What Did You Wish You Knew Before Going?

To me, this is by far the most effective way to use Touring Plans. Use the app on the fly while in the parks. Check one attraction off the list and then re-optimize. Tourning Plans keeps your FP and ADR times intact as it re-optimizes. Great tool IMHO.

Even though we've used TP for two previous trips we haven't used it to this extent, mostly because the first time there wasn't an app (or my phone wasn't compatible) and the second time I was new to the app and really don't know what to do with it except look up wait times. So looking forward to really utilizing it!!

If going a week, take a day off. 6-7 days in a row at a theme park isn't a vacation.

Honestly, anything over 4 days I think requires a day off. Our first trip was five days (traveling and visiting the park one of those days) and it was miserable by the end. We really need that day off and offsetting our days so about every other day is more mellow (like MK one day, Epcot with leisurely pace the next, then Universal at full speed again, then a day off, then AK...)

Honestly, anything over 4 days I think requires a day off. Our first trip was five days (traveling and visiting the park one of those days) and it was miserable by the end. We really need that day off and offsetting our days so about every other day is more mellow (like MK one day, Epcot with leisurely pace the next, then Universal at full speed again, then a day off, then AK...)

I'm going to send my husband to this thread. We are going for 8 days next November with three kids (10,2,2) and he doesn't understand why I keep saying we don't need 7 day tickets (plus MVMCP!)

I'm going to send my husband to this thread. We are going for 8 days next November with three kids (10,2,2) and he doesn't understand why I keep saying we don't need 7 day tickets (plus MVMCP!)
But be sure to price the difference because once you start adding days to the tickets the price per day really drops. The difference between a 7 day and 4 day with the Park Hopper is only $240 for the whole family. If the budget allows, it is very nice to be able to go into a park for just an hour or two, pop back to your resort for a rest or swim and head back into another park in the evening for a quick ride, parade or show. You don't have to go commando all seven days. On an eight day trip the MINIMUM for my family would be five park Hopper days. But it is just my dh and me now, no Littles, so YMMV. :flower1:

But be sure to price the difference because once you start adding days to the tickets the price per day really drops. The difference between a 7 day and 4 day with the Park Hopper is only $240 for the whole family. If the budget allows, it is very nice to be able to go into a park for just an hour or two, pop back to your resort for a rest or swim and head back into another park in the evening for a quick ride, parade or show. You don't have to go commando all seven days. On an eight day trip the MINIMUM for my family would be five park Hopper days. But it is just my dh and me now, no Littles, so YMMV. :flower1:

Thank you! That's very true about the cost, and that would be nice to be able to do an hour or two here and there for little added cost. He thinks we will be at parks for 10-12 hours every day, haha. When I mentioned that on the day we do MVMCP we won't need a park ticket because we can just go to MK at 4pm, he said but what will we do the rest of the day?? This will be our first time at Disney with our twins who will be almost 2 at the time, I think he's in for a rude awakening.

Thank you! That's very true about the cost, and that would be nice to be able to do an hour or two here and there for little added cost. He thinks we will be at parks for 10-12 hours every day, haha. When I mentioned that on the day we do MVMCP we won't need a park ticket because we can just go to MK at 4pm, he said but what will we do the rest of the day?? This will be our first time at Disney with our twins who will be almost 2 at the time, I think he's in for a rude awakening.
One of the things I like about Disney is it's really easy to accommodate different activity levels, and it's pretty safe to be alone. So maybe your husband will want to "do" more than the rest of you - he can! There's so much to do and explore on property, the parks aren't everything. It's very true about ticket prices though. We can only manage trips with 2-4 park days so it ended up being cheaper to get a pass! If you're going to be there a while and you can afford it, it's nice to have the extra ticket days so you have the option available. It might also change the "we have to do everything now" mindset. With twin toddlers you'll be having enough adventure already, so flexibility will be your friend. :)

Last edited:
He thinks we will be at parks for 10-12 hours every day

Maybe your husband is like me. On my solo trip in November, I intend to be in the parks for 10-12 hours a day for the nine full days plus a few hours on my arrival and departure day. Since so many husbands seem to be anti-Disney, I think many people assume that's the way men are. There are some of us men that are as Disney fanatic as anyone else. I can't wait to get as much Disney as I can.

Maybe your husband is like me. On my solo trip in November, I intend to be in the parks for 10-12 hours a day for the nine full days plus a few hours on my arrival and departure day. Since so many husbands seem to be anti-Disney, I think many people assume that's the way men are. There are some of us men that are as Disney fanatic as anyone else. I can't wait to get as much Disney as I can.
That's how I was on my solo trip. Start at rope drop, stay until near closing.

That it is basically impossible to see and do everything in one trip, and if you found a way to do it, you probably wouldn't have a very fun time. I assumed it would be a one time thing and we wouldn't have the desire to go again, so we needed to see everything and eat at as many restaurants as possible. Now we are DVC and going for our third trip in November. I think most people's best memories of vacations are the moments that weren't planned or of your interactions with your friends/family as opposed to how many attractions you experienced. So if you don't see something, it's not worth getting stressed about.

Honestly, anything over 4 days I think requires a day off.

Couldn't agree more. Our plan is that we use our arrival day to settle in and relax followed by four jam packed rope-drop-to-closing days. This works for us because our kids are 11 and 9, PLUS the trip is always followed by a long (week to a week and a half) trip to grandma's house in Miami where all they do is spend time at the beach and pool. If we didn't have all that down time in Miami coming our way then we'd have to add non-park days to our stay.

Couldn't agree more. Our plan is that we use our arrival day to settle in and relax followed by four jam packed rope-drop-to-closing days. This works for us because our kids are 11 and 9, PLUS the trip is always followed by a long (week to a week and a half) trip to grandma's house in Miami where all they do is spend time at the beach and pool. If we didn't have all that down time in Miami coming our way then we'd have to add non-park days to our stay.
Do people really stay in the park for over 12 hours? This has always amazed me when I hear "rope drop to close" visitors.

Do people really stay in the park for over 12 hours?

For us I wouldn't say that it's OVER 12 hours, but certainly 10-12 hours. Again, that's because we only have four days in the parks. Also, my kids are used to a fast paced NYC life so it works for them too.

Do people really stay in the park for over 12 hours? This has always amazed me when I hear "rope drop to close" visitors.

I know when my husband and I do Disneyland, we're normally there from rope drop to close if Disneyland is open from 8am-8pm like it is during the week during the "offseason", when we normally go.

I plan on us doing close to the same at Disney World next year.

I know when my husband and I do Disneyland, we're normally there from rope drop to close if Disneyland is open from 8am-8pm like it is during the week during the "offseason", when we normally go.

I plan on us doing close to the same at Disney World next year.
I was there for two days in May, and felt like I had plenty of time from open-12ish, then 5ish-close. I loved walking back to my room when I needed to.

I was there for two days in May, and felt like I had plenty of time from open-12ish, then 5ish-close. I loved walking back to my room when I needed to.
I guess everyone's different. My kids would look at me like I had two heads if I suggested that we leave a park at noon.

I guess everyone's different. My kids would look at me like I had two heads if I suggested that we leave a park at noon.
And my kiddos, one a born and bred NYCer, and the other a "Don't u know about heat/humidity?" North Carolinian, were more than happy to leave in the afternoon and get all amphibious. In fact I told the mother of the one from NC that apparently the Refrigerator God ( yanno.. the one that boys in particular commune with silently in your kitchen?) had gone on vac and been replaced with a demi-god, the Pool Nymph, who silently called her son into any body of water whilst his Grand Aunt called his name. Did that twice, drove me up a wall and he's not going back to DW with us this December since my nerves can't take it.
I'm good with him for the next camping trip but he and me and civilisation don't mix;).

I have been in MK from rope drop 9 am to close midnight before. This was regular hours. Epcot is normally 9am-9pm. DHS when I was there last you could get 9am-10pm. AK you did well to get 9 am-7 pm. So do people really stay in the park over 12 hours--it has happened, and I have been one of them. Do LOTS of people do it--no. I would say the vast majority of people did not stay in park over 12 hours even when it was possible, and the late hours seem to have gone by the wayside.

We have only rope dropped a couple of times, but we are usually in the parks by 10. Other than our first trip when we left at 5:30 PM to start our 10 hour drive home, we have never left a park until close in our 5 previous trips. Once MK was open until 3 AM. I posted to Facebook as we were riding Buzz Lightyear continuously from 2:40 AM onward. This was with a 7 year old, which I'm realizing is more amazing now than I thought it was then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter