What do you get ungrateful kids for Christmas??

Really? 6 years old kids cant responsible for their actions and comprehend "don't do that" and say" thank you"? lol. They comprehend if they behave a certain way , they can get what they want from their parents or anyone that bully boy bullies.

I grew up old school, my mom's side of the family (we really didn't talk to DF"s side but that was their choice) and they would correct my butt in a minute of my parents weren't there or if they didn't correct me fast enough. I have no problem correcting other kids besides my own.

If you give them a charity gift and they say something even the parents, that would honestly be the last time they got anything. Harsh but true. my neighbor has a daughter who would try to open other kid's presents and she was 8, she actually did start ripping into a girl's birthday presents and the mom thought it was cute.

next was my DD"s bday, dd wanted to invite her, she tried to start helping her. the mom was like oh isnt that cute she wants to be the center of attention. I was like no, because today is not her birthday and I told the girl to stop and sit down. the mom got mad and left, but oh well.

Ask their parents for permission to take them for an hour or two and come with two gifts for each of them. One for them to keep and the other for them to personally deliver to a child at a nearby children’s hospital. This is a great time of year to learn about charity and gratitude. But if you want them to learn the lesson you want it to stick. If they are angry because they got nothing, they won’t have even close to the right attitude about what they should learn and their parents won’t help as it seems from what you have said, they won’t see the good in what you are trying to do.

Since my dh died, we donate the money I would have spent on his Christmas presents to a charity and I have my daughter involved. I give her information on the charity and why we are sending the money. This is only our 2nd year doing it, but I think it is good for small children to learn about charity.

I don't understand all the anger toward the kids. Yes a 6yo should have some expectations of behavior but its not the aunts place to teach it.

If the OP really dosen't care for the kids this much she should limit the time spent with them but I repeat my post above. ....

It is Christmas - if you want to give a gift, a true gift should be something you think they will cherish or enjoy, small or large. It should be done for them not for you! A gift is given becuase you chose to give it not for the hope of a thank you or to teach a lesson IMHO.

Of course I agree that a thank you is always appropriate as is good behavior but it is not your job to discipline your neice and nephew regardless of how frustring their behavior may be.

If you think thank you cards are important then make sure you and your kids write them (especially to your Brother/Sister)!! Honestly one of my favorite parts of the holiday (and birthdays) is sitting down with my kids and doing thank you cards. Started with me writing what they said and progressing on until they could do their own. We have a good time remembing what each person picked out and writing to the giver :) Lead by example - family is family and take it from me life is too short.

Can't go wrong with moon sand. :thumbsup2 My sister in law gave DD who was 3 at the time a big bottle of gold glitter glue along with a tye dye t-shirt kit one Christmas. :confused3 She wouldn't let her kid play with playdoh but I get glitter glue and tye dye to mess with? So this year I'm "regifting" it back to her for her youngest who is now 2.

As for your niece and nephew I'm also with the group of they are only 6. Yes they should know by now how to be thankful and how to behave but obviously they aren't being taught that. You aren't going to be able to get a point across at their age by one gift. This year it's probably too late to make a rule regarding gift exchanges but for next year I would suggest that your family and theirs buy one small gift for the kids and then make a donation to a local charity for the other half of the gift. That can either be in the form of time spent, money or an actual gift. Then have the kids help and explain to them why it's important and how grateful the kids who receive them will be. Getting an annoying gift for the kids this year might help this suggestion for next year, due to the parents not wanting another bucket of moon sand for their kids to play with. :rotfl2: Every year since DD was born we've taken a portion of her holiday budget and spent it on a charity or local children's group. Now that she's almost 6 she loves picking out the toy that's going to another kid that might not have anything else under the tree. Your niece and nephew are not too old to get this point and hopefully you might make a bigger point by doing so to their parents.

As for the violence and tantrums I'd bring that up at a different time. I wouldn't try to hint at the bad behavior I'd make a direct point about it. Being bullied is not acceptable in any form anywhere.

I would get them toys. The loudest, shrillest, most obnoxiously annoying toys you can find. Toys that burn through batteries every 5 minutes. Toys the kids will love and your brother (and wife if there is one) will hate. Instead of "punishing" the kids, punish the parents :)

LOL! This!!

OP, what you wrote is something I could have written. My brother and SIL are getting my niece and nephew (4 and 6 respectively) DS's for Christmas (my personal opinion is that they're too young...but it's their choice I suppose). Anywho. Won't go into it...but suffice it to say, my brother and SIL are the most irresponsible parents I know...and I was torn on what to get the kids as I know that no matter what I get them, it'll be shoved in a corner come Christmas day as the kids play with their DS's.

Anyway! Good luck!

Not to be daft, but what is Moon Sand? I feel like I'm missing out on an incredible opportunity to annoy my friends with children.

OP - I feel your pain. I have twin nephews who are just like that and have always been..They are now 12.

When they were about 6 they opened the xmas present from us and one exclaimed loudly. Oh good there's the gift receipt on it so we can return it and get the money (Mom -my sis- thought it was cute:confused3) No more gift receipts were attached to their gifts in the future...

When they turned 11 (Sep 2010) I asked DSis if they would like a LEGO club membership again (had gotten the previous year for them) She actually asked them if they wanted that for a gift and they said yes. Things were chaotic at our house (DH had had knee surgery, I had begun working full time, kids, etc) so instead of getting them the LEGO gift Card to so they could purchase the membership, I just sent DSis a check to do it (no extra work on her part) Later I found out that they had used the money to buy new ipod touches. I was a little peeved.

Xmas season rolls around and the new Ipod touch 4 comes out and Guess what they want? There is noway in you know where that I would be buying that for my kids after they had gotten one 3 months earlier, but guess what they got for xmas? DSis said that was all they really wanted so she bought them...

Had to chuckle later that night..my DS's had also gotten Ipod touches for xmas, but ours had a bigger memory. Overheard one DNephew telling mom he was going to trade his in to get one with more memory like his cousins had:rotfl: - just chuckled to myself.

This year they had 5 things on their list - all expensive and some inappropriate for a 12 yo (Call of Duty 3 video game) I got them each a DVD, a money soap (soap that has money hidden inside it) and a $10 Itune GC

love it all. moon sand :lmao:

but when dealing with small ones, knowing its really the parent, I would just get the kids what I could with MY budget, and not sweat it if they were ungrateful. I would however get the PARENTS the child manner books for THEIR gift if I really felt like addressing the issue :rolleyes1

Since its pretty straightforward in our family what the budget is per child....the kids know not to ask for anything over $30 from aunts/ uncles. So glad we set that years ago when my 10 yr old niece was a baby.:cool2:

I feel ya. As for what to get them, here are some options:

Get a truck load of coal
I agree with the person who said get the most annoying toy you can find. Perhaps, the Annoying Orange! :lmao:
Clothes
A Book
The Twilight series on DVD (sorry, just had to say that since they are so bad IMO):laughing: :laughing:
Lemon Pledge

IThese kids are 6 not 16 and are really not responsible for their behavior at this point.
they behave like they do because everyone around them seems to think this way. At 6, my DD would have DEFINITELY been responsible for her behavior in this situation. They acvt as they do because no one HAS held them responsible for it. Someone needs to.

they behave like they do because everyone around them seems to think this way. At 6, my DD would have DEFINITELY been responsible for her behavior in this situation. They acvt as they do because no one HAS held them responsible for it. Someone needs to.

And that's exactly why I wouldn't hold the kids responsible. I'd buy them whatever I would buy if they were grateful and well behaved.

Their parents, on the other hand, might get a book on etiquette from me at some point.

My DDs are 8 and 5. I absolutely expect them to behave appropriately when given a gift, respect the feelings of the giver, and say thank you either verbally or in writing depending on the circumstances. But that's because I've *taught* them to do so. No way would they understand that - especially not my younger daughter - if no one had set a proper example for them. At this stage in their lives, making sure they know things like this is my responsibility.

Do they live close enough that you can gift them with the gift of time spent with you? I have twins and they NEVER get any 1:1 time with any other adult in our family, it's always together. Is there something active that you could do with each of them on his/her own trip, like an adventure ropes course? That wouldn't require sitting still/being quiet, but would require listening carefully to directions and following safety rules. You could model that behaving can actually be fun. These kids are going to grow up to be holy terrors if their parents permit it. It's not your job to change their family dynamic, but maybe you could just provide them with an alternate view? I have seen great kids come from some pretty crazy families. Just a few hours a year could make a big difference.

Wow, knowing that boy had physically hurt my kid (though did you say how the parents reacted and I missed it?... I'm tending to think the worst and that he got no discipline at all?) I would have a hard time mustering up the desire to reward that behavior with a great present, too. Not that the kid can connect this present with that behavior, but that's where my brain goes.

Nevertheless, the one thing I'm thinking is that whatever you do to these kids/parents could be paid back to your son next year... if the parents happen to be the retaliatory type, your well-behaved son could be getting moon sand and a goat in a 3rd world country next Christmas. I woudn't feel great about getting a thoughtful present for these kids... but maybe you can think of getting them a decent present as a personal act of charity and forgiveness this holiday. They may not appreciate it, but you (and we) will know what you actually spared them from! :)

As an Army Civilian that deals daily with all manner of lethal goodies, I can think of dozens of items that would be appropriate for the whole family. Things that would be really loud, really messy and quite permanent in their outcome. However, these would most likely be frowned upon by society at large. Therefore I would recommend some form of educational reading material that can be shared by both parents and children (I assume of course that all can read). My guess is it won't help, but at least you can feel that you've tried your best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter