• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What did your baby cry at when they were a baby?

Everything!,lol I remember once when my daugher was tiny, we were doing tummy time and for the first time she lifted up her head and my husband and I both went "Wow!" loudly and she burst into tears,lol Poor thing, we scared her.

Nothing too much. Would start to fuss when he was hungry or tired but rarely got past that stage. But would NEVER let me put him down unless he was sound asleep!! And it didn’t matter how long I let him cry! He eventually tolerated a bouncer in small increments.

My first cried every evening for about 3 hours. Nothing seemed to stop it. They said it might be colic, but they (doctors) had no suggestions about what to do about it. We later found that she had a lot of allergies but that seems like a stretch since it was just in the evening.

The second child didn't cry much at all. I'd get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and there she was laying on her back in her crib playing with her toes or something in her crib never making a sound and I assume would eventually go back to sleep. She got to be a problem later in her pre-teen years when she got interested in Steven King novels and then every shadow would scare her. She's almost 48 now, married and as far as I know no longer has the problem.

Colic. Non-stop. She didn't sleep for the first 3 days. For the first 3 months she wouldn't sleep unless she was on our shoulder in the rocker. One of us was up all night with her for 3 months straight.

I was working 12 hours at the time and with our schedule I had a 7 day stretch off-shift every 4 week rotation. I would sit in the rocker and watch VH1 which at the time was playing a lot of Metallica and Metallica concerts and documentaries.

Fast forward to when she was 3 or so, I'm flipping through the music channels on Directv. I'm stopping at various songs asking her as she played with her Playdoh at the kitchen table. "you like this?" "No..." Then I got to a Metallica song and stopped on it to listen. I look over and her little blonde curls are bobbing around as she's bobbing her head. "You like this one?" "Yeah, I like that Dad!" :hyper:

Colic. Non-stop. She didn't sleep for the first 3 days. For the first 3 months she wouldn't sleep unless she was on our shoulder in the rocker. One of us was up all night with her for 3 months straight.

I was working 12 hours at the time and with our schedule I had a 7 day stretch off-shift every 4 week rotation. I would sit in the rocker and watch VH1 which at the time was playing a lot of Metallica and Metallica concerts and documentaries.

Fast forward to when she was 3 or so, I'm flipping through the music channels on Directv. I'm stopping at various songs asking her as she played with her Playdoh at the kitchen table. "you like this?" "No..." Then I got to a Metallica song and stopped on it to listen. I look over and her little blonde curls are bobbing around as she's bobbing her head. "You like this one?" "Yeah, I like that Dad!" :hyper:
Yeah, that colic thing is an unexpected joy of new parenthood. I know I shouldn't say this, because someone that never experienced it will undoubtedly be driven to admonish me instead of congratulate me for my restraint, but at that point I started to understand a little about what motivates some people to child abuse. I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying that I can see if one is weak that there might be a chance of not reacting in a good manner to it. Still wrong, but you have to be there to understand the emotion.

When I was a baby I would cry a lot and my parents could never figure out what caused my crying episodes and it got so bad that my parents wouldn't go to restaurants with me and the only time they brought me to a restaurant was when my parents wanted to eat out and they did "or least tried to" when I began crying my head off and no bottle couldn't stop my crying and so my parents had to take their food home and that was it for my parents. Mom and Dad took me to the doctor the next day for a checkup and it turned out I had colic and I don't know when my colic had stopped but as a baby I was a crier I like babies but I don't know why some babies get colic and some don't. My cousins were not criers but when my cousin's son was a baby the one person he was scared of was Dad and every time my cousin saw Dad he cried and freaked out and even when Dad holds babies he makes them cry and I don't know why

With what you are saying about how the baby would not sleep unless she was on your shoulder, sounds like my daughter. She would cry horribly when you laid her down. I knew right away that it was not right so I took her in to her doctor 2 days after we got home. She was diagnosed with reflux and they prescribed an antacid. It worked immediately and didn't have any issues from then on. This was 21 years ago and I have seen since then that they have come to realize that "colic" is most likely just acid reflux, that is why the babies cry when laid down. It is sad that it has taken them so long to figure this out when a simple medicine helps.

With what you are saying about how the baby would not sleep unless she was on your shoulder, sounds like my daughter. She would cry horribly when you laid her down. I knew right away that it was not right so I took her in to her doctor 2 days after we got home. She was diagnosed with reflux and they prescribed an antacid. It worked immediately and didn't have any issues from then on. This was 21 years ago and I have seen since then that they have come to realize that "colic" is most likely just acid reflux, that is why the babies cry when laid down. It is sad that it has taken them so long to figure this out when a simple medicine helps.
If the med was zantac, prilosec or a PPI, they have since been linked to cancer! Back then they didn't know, but I would never give my baby any of these now for reflux. I refused it back in 2010 for my DD who had reflux.

If the med was zantac, prilosec or a PPI, they have since been linked to cancer! Back then they didn't know, but I would never give my baby any of these now for reflux. I refused it back in 2010 for my DD who had reflux.
You have to have prolonged use and strong doses of those to be at risk. But she was only on them for a couple of weeks to give her body a chance to do what it needed to do. It seems as if everything gives you cancer now. My mom smoked when she was pregnant with us and smoked in the house and car. A diet high in processed foods can cause colorectal cancer but no one says anything to those who only feed their kids nuggets and mac and cheese.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter