• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do I need to transfer pics to computer

miss missy

Is this the Dis Board Desperate Housewives?!
If I use a laptop, who do I pay for access? I am staying at POP. What do I need to have with me to get pic from camera/card to computer? HELP!

ADDING.....I have no lap top at hotel is what I mean

Some cameras come with a USB cable that will plug into your computer (if it has a USB port). XP will load drivers for camera when you turn it on (I know it works for Kodak). XP will then start the camera/scanner wizard to transfer pix. If your computer has a card reader you may be able to plug the card into the reader.

Sounds like you have two questions there.

1)"Who do I pay for access?"
I assume you mean access to the internet. To access the internet from Pop Century with your laptop you will need an account with a dial-up internet service provider who has local numbers in the Orlando area. AOL, MSN, and all of the big national dial-up providers have local numbers in Orlando. You will have to set up you own account (unless you already have one), but the local access numbers for the major ISPs can be found here:
http://allearsnet.com/pl/access.htm

2)"What do I need to have with me to get pic from camera/card to computer?"
There are two main ways, each of which has been mentioned above. First is to buy a memory card reader of some kind, like the one that Dan Murphy linked to. With this device, you take the mamory card out of your camera, put it into the card reader, plug the card reader into your computers USB port, and the card will appear in My Computer as a new drive letter - then you simply copy your pics from the card to the computer, just like copying from one folder to another.

The second method is the one that Dznefreek mentioned. Every digital camera I have ever seen comes with a cable that will connect the camera to your computer's USB port. In some cases, you have to install software for the computer to recognize the camera, but under Windows XP, all you have to do is plug it in. Once the connection is made, the camera appears in My Computer as another drive letter, and you copy the pics to your hard drive, just as you would with a card reader. In essense, the cable turns your digital camera itself into a card reader.

I use one of these little gems:
http://web.mymediagear.com/Default.aspx?tabid=90
to plug my Compact Flash cards into my computer to get the pics off of them. My CF version of the keychain drive only cost $10 at CompUSA; you can also get them directly from the MediaGear web site I linked to. Versions are also available for XD, SD, SM, and Memory Stick cards.

Dznefreek said:
Some cameras come with a USB cable that will plug into your computer (if it has a USB port). XP will load drivers for camera when you turn it on (I know it works for Kodak). XP will then start the camera/scanner wizard to transfer pix. If your computer has a card reader you may be able to plug the card into the reader.

Sorry, I know how to do it from home... I meant from WDW with no laptop

miss missy said:
Sorry, I know how to do it from home... I meant from WDW with no laptop

If you have no computer with you at WDW then your options are severely limited.

First of all, you need to get the pics off your memory cards to clear space. This is fairly easy - you can have your pics burned to CD in the camera shops at all 4 theme parks. MK and MGM even have self-service machines for this, but all 4 camera shops will do it for you if you leave your memory card for an hour or two. Price is about $12 per CD, limit 120 pics per CD.

If you have a rental car, you can get your pics burned to CD at any local Walgreens store for $3 per CD, for as many pics as the CD will hold.

Once you get the pics onto CD, you probably won't need to get them onto the internet until you get home, but if you do, I don't know for sure how to do it. There are a few internet access places on WDW property, such as the cyber cafe at DisneyQuest, but I am pretty sure that none of them will allow you to put a CD into the computer for fear of viruses.

If you don't have a laptop at the hotel like you mention then you would need to take your memory card to one of the camera shops in the park to have them downloaded. If you are driving you could go to Walgreens and have them do it cheaper.

I would recommend a few more memory cards with the option of getting a CD burned if needed. Memory cards are pretty cheap now. You still need to shop around because there are still some places that charge an arm and TWO legs for them!! Like Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter