• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you take into the parks (and what do you leave behind)?

How do you carry the sunscreen? We always need more during the day and its one of things in my bag.

Depends on how much you need I typically carry a large bottle because there are a lot of us and I insist on multiple reapplications. But I burn! And it is immediate and bad, I’ve had more then my fair share of peeling skin so bad I can’t move the next day from not carefully applying and reapplying in Florida! Not everyone is that intolerant to sun so if you don’t need more then one reapplication and don’t have a large group you could always do one of the following:
-small travel bottles with a clip
-stick sunscreens (I don’t think I get good enough coverage with them but that’s me)
-packets of sunscreen (you can purchase from amazon)
I’ve clearly researched alternatives (I am considering the packets and a small clip bottle next time- it’s not like we need a full bottle per day, more like a half)...

So, as a family with an 19 month old and a 6 year old I will probably carry:

-Diapers (ugh I do normally overpack on these, but they are light and I’d hate to run out of our perferred brand)
-Wipes (I have run out on occasion- not fun!)
-diaper rash cream
-change of clothing for the baby
-milk (I know I can buy it but I put it in the little “cooler” you can get for the city mini)
-cup for milk
-3 snacks for the baby, none for the 6 year old - she can have a day of ice cream, etc.
- water bottle (I’m actually reconsidering this one on this trip)
-autograph stuff
-bandaids
-painkillers
-shout wipes
-ponchos
-sunscreen
-lip balm
-princess crown for DD
-a toy or 2 for DS
-a light wight blanket to cover the stroller as DS naps
-battery for cell phone
-cell phone
-sun hat for all family members
-sun glasses
-small ID case (ID and 1 credit card)
-cash

Stuff I won’t do again- as someone else said the dollar store glow sticks, we don’t really use them. Certain autograph supplies - One year we did the photo mat and it looks great! But it was a PIA to carry, i was concerned it would get bent... nope never again. I also did the character encyclopedia one year, I found that to be heavy but at least easier to carry. I also am done with princess dresses for DD, she can put the crown on and get a photo, that is more then enough (we did use them it’s just they are one more thing that I don’t want to have to bring). I’ve also overpacked on snacks (that’s why I have the limit, no need for more - we can buy snacks and ended up buying them as DD got older - they were a godsend when she was really little, hence the snacks for DS). No more drinks for me, again it’s heavy and I can buy them when I want it. And no packed lunches, it works for some families but not mine.

My goal this trip is 1 bag that gets progressively lighter as DS has his milk during the day...

And I cannot wait until DS is potty trained and this list is down to a more manageable size!

Depends on how much you need I typically carry a large bottle because there are a lot of us and I insist on multiple reapplications. But I burn! And it is immediate and bad, I’ve had more then my fair share of peeling skin so bad I can’t move the next day from not carefully applying and reapplying in Florida! Not everyone is that intolerant to sun so if you don’t need more then one reapplication and don’t have a large group you could always do one of the following:
-small travel bottles with a clip
-stick sunscreens (I don’t think I get good enough coverage with them but that’s me)
-packets of sunscreen (you can purchase from amazon)
I’ve clearly researched alternatives (I am considering the packets and a small clip bottle next time- it’s not like we need a full bottle per day, more like a half)...
Thanks ~ I'm curious because he said that he doesn't use a bag...

Honestly I always have a couple of bandaids and a packet of neosporin in my purse, and a travel bottle of Aleve. I can remember one trip we were on Tom Sawyer’s island and my daughter fell. It was a small scrape but she was 4 and hated to see blood. The bandaid was very useful for us then. I’m sure I could have tracked down a first aid center but really grabbing one from my purse was easier. And again, it is literally always in my purse. Now I don’t have a full on first aid kit, that’s a little extreme were not backpacking in the wilderness! But I think most people mean a few bandaids and painkillers. It may not be on your list but with kids it’s on mine - even if I never have a need for it again.
I can see how a parent of a small child might need to bring in extra stuff. I feel badly for those parents bringing in giant diaper bags for infants. Our take was always, the kid is one and a half. Leave her/him home with grandma. They are going to remember zero about the trip anyway. Sort of the way a first birthday is less for the child and more about the parents celebrating that they were good parents and got the child to one so far

Last edited:

You just paid $120 to get in... Disney will throw you a bandaid if you stub your toe. We really have deteriorated into a soft needy society, haven't we?

I can't speak for anyone else, but we do take in bandaids. It's not for stubbed toes, but for the fact that even the best shoes can give you blisters when you're topping 25,000+ steps in a day. We're a RD to Fireworks couple most times, and we like to have a few bandaids in our bag to toss on a spot that's starting to feel like it might blister BEFORE one shows up. Rather than making us a "soft, needy" couple: we figure it saves us having to stop whatever we're doing and find the nearest first aid area. Same with advil. Sure, we could hike over to the nearest first aid location and get a couple tabs...or we could just have a small pill box in our bag and keep going with our day, mostly uninterrupted.

No bag. Phone in pocket. Vera Bradley lanyard with ID pouch for TIW card, AP card, DVC member card, license and Disney Chase Visa (in case MB don't work to charge as one time they didn't). I do put a bandaid in there too as I often get blisters on my feet. DH just carries his phone in pocket.

I bring my phone, ID, a credit card, a small bottle of sunscreen that clips on a belt loop, a bottle of water that I can toss when I'm tired of carrying it. That's about it. What else do you really need?

Ditto. That's about all I carry as well -- I just add a small lip gloss, a few band-aids, a little bit of cash, and possibly a cheap rain poncho if there is a lot of rain in the forecast or we're riding KRR. My husband and I usually each have a small bottle of sunscreen attached to a belt loop. We will also carry 2 or 3 portable lipstick size phone chargers between 5 or 6 of us.

I used to carry all kinds of crap with me in a crossbody bag because we have 5 kids and I felt like I needed to be prepared for anything. Then I realized that after 3 trips (21 days in the parks) we NEVER used 99% of what I was lugging around so I quit carrying the bag even though we still had kids with us at the parks (the youngest was 4 at the time). Now I use a clear lanyard for my phone, ID, credit card and cash and if we unexpectedly need something that we don't have in our pockets, we just buy it in the park. So far, after 5 trips of going bagless, the only thing I've had to buy at the parks was 2 packs of tissues and that was simply because DD had a cold and I forgot to grab the packs I had laying out in the room.

I can't speak for anyone else, but we do take in bandaids. It's not for stubbed toes, but for the fact that even the best shoes can give you blisters when you're topping 25,000+ steps in a day. We're a RD to Fireworks couple most times, and we like to have a few bandaids in our bag to toss on a spot that's starting to feel like it might blister BEFORE one shows up.
I don't get how people spend the day in flip flops.

I use a small Baggallini bag that has a cross strap so it hangs across like a messager bag. I have Invisalign braces so I have to carry a retainer case, plus toothbrush and toothpaste. I love those Splash Mountain ziplock bags for stuff like that. I have a SS water bottle that fits into the mesh pocket. Also carry sunscreen, rain jacket if there a forecast for showers, battery changer for phone, sunglasses if I have my contacts in. My wallet, cellphone are in my pockets. I also have a mini umbrella that could be thrown in backpack. Totally hate the ponchos. So I rather use a rain jacket and umbrella.

For me, DH, 2 yo, 11 yo, and 14 yo we pack:
1 bottle of sunscreen
Snacks- we have some dietary concerns so I pack nuts/ beef jerky for DH, and 1-2 granola bars/ Uncrustables/ squeeze pouches for 2 yo (in case meals are running late and he's hangry. It's cheap insurance). Snacks fit in a 1 quart bag, that's my limit.
Diapers and wipes for 2 yo
1-2 sample size packets of diaper cream (it's cheap insurance)
1 trial size gold bond powder (11 yo chafes, and it can help in sneakers to prevent blisters so again, cheap insurance).
A few band-aids. Takes up almost no room, doesn't weigh much, and since I'm already carrying a bag it's easier than going to get one when the need arises.
Cup for 2 yo
Cheap plastic ponchos (great if it rains, also great if you need to sit down somewhere that is wet after it rains)
Autograph supplies- some Sharpies and note cards (or booklets, depends on what we decide to do but whatever it is has to be compact and easy to carry without worrying about it getting ruined)
Water bottles- we fill them at fountains/ quick service. We drink A LOT of water (I drink over a gallon a day on a regular day, more than that at Disney)
Cameras- I'm a photographer, I always bring it, Disney is a GREAT opportunity for me to work on my skills
Hats/ sunglasses/ Mickey ears- they're on heads so not exactly carrying, but they do come along
ID/ credit card/ a little cash
Magic Band
feminine supplies if needed
battery charger for phone (can't mobile order my dole whip without phone battery)

All of this fits in a small bag that goes in the stroller. If I find we regularly don't use any of this, then I stop bringing it.

If it's just me and DH we bring:
Camera
Sunscreen
Band-aids
Hat/ sunglasses/ Mickey ears
ID/ credit card/ a little cash
Magic Band
cheap ponchos
water bottles
feminine supplies if needed
battery charger for phone

I never bring:
Socks. If our feet get that wet in the rain, I will buy some at a gift shop (have not had to do this yet)
Umbrella- cheap poncho does the trick just fine, or I'll duck into an attraction/ gift shop.
Plates/ utensils for 2 yo. He manages with plastic utensils/ paper plates (even a "real" fork and plate in a restaurant but any TS will bring paper/ plastic if I've asked as well). I have seen people pull a restaurant's worth of toddler plates/ cups/ bowls/ utensils out of their bag.

I totally agree with you! Flip flops at Disney are crazy! I wear my Ecco shoes and while usually they're amazing at Disney they still rub in places they've never rubbed before because I don't usually walk 25k-30k steps in a day and then keep doing that every day for a week. I wore flip flops once at Disney, because I'd packed the worst shoes ever on my first trip as a semi-adult and they were killing me with blisters, so flip flops until I could get back to the hotel and get in tennis shoes were a god send. But flip flops all day? My feet would die.

We used a mini backpack and brought water (2) sunscreen, blister bandaids (just in case!) and phones. We had enough room to throw our sunglasses in when we went on thrill rides, and we used our magic bands in place of credit cards or cash. The Magic Bands were great, we were on the dining plan and having the plan linked to them was really convenient. We used snack & meal credits all day, otherwise we would have packed snacks as well. There was one day (MNSSHP night) when we were going to be there all day/night and were not taking a break at the resort, so we brought a larger backpack and threw in our party outfits and camera as well. I was actually really surprised at how little we needed most days. lol.

We used a mini backpack and brought water (2) sunscreen, blister bandaids (just in case!) and phones. We had enough room to throw our sunglasses in when we went on thrill rides, and we used our magic bands in place of credit cards or cash. The Magic Bands were great, we were on the dining plan and having the plan linked to them was really convenient. We used snack & meal credits all day, otherwise we would have packed snacks as well. There was one day (MNSSHP night) when we were going to be there all day/night and were not taking a break at the resort, so we brought a larger backpack and threw in our party outfits and camera as well. I was actually really surprised at how little we needed most days. lol.

We also use our magic bands for everything. Just be aware that occasionally the payment system goes down and you can't use your magic bands or credit/debit cards for payment. It doesn't happen often and it usually only lasts an hour or two, but you will hear about it on message boards a few times a year. It happened to us one time but fortunately we had some cash with us. We were literally in line buying some drinks and snacks when the system went down. There's also a chance that for whatever reason, your charging privileges will be frozen/won't work on your Magic Band. That also happened to us one time. For some reason on day 7 of that trip our credit card information on file reverted to a card that had been cancelled 3 years earlier (charging to the MB worked fine up until that day). We've also run into the problem of having hit the credit limit for the resort and needing to have the resort put a charge through to the card to open up charging to the MB again (but that probably won't be a problem anymore with the new policy at the resorts). Again, fortunately in both of those charging situations, we had a credit card with us to use. It's always good to have a little cash and a credit/debit card on you "just in case".

On my last Disney trip (2012, pre-kids), my DH and I only had my small cross body bag (ebag), which you can see in my avatar. The essentials we carried were IDs, key cards (this was before magic bands), spare cash, a credit card, sunscreen (and yes, I need to reapply very often, so it was a big bottle), phone, camera, a ziploc bag to put electronics in during water rides, and a brita water bottle that had a filter. That bag was perfect.

Now that we're planning a trip with a kid, we will be taking just a little bit more. I will probably carry a small backpack or sling bag that has all of the items listed above plus some ponchos, a sweater (we're going in Feb), and snacks. My DD will almost be 5 at the time of the trip, and she will be wearing her own (small) backpack to carry her autograph book and sharpie and probably a sweatshirt/jacket.

I live in flip flops! I used to even be able to wear the cheap Old Navy ones for the whole day at Disney. After having kids and gaining some weight, I have plantar fasciitis. However, that just means I've upgraded to good flip flops that have support! I hate my feet being enclosed in shoes, and I get so hot (even in the winter) if my feet are covered. I get more blisters from shoes than I ever have from flip flops.

Our school districts here where I live always have the same exact SB week. Always last week of March (week you are at WDW). Doesn't matter when Easter falls. Same for my TX family in Houston districts. Do other areas move their SB around to have it fall around Easter? If so, it would seem on a year like this when there are SB's spanning 5-6 weeks, it might be better than the years when Easter falls in March and you have pretty much the whole country with March SB's. Not sure if that makes any sense at all. Just hoping it's not too bad for your trip!

Omg! That’s ridiculous! We have a fire hydrant hidden under one of our giant snow piles.

I totally agree with you! Flip flops at Disney are crazy! I wear my Ecco shoes and while usually they're amazing at Disney they still rub in places they've never rubbed before because I don't usually walk 25k-30k steps in a day and then keep doing that every day for a week. I wore flip flops once at Disney, because I'd packed the worst shoes ever on my first trip as a semi-adult and they were killing me with blisters, so flip flops until I could get back to the hotel and get in tennis shoes were a god send. But flip flops all day? My feet would die.

On my last Disney trip (2012, pre-kids), my DH and I only had my small cross body bag (ebag), which you can see in my avatar. The essentials we carried were IDs, key cards (this was before magic bands), spare cash, a credit card, sunscreen (and yes, I need to reapply very often, so it was a big bottle), phone, camera, a ziploc bag to put electronics in during water rides, and a brita water bottle that had a filter. That bag was perfect.

Now that we're planning a trip with a kid, we will be taking just a little bit more. I will probably carry a small backpack or sling bag that has all of the items listed above plus some ponchos, a sweater (we're going in Feb), and snacks. My DD will almost be 5 at the time of the trip, and she will be wearing her own (small) backpack to carry her autograph book and sharpie and probably a sweatshirt/jacket.

I live in flip flops! I used to even be able to wear the cheap Old Navy ones for the whole day at Disney. After having kids and gaining some weight, I have plantar fasciitis. However, that just means I've upgraded to good flip flops that have support! I hate my feet being enclosed in shoes, and I get so hot (even in the winter) if my feet are covered. I get more blisters from shoes than I ever have from flip flops.

You must be my foot twin, because YES. I am usually in more pain/have more blisters from shoes than flip flops. I hate shoes typically, I cannot stand the sensation of my feet being binded up. I hate socks too.

I wore NIKE flip flops in the park several days. The padded gel type ones and it was amazing. The first night in fact I did it on accident. I had those on for traveling (airports), my Tieks, and everyone forced me to buy (and break in several months in advance) sneakers. I never took the flip flops off when we checked in and settled in before heading to the parks. When we got back to the room and my feet didn't hurt, I knew I had won. Those sneakers never left my bag. I did wear my Tieks a few times though.

I did wear my Tieks a few times though.

How did you find Tieks in the park/for that much walking? I'm a teacher and recovering from a broken ankle a few months ago, and Tieks look amazing but are not a small investment on a teaching budget. Did they hold up?

How did you find Tieks in the park/for that much walking? I'm a teacher and recovering from a broken ankle a few months ago, and Tieks look amazing but are not a small investment on a teaching budget. Did they hold up?

They were AMAZING. I wore them around my house all summer to stretch them a bit and break them in. I live in them from May-November. We spent long days in the park and it didn't even feel like I was wearing shoes! I own 3 pairs :love::love:

I can see how a parent of a small child might need to bring in extra stuff. I feel badly for those parents bringing in giant diaper bags for infants. Our take was always, the kid is one and a half. Leave her/him home with grandma. They are going to remember zero about the trip anyway. Sort of the way a first birthday is less for the child and more about the parents celebrating that they were good parents and got the child to one so far

I can understand that. I personally go to see my kids get excited and that is what is fun for me. But I can see the other side - one of the most relaxed trips to Disney I took was for my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary. We didn’t have kids yet and spent the day relaxing walking around Epcot having a few drinks and just enjoying the sites. I think we went on 2 maybe 3 rides. And had tons of fun! With no planning! And I’m pretty sure I got by with just my purse...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter