What do you consider Coffee Cake?

....and, I guess a Harlem shake is a cold, thick drink that tastes just like a part of Manhattan....

I think the coffee cake conversation is indicative of the younger folks who just don't drink coffee to the extent my generation and older are used to. People would get together to "have coffee." Not so much any more. Always there was "coffee cake" served. The cake wasn't coffee-flavored, it was a sweet, bread-y dough mixed with cinnamon or had a topping of raspberry, cherry, apple or sweet cheese, etc. Entenmann's still makes these, but back in the day when there were lots of bakeries around, people had their favorite bakery just to get that bakery's coffee cakes. My older German friend makes a wonderful strudel, which I would also call a "coffee cake."

I have been exposed to lots of "coffee ignorance" in the last few decades. At a drive-thru, if I order coffee from their menuboard late in the evening, they don't want to make any because it's late. Yet if I order fries late, they don't have a problem making a new batch. At a restaurant when I say the coffee is old and bitter, they don't know that's their cue to make a fresh cup. At McDonald's in particular, when I order iced coffee or a cappuccino drink, they add so much milk to the coffee that the drink is almost white as a milkshake (yuck). And trying to explain my side in these situations is close to hopeless. Though some don't care for Starbuck's, it's a haven for the othewise lost art of coffee service. I get a proper-tasting, correctly-made coffee drink. I've pretty much given up on coffee anywhere else.

Just out of curiosity, is there any such thing as bread/cake that tastes like coffee? I don't see how that could work. Coffee icing, maybe.

I don't think it has anything to do with age. I'm only 24 and know what a coffee cake is (and love them!). Maybe a regional thing though? Out here in AZ I don't see it as much, but back home in MI it's pretty common to sit around after dinner and drink a cup of coffee with a piece of coffee cake. Then again, I also haven't run into a lot of people here that drink coffee in the evening. I remember growing up my mom's whole side of the family would come to my grandparent's house for dinner every monday, and the coffee pot would get turned on as soon as everyone was done eating. I actually still prefer my coffee in the evening.

:lmao: We just had this conversation with my 14 year old a few weeks ago. My 16 year old was making "coffee cake" and he said he didn't want any since he doesn't like coffee. She explained that meant it was good to eat with coffee, but it is really a cinnamon streusel flavour.

Now, my son has the excuse that he is young and that he has lived the last several years in Germany, among German kids, who would call that a streusel kuchen, and even then we thought it was odd/funny that he did not know. A grown adult living in American not knowing and going on at length about being deceived? Just weird.

Funny story... I was at Girl Scout camp the first time I ever heard of coffee cake. Being only about 9 at the time, I couldn't imagine who thought it was okay to give kids coffee, even in cake. So it was a pleasant surprise when I found out it was cinnamon.

Coffee cake to us was the kind of cake that our parents would let us eat at breakfast. We were happy and didn't ask any other questions.

Coffee cake with no coffee?! Madness, I tell you. Coffee cake here is coffee-flavoured sponge cake with coffee flavour icing, and often walnuts on top. Lovely. :)

A cake, usually eaten WITH coffee; with spices, nuts, a crumb topping, and/or fruit in or on it. But No coffee flavoring.

I think the coffee cake conversation is indicative of the younger folks who just don't drink coffee to the extent my generation and older are used to. People would get together to "have coffee." Not so much any more. Always there was "coffee cake" served. The cake wasn't coffee-flavored, it was a sweet, bread-y dough mixed with cinnamon or had a topping of raspberry, cherry, apple or sweet cheese, etc. Entenmann's still makes these, but back in the day when there were lots of bakeries around, people had their favorite bakery just to get that bakery's coffee cakes. My older German friend makes a wonderful strudel, which I would also call a "coffee cake."

Sort of reminds me of "teacakes" and "tea sandwiches". :rotfl2:

POOHsie said:
Just out of curiosity, is there any such thing as bread/cake that tastes like coffee? I don't see how that could work. Coffee icing, maybe.

I made a tiramisu-type cake for my co-worker's birthday one time that had quite a bit of actual coffee in the recipe itself. Then I had to poke holes in the completed cake and pour more coffee in it to soak. If you like the flavor of coffee, it was delicious!!

Despite visiting the US many times I NEVER realised that you mean something completely different by coffee cake than we do in the UK.

I'm with the person in the OP - I would be soooo disappointed if my coffee cake didn't taste of coffee. :rotfl:

Here's a good recipe for proper coffee cake :rotfl2:

nigella.com/recipes/view/COFFEE-AND-WALNUT-LAYER-CAKE-5307

sorry not enough posts to post a link yet - just put w w w . in front of above

That is really funny. Love the oyster crackers story, too. It reminded me of when I got some take out corned beef for my husband. My youngest daughter looked in the container and said, "where's the corn?"

The best coffee cake recipe, in my opinion, is Pioneer Woman's. Buttery, cakey lusciousness!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter