What do you think about picking teams in gym class?

And, can I take a moment to remind everyone that there is a huge difference in the definition of PE, and actual and optional competitive sports where, yes, winning is an objective.
That really seems to be lost on so many here.

Anyhow, stand your ground on your position for a while, or simply give some people enough rope, and somehow, they do start to show their true colors.
They aren't always pretty.

I have 3 kids, and when my kids would complain stating this and that isn't fair. my response would always be life isn't fair.
and they got over it. Nobody gets every thing they want or do you?

Life isn’t always fair but honestly, imo, this isn’t about being fair. Or getting what you want. It’s just a small thing that can alleviate one child being humiliated.

I used the “life isn’t fair” for things like the coach picking an alumni’s kid over a talented kid for a sport or when Dd got called out in choir for missing a performance when she was sick while another girl missed to go to a Justin Bieber concert and nothing was said. Those things are about fair.

And, can I take a moment to remind everyone that there is a huge difference in the definition of PE, and actual and optional competitive sports where, yes, winning is an objective.

Anyhow, stand your ground on your position for a while, or simply give some people enough rope, and somehow, they do start to show their true colors.

LOL, we are talking about middle schoolers and high schoolers so yes even in PE class if those kids are put on a team to play against another team the ones that care will want to win. You obviously need reminding that that is their objective.

So, let's say this does happen in some cases.
You truly think that makes it right.
Again...
NO WORDS.
For someone who has "No Words", you sure do post a lot.

What is "this" or "it"? You either have a problem understanding my point or making yours.

FACT: When participating in a PE class, the skill (or lack there of) of every student is out there for everyone to see.
FACT: *IF* a teacher posted everyone's grades, the knowledge (or lack there of) of every student is out there for everyone to see.

First, another poster brought up about posting everyone's grades.
Second, I never said that it happens or that it is right. I simply said posting grades would be the same as what's on display in a PE class.

Now, if you don't want other kids to know Jimmy isn't a good athlete, then you would have to keep him out of PE class. And you think that's "right"?

As far as the definition of PE, it's "Physical Education". In my mind, that would entail teaching kids how to be physically active. That could be team sports (basketball, soccer, baseball, etc), pairs (ping pong), or individual (weight lifting, running). I don't think you can just tell kids "go do what you want". When I took PE, we'd do a week or so on various activities. So a week of basketball, a week of baseball, etc, etc. So what does PE mean to you?

Still.... absolutely no justification for kids picking teams.
That is the actual topic here, right? PE, as compared to optional signing up for sports teams, is just a huge underlying factor.
BUT, hey... good try, again. Have at it!!!

My son was born with and diagnosed with very real deficits in Mathmatics.
Should he be forced to be shamed every day in a manddatory Math class, due to something that he was handed by birth and has no real control over?
IMHO, in any other similar situation, that would be some real prejudice/discrimination etc.
Should he be forced into situations where he is basically forced into competing as a Mathlete, in a basic and mandatory class that ALL kids are supposed to feel welcomed and comfortable in. In an appropriate learning environment.

I have a lot still to do around here, so. I am outa-here.
You guys can continue to attempt to justify.
:cool1:

For someone who has "No Words", you sure do post a lot.

What is "this" or "it"? You either have a problem understanding my point or making yours.

FACT: When participating in a PE class, the skill (or lack there of) of every student is out there for everyone to see.
FACT: *IF* a teacher posted everyone's grades, the knowledge (or lack there of) of every student is out there for everyone to see.

First, another poster brought up about posting everyone's grades.
Second, I never said that it happens or that it is right. I simply said posting grades would be the same as what's on display in a PE class.

Now, if you don't want other kids to know Jimmy isn't a good athlete, then you would have to keep him out of PE class. And you think that's "right"?

As far as the definition of PE, it's "Physical Education". In my mind, that would entail teaching kids how to be physically active. That could be team sports (basketball, soccer, baseball, etc), pairs (ping pong), or individual (weight lifting, running). I don't think you can just tell kids "go do what you want". When I took PE, we'd do a week or so on various activities. So a week of basketball, a week of baseball, etc, etc. So what does PE mean to you?

Honestly I think it should be about activities besides team sports. Jr high for me was a mess anyway but in high school we did different things.

We spent a couple of weeks or more on a trampoline. We played something called “deck tennis” which was kind of like volleyball with a donut shaped thing instead of a ball—it was a lot of fun and honestly didn’t take the same skill level of volleyball. We did do flag football. She planned that for the week of homecoming so every day that week we were all dressed in some weird way for homecoming week and were able to make a huge joke about the whole thing. We learned archery. Other than flag football and deck tennis we didn’t do team sports. We ran a trail around campus, or jogged or walked. We simply learned to be active.

When the elementary/middle school finally got someone who was interested in teaching PE (about dd’s 7th grade year), they did similar to what we did in high school. They even spent several classes learning line dances. It was about being active. And then she was done because they didn’t require PE after 7the grade year and Show Choir gave her a PE credit in high school.

But those are what I think PE should be. There is no reason to do a lot of team sports.

Honey didn't your parents tell you that you will be fine. Seriously have you talked to anyone about not maintaining a healthy life? Gym class did not do this to you.
Wow, there is nothing like someone resurrecting a nine year old post in order to throw insults. The evidence is overwhelming. I stand by my original post front nine years ago:

With the epidemic child and adult obesity problems that we have in this country, I think required PE programs in schools should focus on finding activites that encourage movement and skill development. You can just look around you to see how the existing programs have failed us. Sure, diet and the home play a huge part in weight problems. But wouldn't it be better if schools actually taught skills that could be used instead of teaching that you deserve to be humiliated because you just aren't as good.

You are mistaken if you think the methods used in PE courses are doing anything to make us healthier. Weight and obesity were a problem nine years ago and are an even worse problem in 2019. Gym classes are not the only problem but they aren’t helping

Wow, there is nothing like someone resurrecting a nine year old post in order to throw insults. The evidence is overwhelming. I stand by my original post front nine years ago:

With the epidemic child and adult obesity problems that we have in this country, I think required PE programs in schools should focus on finding activites that encourage movement and skill development. You can just look around you to see how the existing programs have failed us. Sure, diet and the home play a huge part in weight problems. But wouldn't it be better if schools actually taught skills that could be used instead of teaching that you deserve to be humiliated because you just aren't as good.

You are mistaken if you think the methods used in PE courses are doing anything to make us healthier. Weight and obesity were a problem nine years ago and are an even worse problem in 2019. Gym classes are not the only problem but they aren’t helping
With the exception of football, I think every sport (whether team or individual) we used to play in PE is available to me to play if I really wanted to. I think it's a good idea to show a wide range of sports. You never know what might jog someone's interest and they become a lifelong aficionado.

I thought this practice was outdated, but apparently it is not. My dd13 said that in her gym the teacher picks 4 team captains and they call out who they want one by one. It seems really unfair to the unathletic or unpopular kids who are the last ones picked. If a science teacher wanted to have a game where the kids would have to answer science questions by teams, and he let them pick their teams out this way, the school would be mad. It would be "unfair" to the kids with lower academic ability. And, yes, the kids always know who they are. I didn't even think schools were allowed to do this anymore. What are your thoughts? I am thinking about discussing this with the guidance counselor when I see her next month.
I don't think it's a big deal, nor do I think doing it in a Science, Math, Reading class is a big deal either. I think helping kids learn how to navigate and deal with real life is important. - There's always going to be things that others are naturally better at than me and things that I may be naturally better at. I think what's way more important is teaching kids how to be respectful of those differences.

Just for frame or reference I have 3 kids 4 years - 17 and am a school counselor.

Team building... by middle schoolers picking teams in mandatory PE???
That is some major grasping for straws.
Bwahhhh-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!!!!
Hahahahahaha!!!!!!
:rotfl2:

Still.... absolutely no justification for kids picking teams.
That is the actual topic here, right? PE, as compared to optional signing up for sports teams, is just a huge underlying factor.
BUT, hey... good try, again. Have at it!!!

I have a lot still to do around here, so. I am outa-here.
You guys can continue to attempt to justify.
:cool1:

Hey, if it makes you feel better to get so upset over opinions that you don't agree with, that's cool. Hope you're more relaxed after your vent(s). To me, this is simply a discussion that may have more than one viewpoint. You might be wise to take your own advice given in that last paragraph above.

However, your opinion is just that...an opinion. Remember, the same middle school kids who play those "optional" competitive sports attend PE class. If it's your opinion that those kids, or any other kids, don't feel any competitive spirit simply because it's mandatory PE at school, I would disagree. Competition is part of nature, humans display it rather early on. Ever see a couple of 3 year olds on a tricycle race? How about 5 year olds saying "I'll race you to the mailbox".

I'm sure like most here, I've experienced and seen with my own kids the entire spectrum of this....from first pick to last. It has its' ups and downs, but as a whole I completely support picking teams and would be actively in disagreement if our schools chose to change it.

Last edited:

To, the bolded part is the key. I would completely disagree that PE class has any significant role with obesity in children. I would argue that the role it plays is very minor...at worst, and probably none at all. Americans are obese because of food choices and lack of physical activity (outside of the 45 minute PE class at school). Schools don't "teach" that you should be humiliated because you aren't good at sports. In our schools, PE doesn't involve picking teams daily, they do a variety of things? Out of curiosity, what would you propose PE look like?

With the exception of football, I think every sport (whether team or individual) we used to play in PE is available to me to play if I really wanted to. I think it's a good idea to show a wide range of sports. You never know what might jog someone's interest and they become a lifelong aficionado.

Now this I do agree with. I would still play deck tennis if I knew where to get the little doughnut thingy. It was fun and it would be something the whole family could play, even the grandkids, together.

Archery, I can still do a little and was able to help Dd with. The trampoline, not so much but I did learn enough safety to keep the kids safe on their’s.

Team sports are not a bad thing in general. But I don’t think any are really good for fitness. I mean a kid isn’t going to lose weight or get fit playing baseball unless it gives them intiative to do other workouts to get in shape FOR baseball.

Now this I do agree with. I would still play deck tennis if I knew where to get the little doughnut thingy. It was fun and it would be something the whole family could play, even the grandkids, together.

Archery, I can still do a little and was able to help Dd with. The trampoline, not so much but I did learn enough safety to keep the kids safe on their’s.

Team sports are not a bad thing in general. But I don’t think any are really good for fitness. I mean a kid isn’t going to lose weight or get fit playing baseball unless it gives them intiative to do other workouts to get in shape FOR baseball.
There are several that are good for fitness. Soccer and football for instance. My kids certainly got fit playing those sports.

There are several that are good for fitness. Soccer and football for instance. My kids certainly got fit playing those sports.

Soccer I agree with, football not so much.

Football requires some of the players to be big. And some of these guys aren’t just naturally big. It tends to encourage them to gain weight. They rarely run enough at one time to actually do anything fitness wise. Both of mine played football. The best exercise they honestly got was running on the track after practice because they wanted to for theirbother sports—soccer and baseball.

I have seen so many out of shape kids be encouraged to join a sport to “lose weight” or get fit. Practice a few times a week and part of that not being active, plus a game just isn’t going to do it.

Football requires some of the players to be big. And some of these guys aren’t just naturally big. It tends to encourage them to gain weight. They rarely run enough at one time to actually do anything fitness wise. Both of mine played football. The best exercise they honestly got was running on the track after practice because they wanted to for theirbother sports—soccer and baseball.

I have seen so many out of shape kids be encouraged to join a sport to “lose weight” or get fit. Practice a few times a week and part of that not being active, plus a game just isn’t going to do it.

Flag football is a great sport and size is not an advantage.

True. I was talking more of the team sports not PE. Flag football or even a throw together football game on the front lawn can be great.
Flag is the only football my kids ever played (on leagues at the YMCA). Very fun sport.

In high school my kids played soccer, basketball and ran track and XC. They were definitely in shape, and practices were 6 days a week, plus games, and all practices had running components. Training for fall sports starts a month before school starts, 6 days a week plus some double days, to make up for 6 weeks of slacking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter