What did you want your parents to buy you growing up?

My parents did not spoil me, nor was I deprived, but I didn't get everything I wanted.

Such as Manglor Mountain!

wpid-20140816-023514.jpg

It was a playset featuring a spongy figure of a Green Giant/Swamp Thing creature that you dunk into a slime filled mountain.
Much better than a pony!

I don't recall any big wants ...

When I was very young, about 5, I had one Barbie doll. I wanted a new one, they said no, nothing wrong with mine. I took her to the back corner of the yard with scissors and cut off all her hair. I brought her to my Mom and said I needed a new Barbie, mine lost all her hair. Mom said "Of course, I'll take care of it." I was so proud of myself. When Mom finally brought me a bag ... I opened it up to find a Barbie wig. Mom 1 - Me 0.

I don't recall any big wants ...

When I was very young, about 5, I had one Barbie doll. I wanted a new one, they said no, nothing wrong with mine. I took her to the back corner of the yard with scissors and cut off all her hair. I brought her to my Mom and said I needed a new Barbie, mine lost all her hair. Mom said "Of course, I'll take care of it." I was so proud of myself. When Mom finally brought me a bag ... I opened it up to find a Barbie wig. Mom 1 - Me 0.
I defaced a toy for different reasons. Parents got me a Spock figure, from the first Trek movie. At the time, I had little idea who Spock was, and never asked for him. I painted his ears with magic marker because I thought it was a mistake for him to have pointed ears. I remember my parents questioning me about this.

A Barbie dream house. We had lots of Barbies and two big moving boxes full of clothes and furniture, but no house. We used to take my Mom's good washcloths and towels and lay them out on the floor in a sort of floor plan and then put the furniture on that. I wanted the dream house that had the elevator and three floors. Never did get that.

I remember those days. Holding my mums hand as she paid for her cigarettes and a handle of cheap gin, “please mommy, could I maybe have some warm food tonight? I’ll be so good. I won’t even ask to sleep indoors again, just something besides uncooked noodles again.”

To be fair, it wasn’t really my mum. Just neighborhood lady who drank too much. And I was a horrid cheeky monster at 7 yrs.

New clothes from a store instead of hand-me-downs from my older sisters and things my mom sewed. It wasn't so bad when we lived in a small town, but when I was 12 we moved to a big city and 7th and 8th grade were awful. Kids made fun of my clothes. I hated that school.

My 19 year old said recently that getting the Barbie Dream House for Christmas one year is still one of her favorite Christmas memories.

It was actually a joint gift for her and her younger sister since they both asked for it. They played with it for hours every day of that Christmas break.

I ordered it online and it warned me that it would come with the packaging showing what it was so I sent it to my parents. My dad had just retired and when it came he decided to put it together. When my DH found out Christmas Eve that it was put together and he just had to take it home that night he said it was like a gift for him too.

ETA: I meant to quote @BlueStarryHat but forgot and now don’t knife how to edit.

A pet, preferably a cat or dog.

Mom was allergic so eventually we got cockatiels. I bought myself fish for a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter