?

We almost always take excursion to Virgin Island NP. I especially like snorkeling there.

My husband and I ziplined in St. Thomas on our cruise in February. We loved it and we had great guides(Emmett and Elroy) that made it fun.

We've been to St. Thomas three or four times and typically go to St. John for the day, but we only do that when we have a full day in port. To get to St. John without booking a ship excursion you take a taxi to Red Hook (20 minutes) and then a ferry to St. John (another 20 minutes, but you could wait for 20 depending on the schedule). Reverse that on the way back. Some cruise lines offer an excursion that leave from where the ship docks. I haven't looked at Disney, but it may be worth checking out.

On our last visit we had a late arrival (10am, I think) so we found a taxi and had him do an island tour. It was around $35/person and he took us to Charlotte Amalie for shopping and then up to Mountain Top with several stops along the way for sight seeing and pictures. After a banana daiquiri and shopping at Mountain Top he took us to a beach (our group chose Sapphire) and came to get us two hours later and took us back to the ship. Most taxi drivers will customize that however you want.

We took a taxi to Megan's Bay. There is an organized dispatch area for tourist taxis right next to the ship port, so getting one was easy. The taxis are open-air and shared with other tourists. We just went to the dispatcher and said "Megan's Bay", and they put us on the right one. You pay cash for the taxi (this was 2016 and I think it was $8 for two people each way), and upon entering Megan's Bay, you give the driver the needed cash for entrance (this was a few dollars each). After swimming, we walked back to the taxi dispatch area to get a ride back to the port. The ride was probably about 20 minutes each way. It can also take 10-15 minutes for them to fill up the taxi with other tourists.

we always do the champagne catamaran snorkling excursion to St. John Honeymoon Beach. It's a fun trip, not too long, and easy.

We also took a taxi to Maegans. We wanted to do St. John but didn't feel like dealing with the ferry shuffle that day after doing it to get to Virgin Gorda the day before.

The taxi was easy and the ride to the beach was fairly quick. Everything is cash so bring plenty for the driver and park entrance fee. The beach was nice - keep walking down to the left to avoid the big crowds. We had lunch from the snack bar there and had a generally relaxing day. When we were done, it was easy to grab a taxi bus back to the port.

We booked a tour with a private company. They took us shopping, a small tour of the island and then dropped us off at a beach. We spent 2 hrs at the beach and then they picked us up to bring us back to the ship.

How long did it take on the bus?

It wasn't that long of a trip, maybe 20 to 25 minutes. It's on the north side of the island and the port is on the south side, although the island is not that wide north to south. They stopped once or twice to show the views. St. Thomas is a fairly mountainous island. We got some good shots of the Fantasy from the ride.

Our last trip to St. Thomas, we did St. John on our own. It was super easy and amazing. No ziplining, but the only underwater nature trail in a US National Park.

We are going back next month are currently are staying on St. Thomas this time and taxing up to Magen's Bay, but we keep talking about St. John. It wouldn't surprise me if we woke up and went to the National Park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter