What do you nerd out about besides Disney?

Maps. I am the Map Queen. A GPS is fine, but I like seeing things on a map or atlas. I like to know where I'll be in relation to other locations.

I can and do spend hours looking over maps when I have a trip! Will enjoy maps even if I do not have a trip. While the GPS is incredibly helpful, it is dull and sterile.

Waterfalls. I'll drive 100 miles out of my way to see a spectacular waterfall. I'll hike 10 miles for one. I have waterfall calendars and waterfall screensavers.

The Divergent series!! I don't know why I'm so obsessed with the series, but I just am!

I also really love learning about the Royals in the UK. Ooooh - and the Civil war!

Math. I'm a math geek and proud of it. I grew up at a time when girls weren't "supposed" to understand math, so nobody worried about my low math grades. I took algebra 1 twice before I passed it with a C. Since girls weren't expected to learn math, nobody bothered to realize that I wasn't paying attention and was having more fun writing notes than doing math. I struggled with math all through college and grad school, too. FINALLY, when I was out in the work-world, I learned how to use math in a variety of applications. I realized that I'd missed a LOT of the basic math skills (like how to multiply fractions, change fractions to decimals or percents, stuff like that) and went back and learned them. I discovered that now that I knew what I was doing, I really liked math... enough so that I am now teaching math to K-5 students in a one-on-one setting, and I LOVE it!!

I have a math question I "should" know how to do, but I'm drawing a blank.

I have a circle 26 feet in diameter.
I have a straight line 12 feet in length that intersects the outer edge of the circle at each end

What is the distance (in a straight line) from the midpoint of that 12' line to the nearest outer edge of the circle?

Okay, here goes: I'm and history and "useless knowledge" nut, so NASA Lunar program is my nerdness.
The Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions that include the people, machines and engineering that took us to the moon has interested me for quite some time.

The NASA manned space program has been an incredible benefit to mankind. Each of us benefit everyday from the science and technology that came out of those space programs. Countless young men and and women were inspired by Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs and astronauts and went on to careers that contribute to the betterment of life all over the planet.

Our students today could use some more of the inspiration that was created by Shepard, Glenn, Armstrong, Lovell ....

By learning what they did, we can teach others that the impossible is possible.

Waterfalls. I'll drive 100 miles out of my way to see a spectacular waterfall. I'll hike 10 miles for one. I have waterfall calendars and waterfall screensavers.

I recommend a trip to British Columbia and Alaska! Waterfalls galore!

My top 3 nerd obessions besides Disney are Star Wars, Batman and pro wrestling.

Star Wars, Doctor Who, Macross, Marvel Universe Movies and TV shows (but not Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, or Agent Carter so much) and I love sharing music and video games with my daughter.

The NASA manned space program has been an incredible benefit to mankind. Each of us benefit everyday from the science and technology that came out of those space programs. Countless young men and and women were inspired by Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs and astronauts and went on to careers that contribute to the betterment of life all over the planet.

Our students today could use some more of the inspiration that was created by Shepard, Glenn, Armstrong, Lovell ....

By learning what they did, we can teach others that the impossible is possible.
So true...Couldn't have said it better!

Harry Potter
The Hunger Games Series
Gone With the Wind
And old tv shows like Laverne & Shirley or I Love Lucy

Dogs
Star Wars
Books
Kindles (I have 6 - and no, I don't know how that happened)

Video games in general - decorating my game room is my new obsession.

Play video games while being surrounded by game stuff? Yes please.

The Dragonriders of Pern (book series)
Battlestar Galactica (new, not old)
The Tudor Monarchy (the real history, historical fiction, clothing, food, pretty much everything from that time period)

Geography. States and provinces and their capitals. Countries and their capitals, etc. Maybe even counties and their seats. Not so much the history of those countries, however.

Maps. I am the Map Queen. A GPS is fine, but I like seeing things on a map or atlas. I like to know where I'll be in relation to other locations.

For my name on my last Magic Band I used "MapQueen"

Maps, and maps, and maps, and maps........and HISTORY that goes with the maps! ;-)

I can and do spend hours looking over maps when I have a trip! Will enjoy maps even if I do not have a trip. While the GPS is incredibly helpful, it is dull and sterile.

I have loved maps since I was a kid. I do GIS at work and LOVE it! And when we plan a trip I'm the planner.

Star Wars & MCU (although I guess those are technically Disney...)
Doctor Who
X-Files
MST3K
Harry Potter
Supernatural

Last edited:
J.R.R. Tolkien, books more than movies: Lord of the Rings; Silmarillion; Unfinished Tales, etc.

Stargate Atlantis. Don't care that it ended years ago... that's what dvds are for!

Stephen King books. I like rereading to look for The Dark Tower ties. Plus, I just like rereading them!

J.R.R. Tolkien, books more than movies: Lord of the Rings; Silmarillion; Unfinished Tales, etc.

Stargate Atlantis. Don't care that it ended years ago... that's what dvds are for!

Stephen King books. I like rereading to look for The Dark Tower ties. Plus, I just like rereading them!

I love The Dark Tower nods in other Stephen King books. The best one was in Insomnia (I think). There's even one in the movie The Mist..

Honestly I'm a tv and book nerd. I love to talk about whatever I'm watching /reading like I know the characters IRL. It is always changing as to what I am currently obsessed with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter