What do you call the meal after lunch?

Dinner refers to the largest meal of the day, no matter when it is. I refer to my evening meal as Dinner because I eat a light lunch. My Grandfather always called it Supper (though never called Lunch "Dinner"). When my family has "Thanksgiving Dinner" we eat it around noon (then sometimes we have another one, haha).

I see you're married to my DH.....:rolleyes:

He edits himself all the time for me so I can understand him. Like calling soda soda (which I do) instead of Coke (as in "what kind of coke do you want? Sprite....)
Why, yes, he's from the south......

Ah in our house it's the great pop vs soda debate. He's a native North Dakotan while my parents were military so I'm a transplant.

It can be either, depending on what comes out of my mouth...
We use 'supper' a lot.
But, then again, I would never say we are going to a spaghetti supper.

Either of these are used for the evening meal.
Lunch is always lunch!

Here in the South, a heavy accent can make the word 'dinner' sound a bit funny.
There is one manager at a restaurant we go to a lot, and you should hear how it sounds when he comes around and asks "How's yur dinnnnerrr." :rotfl:
We love the guy, don't get me wrong, but really, you should hear it!!!!

Okay, we are getting off topic here... but NObody here says 'pop'!
And, if you do hear that, what makes it worse, is it is somebody from 'up north' and when they say it, with their accent, it sounds like "pahhhp"

Yep, we are from the south, and the work 'Coke' used to be all inclusive...
But, thank goodness, that is much less so now.
That just kills me!

Okay, we are getting off topic here... but NObody here says 'pop'!
And, if you do hear that, what makes it worse, is it is somebody from 'up north'

I can confirm this, Im from the North (Ohio) and say 'pop". I believe its the Industrial Midwest that uses that term

I can confirm this, Im from the North (Ohio) and say 'pop". I believe its the Industrial Midwest that uses that term
As long as you know the difference between Coke and well, not Coke, you're good! :thumbsup2

we call the meal after lunch "what's for dinner" followed by "I have no idea" lol, but yeah, we call it dinner

I'm in the south, and I think DH & I both use dinner & supper interchangeably. Our kids also use both dinner & supper.

In thinking about it, for us, it's "supper" if we're eating at home and it's dinner if we're going out.

Although, if we're eating at home, I can hear us equally saying either "What's for dinner? or "What's for supper?"

However, if we're going out, it's always "Where do you want to go for dinner?"

So, mainly, it's breakfast, lunch, & supper/dinner.

Additionally, special meals like on Thanksgiving, Christmas, & Easter are always dinner, even if they're eaten in the middle of the afternoon. Or, if you have a bunch of people over to eat a mid-day meal on Sunday, it's always Sunday Dinner & not Sunday Lunch. But, if it's just ourselves on Sunday, our mid-day meal is lunch.

Oh, it's also coke. Not pop. And not soda.

Here in the South, a heavy accent can make the word 'dinner' sound a bit funny.
There is one manager at a restaurant we go to a lot, and you should hear how it sounds when he comes around and asks "How's yur dinnnnerrr." :rotfl:
We love the guy, don't get me wrong, but really, you should hear it!!!!

You're right, maybe I would prefer if certain people use supper even though I really don't like the term.

We recently returned to the south and I know exactly the accent you are talking about. DH has joked quite a bit with his coworkers who say the number "ten"-- "teeeann". Very similar to their pronunciation of "dinner". It seems like it would be less effort to just say "ten".

After a tour of her new HS where the counselor said the word "thee-ay-ter" 50 times, DD told me she didn't think she was interested in doing plays anymore if she was going to have to hear that word constantly. ;)

After a tour of her new HS where the counselor said the word "thee-ay-ter" 50 times, DD told me she didn't think she was interested in doing plays anymore if she was going to have to hear that word constantly. ;)

Too funny!!!!
I can remember, right here on the DIS, there was a poster who's daughter got a nice part in a theater production. Her character was supposed to be from the South. (or the whole play was set in the South?)
She wanted tips on how to talk and speak and pronounce.
I sent her a PM and told her they could call me and we would do some of the lines over the phone!!!
This didn't happen, but she did send me a few of the lines.
One word was the word 'more', at the end of the sentence.
I told here S-L-O-W down....
s-t-r-e-t-c-h out those vowels.
And, the word 'more' is one of those words that has those lovely extra syllables.
Then I told her it should be like a yard machine... "But, I don't want to do this any mower."
Hahahaha!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter