What do you love about POFQ?

esilanna

Earning My Ears
So, my boyfriend and I are taking a trip in January, and we're paying for my mom to come with us because she loves WDW and hasn't been there in over ten years. We really wanted to do something nice for her, and this is it!

However...

We contacted a company to rent DVC points and rent a 1-bedroom suite at the Boardwalk. I was so excited, and she didn't seem to have any complaints until I actually confirmed the company to book the room. She didn't want to sleep on the pull-out bed, and made a comment along the lines of that just because I'm paying for the trip, I can't make her sleep on the floor. I mean, if I got a free stay at Disney I would be more than happy to sleep on the floor, but hey...

So anyways, I got a little frustrated and just canceled the whole thing and booked 2 separate rooms at POFQ to make her feel better, so she can have her own bed and bathroom. I'm happy to have personal space, and of course I'm happy to be at Disney (I mean c'mon...) but I was really excited to stay at the Boardwalk and use those deluxe amenities.
Now I'm just afraid we're going to be far away from everything and the theming won't be as awesome. It wound up being even more expensive to book FQ too. We couldn't afford a 2-bedroom anywhere, and booking 2 deluxe rooms obviously wouldn't cut it either. And we don't like staying off-site, especially for my mom's first trip back to WDW, I just want it to be special.

So essentially what I'm asking is if someone could make me feel better about staying at POFQ. I've never been there before and neither has my group, so I think I just need some good spirits. What do you love about this resort?

So, my boyfriend and I are taking a trip in January, and we're paying for my mom to come with us because she loves WDW and hasn't been there in over ten years. We really wanted to do something nice for her, and this is it!

However...

We contacted a company to rent DVC points and rent a 1-bedroom suite at the Boardwalk. I was so excited, and she didn't seem to have any complaints until I actually confirmed the company to book the room. She didn't want to sleep on the pull-out bed, and made a comment along the lines of that just because I'm paying for the trip, I can't make her sleep on the floor. I mean, if I got a free stay at Disney I would be more than happy to sleep on the floor, but hey...

So anyways, I got a little frustrated and just canceled the whole thing and booked 2 separate rooms at POFQ to make her feel better, so she can have her own bed and bathroom. I'm happy to have personal space, and of course I'm happy to be at Disney (I mean c'mon...) but I was really excited to stay at the Boardwalk and use those deluxe amenities.
Now I'm just afraid we're going to be far away from everything and the theming won't be as awesome. It wound up being even more expensive to book FQ too. We couldn't afford a 2-bedroom anywhere, and booking 2 deluxe rooms obviously wouldn't cut it either. And we don't like staying off-site, especially for my mom's first trip back to WDW, I just want it to be special.

So essentially what I'm asking is if someone could make me feel better about staying at POFQ. I've never been there before and neither has my group, so I think I just need some good spirits. What do you love about this resort?

I LOVE POFQ; I'd rather stay there than a deluxe. Small resort, easy to get around. I don't know how old your Mom is but she might like not having to walk far. Beautiful resort.
You can take the boat to Disney Springs.

"unofficial guide" has tons of info, IMO you won't be disappointed
https://www.portorleans.org/

Stayed at all levels for many years, and FQ is a family favorite. We love the theme, the small size of the resort, the music, the boat to DS, only one bus stop, the walk to Riverside, the CM's, freshly made beignets (now Mickey shaped), good food court, and Scat Cat's...

Have fun! I know it is a bummer when you don't get to stay at the Hotel you want, but if you have to go somewhere else, FQ is the ticket, IMO.

Oh, and who can forget the horse drawn carriages clopping around, and Scales the sea serpent slide at the pool!

POFQ is my favorite non Deluxe resort. You get to see Arneil the most famous greeter in all of Disney World. You also have great music at Scat Cats Club.

Just FYI, Arneil retired not long ago, I haven't heard who the greeter is now...

Unfortunately Arneil has retired. However the POFQ is our absolute favorite resort and we used to be Poly fans, the grounds, CM's, everything about this resort is relaxing and beautiful.

I LOVE POFQ; I'd rather stay there than a deluxe. Small resort, easy to get around. I don't know how old your Mom is but she might like not having to walk far. Beautiful resort.
You can take the boat to Disney Springs.

"unofficial guide" has tons of info, IMO you won't be disappointed
https://www.portorleans.org/

My mom is only 50, however she does have some hip issues. So less walking definitely sounds great!

These comments are definitely making me feel better about my decision. I'm going to check out the POFQ board.

I also love POFQ because of the size - because the line for the bus back to the resort after a long day at the park is always so much shorter than everyone else's line! (And then once you're back at the resort, getting to your room only take a quick minute or two...)

The boat the Disney Springs is an added bonus. As are the gardens around the resort.

That is the biggest thing I hate about DVC, you only get 1 real bed unless you go all the way up to a 2 bdrm:( I really cannot blame her, I could only sleep on the pullout a couple of nights in a row, did you ask if she would not mind switching every couple of nights. For us it would not have been an issue, DW and I would have just gave our mom(s) the bedroom. Since they would be going to bed earlier then we do, and we would not want to tie up the whole living area because of it and be trapped in the bedroom.
Our family loves POFQ for it's southern charm theme and brick walk ways, you can walk/boat over to POR and swim, eat, watch yeehaa Bob or take a carriage ride. The pool layout is nice but it does not even come close to comparing to SAB.

I love POFQ, it is among my favorite resorts. It is a charming compact little resort with lovely pluck grounds, and soft jazzy music playing softly in the common areas. My favorite time of day there is early morning. The sidewalks and "streets" are freshly washed, and as you walk along little bunnies peek out from beneath the bushes. Just peaceful!

The water taxi is a special treat, especially in the evening. The ride to DS is relaxing, and as you pass along SSR youget a view of the treehouses lit up. Pretty!

I need to agree with your Mom. I could not sleep in a pull out sofa and then still walk the next day. I would choose POFQ over any studio.

I love this thread! I am considering POFQ for my next trip and people on here consistently rave about it!

That is the biggest thing I hate about DVC, you only get 1 real bed unless you go all the way up to a 2 bdrm:( I really cannot blame her, I could only sleep on the pullout a couple of nights in a row, did you ask if she would not mind switching every couple of nights. For us it would not have been an issue, DW and I would have just gave our mom(s) the bedroom. Since they would be going to bed earlier then we do, and we would not want to tie up the whole living area because of it and be trapped in the bedroom.

I have severe back problems from a recent accident, so my mom would never give up the full bed even if I begged her to. And of course I don’t blame her either— I just wish she expressed it before it was ready to go :(

Yes, I understand that it is bit frustrating. Fortunately, she did let you know in time to make the change to POFQ, so that is a good thing!

POFQ is an awesome resort! So pretty and easy to get around. Also you can walk to the sister resort and use all of the amenities over at POR (including the pools). As others have noted the boat to DS is very nice. Be sure to have some of the fresh beignets and maybe enjoy a horse and buggy ride.

The BW is a nice resort, but so is POFQ! And it is so much nicer to each have your own space. You may find that having your own private room separate from your Mom is nice for everyone. She will be much happier in her own room and perhaps you will be too. WDW is not a place to put up with poor sleep. Our family's main requirement when booking any WDW resort is a real bed for everyone to sleep on. Which resort we stay in depends upon which resort will provide that and allow us to stay within our budget.

Enjoy POFQ!

We typically stay deluxe but POFQ is the best mod. So small and charming. Rooms were recently refurbed so they now include wood floors and large flat screen TVs. The boat to DS is wonderful, buses were easy. CMs are great. Everything is just right there which makes life easy.

Sorry your mom was being ungrateful about it but separate rooms will be nice!

I think you made a good decision choosing 2 rooms at POFQ - you want everyone to be comfortable! Having your own personal space is important.

I have stayed at POR with my mom- not POFQ- however I am booking POFQ for an upcoming trip. Many report that the beds are super comfortable. The rooms have been recently renovated. The food court is pretty good (something they don't have at Boardwalk). The boat to Disney Springs is something I really enjoy- a big plus IMO as there are so many shopping, entertainment and dining options there.

You can also use the pools at POR if you want to - and there are a few to choose from.

I have severe back problems from a recent accident, so my mom would never give up the full bed even if I begged her to. And of course I don’t blame her either— I just wish she expressed it before it was ready to go :(

I think that sometimes you should be grateful for unanswered prayers. We travel as extended family often and so we are very used to sharing space, however we are pretty careful who we share with. I love all of my family, but will not share a room with every member, no matter how close we are. In your case, you and your Mom probably dodged a bullet in regards to the sleeping arrangements, and are in better shape now at POFQ. If your Mom was not comfortable on that couch, and I know I would not have been, by the end of the trip you probably would not even be speaking. As frustrating as the change must have been, I think you all are in a much better position for a good vacation now. I hope you enjoy one of my favorite resorts!

The DVC resorts are really nice, and we love the home-away-from-home amenities that they are furnished with. But POFQ is really charming too. Most of the guest buildings are within reasonable proximity to dining/pool area/lobby. There are just a few buildings that I would say are a "hike". The pool also has a really nice waterslide for kids. Lets not forget the beignets! A delicious way to start (or end) the day. :-)

Jeff
Twitter.com/MouseMadePlace

You won't be compromising on theming at all, POFQ has it in spades! Take some time to explore PORS too, as the various areas of the 2 resorts are all lovely in their own way. Sassagoola Floatworks has some awesome Creole-inspired food items, especially the beignets. Yeeha (sp?) Bob is a fun performer and going over to the lounge for snacks and a drink to watch him is a nice non-park evening. The ferry to Disney Springs is really nice and relaxing too! So are the carriage rides! Don't worry, you will have a GREAT time at Port Orleans :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter