• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you do for insomnia?

Frwinkley

DIS Veteran
My DH (early 60s) is having a terrible time with insomnia. Once he is asleep, he sleeps well. However, it is taking him hours to fall asleep! He had major surgery 3 months ago (but has recovered nicely from that) and the insomnia began about a month ago. He's never had this issue before and it's driving him crazy! He's hesitant to take any prescription meds and OTC meds contain an ingredient that seems to have the opposite effect. Instead of sleeping, his whole body becomes tingly. He's tried melatonin too, but that hasn't worked.

So what are your nightly rituals that help you sleep?

Calm App helped me a lot - I have similar issues with medication as he does and I won’t do prescription meds - calm app bedtime stories worked really well for me - I’ve had sleep issues my whole life and I’m no spring chicken - also they have music to sleep with - all different kinds
Good Luck !! 🍀👍

Not sure where you live, and I'm not joking here, but marijuana has all but cured my insomnia. I can't fall or stay asleep so it was a nightmare for a long time. Once I became a medical patient, I have been able to sleep soundly for 7-8 hours. If you live in an area where it's legal and your husband is open to it, give it a try. If you need tips on starting out with weed, send me a DM.

I occasionally have problems getting to sleep also. Meds have sometimes helped. I've used Nyquil, Melatonin, and Unisom. Melatonin used to be great, then it stopped.

My issue is "turning my brain off". What I've tried to do sometimes (and with some success) is replay part of my day in my mind. Not conversations, but relive walking or driving somewhere. Picturing in my head what I actually saw while I was doing that activity.

Sometimes I "reset"... leave the bed, go back out to the living room, read the Dis, or read my book, just about 10 minutes or so, then go back to bed. This occasionally works.

I've tried relaxing parts of my body, but the only thing I can relax is my mouth (go figure). I've tried CALM stories on youtube, they don't seem to work too well though.

Sorry, I haven't found anything that consistently works, but maybe I've given you some ideas to try.

Not sure where you live, and I'm not joking here, but marijuana has all but cured my insomnia. I can't fall or stay asleep so it was a nightmare for a long time. Once I became a medical patient, I have been able to sleep soundly for 7-8 hours. If you live in an area where it's legal and your husband is open to it, give it a try. If you need tips on starting out with weed, send me a DM.
Not legal where we live, but he could go the medical marijuana route. As a former cigarette smoker though, he's really not willing to smoke anything.

Not legal where we live, but he could go the medical marijuana route. As a former cigarette smoker though, he's really not willing to smoke anything.
I understand that, so eat it, don't smoke it. If you go the medical route, you also won't pay taxes and many dispensaries have sweet deals for medical patients. Just remember, that with edibles, the mantra is go low and go slow. Start with 5 mg and work your way up.

I understand that, so eat it, don't smoke it. If you go the medical route, you also won't pay taxes and many dispensaries have sweet deals for medical patients. Just remember, that with edibles, the mantra is go low and go slow. Start with 5 mg and work your way up.
And don't make the same mistake I did that one gummy is one "dose" (5mg).

He's hesitant to take any prescription meds and OTC meds contain an ingredient that seems to have the opposite effect. Instead of sleeping, his whole body becomes tingly. He's tried melatonin too, but that hasn't worked.

Depends on what one takes. The most common is the antihistamine diphenhydramine, which most people know as Benadryl, but is also sold (usually in a blue tablet/capsule/gelcap) as various sleep aids like Nytol/Sominex or as the sleep aid portion of Nyquil. I guess there's a possibility of a "paradoxical reaction" where the body reacts differently than with most people.

Diphenhydramine is a widely used antihistaminic that is frequently included in over-the-counter medications. Due to its sedating properties, diphenhydramine is used in some hypnotic preparations. Occasionally, patients respond to diphenhydramine with paradoxical excitation. There are no studies on the prevalence of paradoxical excitation in healthy subjects.​

It might be worth trying a different OTC sleep aid. I can use diphenhydramine, but once when I was dealing with insomnia I was taking doxylamine. The biggest brand name is Unisom, but they have different formulations including ones that contain diphenhydramine. I've heard some people who have paradoxical reactions to diphenhydramine get drowsy with doxylamine.

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but wanted to chime in. I swear by my weighted blanket. It somehow turns your brain off, and just sinks you into the bed and I'm asleep in 5 minutes

I would not self diagnose here and get some professional opinion... mainly as you noted other symptoms( tingly sensation etc)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter