• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you do with leftover groceries?

BuzzLightYear3

Mouseketeer
Hi....we just got back today from a week at BWV....one question....what do you do when you have leftover groceries? I hate to leave stuff in the room because I know it creates more work for the housekeeping staff, but it seems a real waste to throw away 8 cans of beer, an un-opened gallon of milk, juice boxes, etc., so I left it in the room in hopes that a CM could use it or they'd donate it or something. Anybody know what happens to unopened food that's left behind? Should I pitch it myself or leave it?

I try to find another guest around who might be interested in it, otherwie I leave it in the room.

We once moved from a GV to a one bedroom and upon unpacking we realized that we forgot to empty a full cupboard above the stove. It was packed with snacks like chips, cookies, nuts, microwave popcorn, cereal etc. We went back to the GV (@2 hours after checkout) and the CM's were at work getting the GV ready for the next visitor. They also had all our snacks out and most gone. Early lunch I guess. I believe they felt that we were long gone from OKW and left them for them. They were quite embaressed when I was at front door and said I left somethings and was back for them. When I saw what happened I left fast and felt bad that I made them feel bad. So I guess the CM;s either eat leftovers and I hope get to take home some. I only leave unopened packages that I feel look safe and fresh. I rather the CM's use than go to waste. I have read they are unable to do this but I do think they do. Once we checked in and got room and it was not ready. The CM's said they were leaving an unopened wine in fridge as they felt bad due to mix up. They warned me not to tell anyone!!

I pack up anything I can safely take home (bread, dry cereal, PB, boxed mixes, etc.). If I have room in the luggage I'll take cans home otherwise I leave those on the counter for the maid. I've frozen left over margarine and that makes it home ok (3 hour trip).

Any leftover milk, eggs, juice, soda ... I toss out myself.

Niagra2... I am still laughing about your experience. That is too funny.

During our trip to OKW last month, we had unopened 12 packs of Coke and Sprite (one of each). We tried to give them away during our last day to other guests we saw around our building. Everyone we offered them to looked at us as if we had gone mad and were trying to poison them.

We ended up leaving them in our room hoping the CMs would at least be able to use them. I figured they would have gotten thrown away, but now i have some hope that they went to some good use.

On a recent trip we were told by an OKW CM in a management position that the housekeepers are allowed to keep any food or drink that are not opened. We had things like cheese & crakers, some pudding cups, etc. that we left. We saw our housekeeper before we left & I mentioned to her that these items were for her. I have no problem with the housekeeper getting these items.

We always go through the fridge and cupboards and anything that is open is tossed out. All unopen things, soda, beer, chips etc., we pack up and take to bell services. They are always thrilled to receive it and have assured us several times that they do indeed use the stuff. When we left last month at OKW, we had bell services come up to the room to help bring our luggage down to the car due to DH's recent back surgery and being on the third floor...We had some left over lunch meat that was only a day old, I asked if he wanted it, the bread and mayo, along with all the other unopened stuff we had already given him, and he gladly accepted that too. So, from now on, I guess we'll ask before we toss out some of the open stuff that is still usable. We try very hard to not "over buy"...but when you're in the supermarket, it all looks so good, and it just seems to jump into our cart! We hate to waste any food, but we also refuse to lug it home in our suitcases..too heavy to drag through the airport!

The landry stuff that isn't used, we leave on the counter..Hope the housekeeping staff can take that stuff home!

It would be nice is each DVC resort had a spot where guests could leave unopened food items and unused laundry supplies..for CM's to help themselves, or to even be taken to a local food shelter.

DH and I just got back from our first DVC stay at VWL and we were wondering the same thing. We left unopened pudding packs, orange juice, bottled water, etc in the fridge. We were hoping that the CM would be able to use this stuff. I guess that I'm glad that we just left it in the fridge, as opposed to throwing it out. I just hate throwing out food, so I feel much better that someone may have been able to use it.

I bring it all home, including eggs. Opened juice or milk or ice cream gets tossed. I freeze anything that could perish on the return trip, makes an ice block to keep everything cold.
The eggs are tricky. I wrap them in paper towels.
Usually all but one make it home.
The only bad thing was Paul Newmans Italian dressing, that broke and oh, what a smell!!!!!
I do know that the CM's in housekeeping have to toss all food away. Not sure if they follow the rule, but, I do know it is a rule.
Call me cheap or silly, but, I hate to waste stuff.

I really like the idea of giving it to bell services and maybe the valet guys. We always left it for the CM's, but the guys downstairs probally don't get as much as the CM's, and might appreciate it a little more. besides they always seem to go out of the way for us.

Since I worked at the front desk of various hotels for many years I always make a plate for the desk staff. On our last trip to HH I made up a tray(the evening before we were to leave) with cold cuts, rolls and chips, as well as mayo and mustard packets. They were VERY happy for the unexpected dinner! The rest of the stuff I leave for housekeeping. It is one of the few "perks" of cleaning up behind people.

You all have given me some great ideas. I will remember to give my extra sodas to the guys and gals downstairs for all the running around they do. I usually just leave everything I have which is not much since we never use the stove. Take care, Tammy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter