What Disney Movie That You Love Do You Think Is The Most Underated?

I was the same way. I remember it clearly, but hadn't been able to see it. It's an odd movie. I bought a bootleg after my kids rode Splash Mountain so many times without a frame of reference. They really dug the Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Fox stuff, but thought the human acting stuff was pretty silly.

It's certainly got a level of racial insensitivity to it, but more than that, the plot doesn't work. Ruth Warrick's character makes no sense, either, and it's hard topical it in time -- is it reconstruction Georgia? That would bet my best bet.

But it did give us Zip-A-Dee-Do-Da, so it can't be all bad. But there's not enough there to want it unevaluated, though.

James Baskett, the actor who portrayed Uncle Remus, is buried a short distance from where I'm sitting in Indianapolis. After his death in 1948, his wife wrote Walt Disney to thank him for being "a friend indeed" when they were in need. Walt advocated for Baskett's Oscar and he was awarded an honorary Oscar in 1947, the first black male actor to be awarded an Oscar (Hattie McDaniel was the first black female for her role in GWTW, another movie criticized for racial depictions). Movies are products of their time, and should be seen as such. I don't think we should try to bury history, or throw out the good with the bad. It is set in Reconstruction period Georgia, but I really don't remember enough of the plot to say whether or not it is a deserving work. I would like the chance to see it again.

Love emperors new groove. It's hilarious. -Llama-face! So underrated.

Another underrated was meet the Robinson's. DH and I laughed hysterically when we saw this in the theater.

I see wall-e on this list , but I don't think its underrated, IIRC it got quite a bit of hype. If I'm wrong, then yes add that one to my list too! ;)

A pp mentioned Princess and the frog I agree best princess movie in recent years (possibly best Disney recent release). I'm not sure that it was underrated, got quite a bit of hype locally-not like frozen though. :(

Oh! I forgot Hercules-yes that one is very funny! Underrated!

Disney never could have made Hunchback if they didn't almost completely change the story. Everybody is supposed to DIE! They shouldn't mess with someonelse's property and should develop more fresh, new and creative stories. One reason that HOND may be underrated is that others think like me. I do love the music though.

My vote would be for Treasure Planet if I could only name one

Disney never could have made Hunchback if they didn't almost completely change the story. Everybody is supposed to DIE! They shouldn't mess with someonelse's property and should develop more fresh, new and creative stories. One reason that HOND may be underrated is that others think like me. I do love the music though.

My vote would be for Treasure Planet if I could only name one

I think that this sentiment could be argued for quite a few Disney movies. Hercules and Hunchback are prime examples of how Disney has dramatically altered a tale/series of tales to make a more accessible and/or pleasing movie. I still thoroughly enjoy both despite their alterations (my degree is in Classics and Hercules is one of the few classically-inspired films that escapes my criticisms).

On that train of thought, Hercules is another underrated movie that I love.

There is a big difference in my mind between a tale and a book by a known author. Hunchback is certainly not a tale!

Hercules and Wreck-it Ralph. I love them both and would love a Wreck-It Ralph sequel with more video games characters (Final Fantasy!!!)

I know a lot of people have already said these but in my opinion the movies I consider underrated are usually Disney movies that arn't recognized anywhere in the Disney parks or movies that just are ignored.
1. Hunchback of Notre Dame- This movie is amazing, pretty dark for a Disney movie but it has an amazing story line. It's a very moralizing and moving movie in my opinion. This movie is one of my favorite Disney soundtracks, it has so many amazing songs.
2. Tarzan- Another amazing story, some humor and and an amazing soundtrack my phil collins. Can we take a moment to appreciate Jane?? She's such a great female character in my opinion.
3. Bugs life- Very funny, I feel like it's neglected when put up to fan favorites like Toy Story and Monsters Inc
4. Sleeping Beauty- So this one may be controversial as Princess Aurora has her own castle however, I feel like the newer generations don't appreciate this movie or don't know who she is. This is actually my favorite disney movie, Aurora is my fav princess, Phillip is my fav prince, Maleficent is my fav villain, and the animation in this movie is spectacular and unlike any other disney movie.
Also I love Goof troop and The goofy movies.... Their are so many others but I just put in my favorite underrated ones

Have not seen it mentioned, but hubby & I really enjoyed "John Carter" and had hoped for a sequel, very underrated. Also, thoroughly enjoy "The Lone Ranger"

Have not seen it mentioned, but hubby & I really enjoyed "John Carter" and had hoped for a sequel, very underrated. Also, thoroughly enjoy "The Lone Ranger"

My family also enjoyed John Carter and I really wish they would have came out with a sequel.

I agree that The Hunchback of Notre Dame has to top the list. The story is great and the music is top notch. Other underrated Disney movies in my opinion are The Rescuers, The Aristocats, and The Emperor's New Groove.

For animated, another vote for Treasure Planet. It was eviscerated by critics when it came out, so I did not see it until about 5 years ago. And I thought it was an incredibly well done take on Treasure Island. A darker movie, yes, but still so good. It does seem that in general, it's the darker animated movies that are the underrated ones (Hunchback, Fox and the Hound, Atlantis, etc.).

For live action, Escape From Witch Mountain. Some of the plot is a little over the top, yes, but Eddie Albert, Ray Milland and Donald Pleasence all turn in fantastic performances, and there is a nice message there about embracing who you are even if it is not the norm.

I might be in the minority, but Wreck-It Ralph. Being big into video games back in the late-80s/early-90s, the movie was a huge hit for me. I've read a sequel is in line and will be very excited to see it should it ever see the daylight.

Sword in the Stone
Robin Hood
Lilo & Stitch
Black Cauldron
A Goofy Movie
Meet the Robinsons
Bolt
Mars Needs Moms
Winnie the Pooh (new)

Also a lot of the old live action movies.
I also heard many people say Frozen was the best Disney movie since The Lion King. Really? Tangled was amazing. Princess and the Frog was far better in my opinion. Was Frozen better animation-wise? Maybe. Music-wise? Definitely. But to overlook those instant classics would be a shame.

Polling the family, we'd go with Mulan, Brave and Tangled as movies that were good and underrated.

Also, I don't think Lone Ranger is nearly as bad as it got slammed upon release. I've seen it at least once thru and I find its one I'll watch a piece of when I run into it on HBO, FX, etc.

Love wreck it Ralph. Quote it often and always makes me and dd laugh

Also thought lilo and stitch was really good but never gets any props

Dds love Mulan II

The Three Lives of Thomasina.
Okay, this is aging me, but talk about a forgotten movie from the 60's (it was re-released in the theaters in the 70's so I never saw the original release). It's a live-action film with a nice witch, and the girl from Mary Poppins, and weird dream sequences involving cats talking. But I loved it, and now have an orange Thomasina of my own (except he's a boy kitty named Crush).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter