What do you do when you can't sleep?

Read my kindle or sometimes watch a tv show on my phone. I don’t want to turn on a light and bother my husband who is a better sleeper than me. If it goes on too long, I go downstairs and watch tv.

Read on my Nook so the light doesn't wake my husband. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I've learned that when I can't get back to sleep (like anytime after 2am) it's because i'm either cold, hungry, or worrying about something. If I'm still awake at 4am, I'll go downstairs, get a snack, and do some grading (which is usually what I am worrying about getting finished on time). I usually don't go to bed until 11pm or midnight, so it's an issue if I wake by 3am and can't go back to sleep.

Lucky for me, it almost never happens. One thing I don’t do, is if I ever wake up in the night, I don’t turn on any lights or expose myself to a screen. That would “wake my brain up” and I’d be ready to do for the day.

If natural ways (reading, meditation, exercise, etc) don't help, I take Silenor (find info about it at Canadian pharmacy). I suffered from insomnia last year and it was caused by too much stress in my life. If it happens again, I know what I have to do and what I should change. Don't expect yourself to be perfect or to do everything. Set realistic expectations for yourself and others.

Last edited:
If my brain has woken up enough I can't get back to sleep, I play sudoku (Kindle) till my eyes get tired and I'm sleepy again. I used to read, but then I'd get too interested, and not get back to sleep...

This is me almost every night. I take 1/2 of a Kirkland sleeping pill a few times a week. Sometimes Melatonin but I have tried everything. Not much let's me get more than 4 hours of sleep. So,

I try to lay in bed hoping to fall asleep - but my mind is all over the place. I think of things, pray, count, etc.

If falling asleep after a while does not work, I will get up lay on the couch with or without TV on again hoping I will fall asleep eventually and get a few minutes of shut eye.

I might turn on my laptop or desktop.

I might start doing things around the house not making any noise (can't wake up DH).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter