• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you do after the race?

babyruth

for the first time in forever
When you're done running and taking pics, hanging out for a bit post race...then what? Do you go to a park? Have a resort day? Go eat somewhere? Trying to get a feel for what we should plan after a 5k.

5k from a timing perspective with a very generous time allowance:
If you started in the very last corral at around 6:00 and it took you 75min to complete the race (making all of the picture stops) it would be 7:15. Figure an hour (at most?) to get post race pics/hang out in the finish area and take the bus or drive back to your resort. So now it's 8:15.

From a "middle of the road" time allowance:
Start in the middle of the corrals at 5:30. Take 45min to complete (making a few picture stops.) Now it's 6:15. Do a couple of the post race pics and go back to your resort. And now it's around 7:15 at the latest.

You're going to get all of the answers, and many will also be "it depends."
Are you participating in one of the challenges? Are you making a large time-zone adjustment? Is a 5k something you've gone couch-to-5k to complete? Are you doing park days before the 5k? In the days after the 5k? How well do you function with a 2-3am wakeup time?

For myself and DH we are currently planning our park day to be on 5k day of MW because we change resorts that day, and since I'm running Dopey I don't want to have a park day later in the trip because I want to conserve myself (I'm an open-to-close, do all the things, go go go person in the parks and would definitely overdo it.)

If all you’re doing is the 5K, I would plan a normal park day afterward. If you’re doing the 10K the next day, I would plan a light park day.

Last year for 5k, I was in the second corral. I was back in my hotel room by 6:30am. Quick shower and back to bed. Had to log in and work for a little bit later that morning. But if I didn't have to work, I would have been at the parks by noon if not earlier. I ended up heading over to MK around 4pm and staying until around 9pm.

For me, running Marathon Weekend is an excuse to justify another trip to WDW. :) So I always go to the parks for a bit after each race.

Last edited:

When you're done running and taking pics, hanging out for a bit post race...then what? Do you go to a park? Have a resort day? Go eat somewhere? Trying to get a feel for what we should plan after a 5k.
After a 5k, you have time to do just about anything you want because you'll be done and back to your resort by 8 or 9 at the latest.

Back to resort, a little nappy pooh, up around noon, pool, a couple Jai Alai, lunch at pool, (in the shade at the pool), back to room for short bit, dinner with one more Jai Alai, to bed early, wake up stupid early, at the Epcot for race.

After the 5k it is very feasible to have a normal park day. If you are running more races then it is advisable to go easy, reduce time on your feet, drink lots of water and try to get to bed early for that insane middle of the night wake up to get ready for the 10k.

I treat the 5k day like any other park day. Hustle back to the hotel after the race, shower and then go into the parks with my family. I have found getting in some walking helps keep soreness down. I try to watch my caffeine intake and drink more water. I also wear compression socks (knee high), it really helps me. Because MW is also my family’s vacation I try real hard to prioritize time with them through the day. But the compromise is we all do an early dinner 4-5. Then it is one last ride for me and then head back to hotel to get ready for the morning. Generally it is lights out around 9pm for me, family stays in the park. I run Dopey and this works well for me.

I wouldn't let the 5K alter my day at all. Other than the early wake up it is short enough not to make you tired for the rest of the day and done early enough it will only really impact early breakfasts.

After my last runDisney 5K (Princess) I took a nap (I live in the area but stayed on site for one night to make race morning easier), went to MK with my family and then went to Epcot for my closing shift (I’m not currently a CM but I was at the time). Would not recommend lol.

Joking aside, if not running the 10k the next day I would enjoy a park because I’m used to walking those kinds of distances. If running a race the next day (or multiple over the weekend) I’d chill. Have a resort day (relax at the pool) and maybe go to DS for lunch. Low key afternoon so I could get to bed early enough for the next morning.

Here's another thing that you can do if this particular tangent is your jam: Wine & Dine 10k day this year happens to be a Pokémon Go community day so I will be walking around EVEN MORE to go catch the special featured critter! Princess weekend this past year was Johto Go Tour day on the 10k day, so it's starting to be a pattern.......

Here's another thing that you can do if this particular tangent is your jam: Wine & Dine 10k day this year happens to be a Pokémon Go community day so I will be walking around EVEN MORE to go catch the special featured critter! Princess weekend this past year was Johto Go Tour day on the 10k day, so it's starting to be a pattern.......
YES!!! I thought I was the only rundisney person who played! I have gotten some of my best Pokémon on race mornings

For my past two on site 5ks:
Star Wars 2018: back to the room, showered, spent a few hours at MK, back to room…from there my running companion headed to springs for a celebratory pint at raglan road while I took a soak in the pool before early bedtime as I was doing 10k

W&D 2019: back to room, showered, watched a show on Hulu, headed to animal kingdom for a bit, went to springs for dinner than bed to rest up for 10k

Springtime was a night race so just went to room had a midnight snack showered than bed

My upcoming 5ks:
W&D we plan to go to animal kingdom for a bit in the afternoon than once our 4pm ADR at yak and yeti is done head to the room

Springtime is not a night race this season but since my pass tier is blocked out my plan is to bus to whatever park my companion who has a higher tier has reserved for the day than hop to a resort tbd for lunch than I may check out the photopass studio at springs to get medal pics done than depending on time/weather maybe sit by hotel pool

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter