What do you think of cheerleaders?

Should cheerleading be considered a sport? Do you think they are mean and snobby? Are they spoiled? Have you ever visited Disney World during a cheerleading competition?

Not a sport. I was never a fan of cheerleading (cheerleaders) and VERY glad that my daughter had no interest in that- the cheerleaders when I went to school were all the mean stuck up girls that only dated the football player so that left an impression.

My daughter was a cheerleader back in the '90's, they did some mounts/lifts but not as much as some squads do. And they were not involved in any competitions like some squads are today. The competitive squads are quite athletic, so yes, I think it is a sport.

As for snobby, some are, some aren't. Spoiled? Some are, some aren't.

I was at WDW one time when cheerleaders were there, saw groups of them in the parks but never had a problem with them. The only time they were slightly annoying was when they would practice their cheers in the courtyard at our resort (Port Orleans Riverside), but it was early evening and they didn't do it for very long so really can't complain that much about it.

They were not nearly as annoying as some of the foreign tour groups are, that's for sure.

Not a sport. I was never a fan of cheerleading (cheerleaders) and VERY glad that my daughter had no interest in that- the cheerleaders when I went to school were all the mean stuck up girls that only dated the football player so that left an impression.

What happened to them after High School? Are they happy?

Last edited:
Should cheerleading be considered a sport?

Just words leading the crowd at a game - no, but dance/gymnastic routines competing against other squads - definitely.

Do you think they are mean and snobby?

I'm sure some are and some aren't. The stereotype that they are the "click-y" girls who won't let others in has probably been true in some places, so it got picked up in movies, etc. But I'm sure it's not true everywhere.

Are they spoiled?

Again, I'm sure some are and some aren't. But I doubt it's specifically because of cheerleading.

Have you ever visited Disney World during a cheerleading competition?

No. I try to avoid the big teen/tween events because I am not a night owl. Too much chaos and noise in the hotel in the evenings would bother me.

Should cheerleading be considered a sport?
Sure, why not? It is an artistic sport that is judged, like figure skating or gymnastics.

Do you think they are mean and snobby?
I certainly don't think they all are, but did I know any in high school who were nice to me? Not really. They generally ignored me completely, though I know some of them dated guys who were the ones giving others a hard time, so I see that aspect. I flew under the radar most of the time. The captain of the team was in a lot of classes with me and she struck me as perfectly nice. She also dated a guy who was kind of a "Zach Morris" type who was like a cool kid but not an athlete or a bully. I dunno, that's just my experience.

Are they spoiled?
It didn't seem like they were all from the same backgrounds. Then again, at my public high school, there were few kids I would call spoiled in that sense. It was pretty solidly middle class.

Have you ever visited Disney World during a cheerleading competition?
I assume so since I saw some cheer teams doing routines and such. It didn't bother me any and there were no issues at the resort or anything.

Yes I think it is a sport. For me it's a lot like gymnastics. In DD's gymnastics studio they also have cheerleading and you have to be "moved up" from gymnastics in order to do their competitive cheerleading.

No I don't cheerleaders in general are mean or snobby. Some people are just mean and snobby and some of those people happen to be cheerleaders. Just like their are mean and snobby doctors or lawyers.

No I don't think cheerleaders in general are spoiled. Some people are just spoiled and they play all kinds of sports.

No I've never visited WDW during cheer competitions but I believe in March 2009 there was something going on and there were a lot of giddy hyper loud girls at one of the value bus stops. You could tell they were in a group and I'm thinking cheerleading. Eh it didn't bother me. They're kids having fun. They weren't hurting anyone, causing trouble, defacing property, etc.

The UCA hosts its international all star cheer championship in March. USASF Worlds happen in April.

I have been to Disney while there was something going on with cheerleaders.

Lucky for us, they only rode the bus with us once. But if I never, ever rode a bus with a group of cheerleaders again, it would be too soon.

We listened to them screaming their cheers the entire ride. Thanks, but next time, if it ever happens again, my husband won't give up his seat for them. Since that meant that one was seated right next to me.

Is it a sport? No, I don't think so, but it's definitely an athletic competition. Some of the things those girls do takes amazing skill...and flexibility that would send me to the hospital if I tried it.

Exactly. The rest depends on the individuals on the team. Cheerleaders in my high school days (1971 to 1975) were usually the girlfriends of some of the football players. Not the huge deal it seems to be these days.

What happened to them after High School? Are they happy?

LOL, that isn't what you originally asked ;)

The women I know who were cheerleaders in HS are very happy, and the answer to your question before you edited is no.

Are you a cheerleader? Are you worried about how people view you?

Should cheerleading be considered a sport? Do you think they are mean and snobby? Are they spoiled? Have you ever visited Disney World during a cheerleading competition?

Yes.
No
No
Yes
10 yrs ago my opinion would be different but having a competitive cheerleader in the family has changed my mind.

My DD16 is a Cheerleader. She has been cheering sideline and competitive since Elementary school. She is now a member of her HS's Varsity Squad and a part of a Post HS Season Level 4 All Star team. Her HS Cheer is basically a 3 season sport plus they practice through out the summer and attend an away camp. They work their butts off with tumbling, stunts and their competition routines. Practices 5-6 days a week plus extra tumbling and stunting practices in the evening. According to our Athletic trainer at our HS, cheerleaders are number 2 (right below football players for injury and concussions). If you met my daughter you would assume she's a snob but in reality she is painfully shy and somewhat introverted. Out on the mats, though she is enthusiastic, loud and a joy to watch. I'm still in awe at times watching her multiple jumps and tumbling passes.

The definition of what is a "sport" is interpreted different by everyone. To me, cheerleading doesn't really fit my own definition of sport. But like I said before, there is zero question it take serious athletic ability, especially at the higher level. Even at youth, I'm amazed. When they're 6, 7, 8 years old, no it doesn't really take any skill to be a cheerleader. They just stand on the ground, dance around a little and chant...they're so cute. But by time they're a bit older, they're doing some pretty athletic things...at least the ones who have that ability.

With both of my boys playing football, and me doing a ton of stadium announcing for all youth football grades, I've seen a ton of cheerleaders. I have to call out all their names (now THAT is a challenge), play their music, etc... At the 5th grade level (10 years old), they're doing lifts, tumbling routines and things like that. Very impressive and very skillful. I also get the pleasure of dealing with the cheer coaches. Sigh... :sad2:

Cheerleading can be a sport but isn't always. I think it depends on how the cheerleaders are chosen, how they perform and whether they compete. At the junior high and high school I went to it was pretty much a popularity contest. Sure they could all do the cheers but only the pretty, popular girls were on the squad.

At the school my kids go to (k-8) anyone can be on the squad so it's not considered a big deal. DS6 has asked why there are no boy cheerleaders. I've told him he should ask the coach but that I suspected that it's because no boys had asked to be on the squad before. He's said before that he wants to be on the squad (He likes gymnastics and his hip hop dance class) but I'm hoping he doesn't pursue it because I don't have time to add cheerleading to our schedule.

Yes, cheerleading is a sport. The majority of people do not see what goes on in practice, they only see the girls in cute tight uniforms standing on the sidelines of football games and assume this is all they do.

And before I go further, I just want to make sure I am clear - it is up to the coach/athletes as to whether the girls are snotty, mean, etc. We do not allow this type of behavior on our teams. We had a small group of girls this year that thought they could behave like this, but we ended that very quickly. Every girl on our team is important and we do everything we can to make sure every girl has a moment to shine in our routines. And since the most "popular" girls at DD's school don't cheer, I've seen worse behavior from volleyball/softball/basketball/soccer girls, not to mention those horrible sing-songy chants the softball girls scream from the dugout and terrible bows they wear in my neck of the woods. lol

I am the VP of Cheer Operations and coach competitive cheer for a rec football and cheer league. I was never a cheerleader, but was always fascinated by the way they just seemed to "know" what to do. I never realized how much time and effort goes into a 3 minute routine! DS17 started playing football when he was about 7, and we would stay at practice (all the parents did in that particular league as it was out in the country in the middle of literally nowhere, and took 30 min to get there, 30 min back so it was just easier to stay and hang out). DD would watch the cheerleaders practice and when she was old enough she decided to join so that she would have something to do while we were there. She is now in 8th grade and this is her last season in youth cheer. She took gymnastics off and on over the years, but was never comfortable flipping herself over, so she never really progressed past a back walkover. However, she is an AMAZING backspot and her stunt group can do advanced stunts that we showcase in our competition routines, her jumps are technically beautiful, and she has a confident voice that can project!

We practice 6 hours a week, and sideline cheer at a game on the weekends. We also do 2-4 competitions per season and can advance to our state competition for the organization we belong to if we do well.

At a 2-3 hour typical practice, we do the following:

warm up and stretching
conditioning
running/laps
work on tumbling - the handsprings, flip flops etc. Standing and running tumbling for the routine, spacing and counts so each girl knows when to go
work on stunts - stunts are what you see when you have 3 girls putting one girl up in the air. The bases need to be strong enough to hold the flier up and the flier needs to be strong enough to hold herself up. The backspot leads the group in the counts, anchors the group, makes sure the flier feels secure, and makes sure the flier never hits the ground.
work on jumps - jumps need to be technically perfect, tight, and clean
Pyramid - every single girl is needed. Basically the pyramid is individual stunt groups working in sync with each other so they can link up (hitch) and do whatever they need to do before coming down clean and precisely. Nobody in on hands and knees while other girls climb on anyone's back. This isn't the 50's!
Cheer - this is the verbal part of the routine. Everyone must be in sync and precise. They must know where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to be doing, where to go next, etc
Dance - the dance part of the routine. Same as above, but no verbal words
cool down conditioning

Everything has be to blocked and spaced out. The girls practice each element over and over until it is perfect. They spend a lot of time either holding themselves up in the air or putting their flier up in the air. Unlike any other sport, if one girl skips practice, then 3 other girls cannot practice their stunt either, and the whole team cannot practice pyramid. We need EVERY girl there, EVERY practice, so there is a HUGE commitment level that needs to be met.

There are different elements to the stunts that take concentration and precision. Their shoulders and arms take a beating - my DD13 has bruises all up and down right now her arms from catching her flier over and over. She has been kicked in the face more times than she can count and has had fliers fall right on top of her while she is trying to keep them from hitting the ground! Bloody noses, black eyes, mouths cut from braces being hit, scratches from nails that weren't cut properly, and bruises are so common that we are all first aid gurus lol The bases have constantly bruised shoulders because the flier pushes off their shoulders when going up in the stunt. Their wrists ache all the time from holding the flier, and their arms are all bruised from catching her. The flier has to be super tight in the air - knees locked at all times and core perfectly aligned so she doesn't lose her balance - like staying in a yoga pose over and over for 3 hours. They fall a LOT in practice as they are learning new stunts and of course get hurt, but they go right back up and try it again over and over until they get it right.

The dance and cheer part is basically a hip hop dance class. The music is very fast and the girls have a lot of moving parts to manage. They don't just worry about themselves, they worry about where everyone else is too because when they have to move, they have to know exactly where another girl is moving so they don't run into each other. They are supposed to be facing front at ALL TIMES so if they need to move to the back of the mat, they need to walk backward and look good doing it. They have to trust that the girl coming toward her is watching to make sure they don't collide. They need to stay tight and move with precision. And stay smiling at all times!

We are not crazy-expensive, this-is-my-life All-Star cheerleaders in our league. Our league is a rec competitive league, which means we don't hold tryouts - anyone can cheer with us and it is up to us to work with the ability levels of each girls to give them the best shot to win. However, the process is the same - the girls have to be very in-shape and ready to work HARD. They are sweaty and hair is messy and their bodies ache and hurt and they are tired and ready to drop by the time practice is over. We ask them to do it "one more time" and to push through until they can barely get their flyer into the air anymore. My DD comes home with badly aching legs and arms after every practice and she is exhausted. A lot of girls quit after one season because it was not what they expected. They came thinking the same as most people - I'll learn a few sideline cheers, dance around a little, and look cute in my uniform. It's a rude awakening that they actually have to work hard, get sweaty, ache at the end of every practice, and get told by people who have no clue that what they are doing is not a sport.

All for a 3-minute routine where they wear a cute little uniform, a perfect ponytail with no fly-a-ways and bow straight, clean white shoes (that can ONLY be worn for competition - they have nasty, dirty, sweaty, smelly practice shoes they wear daily!) and a smile on their face. Our girls make it look easy and effortless because that is what they are SUPPOSED to do. That is what they work so hard for - the literal blood sweat and tears that goes into a perfect routine is unimaginable to most people who don't know the sport.

Oh...and sideline cheers? We don't even practice those but maybe a few times the first month of practice in August. Most cheerleaders hate sideline cheering. It is boring, usually either really hot or really cold, and they just have to stand there until it is time to do a cheer. It is HARD for these ATHLETES to just stand there doing nothing on the sidelines!

*This* is the easiest thing we do - a basic prep stunt (not my team - just got this off the internet). Our girls can do much, much more than this. It looks easy, but even this takes a LOT of time and practice to master when the girls are young and just learning.

[GALLERY=]
22279723_10210500174917206_199885588253852274_n.jpg
[/GALLERY]

Last edited:
The definition of what is a "sport" is interpreted different by everyone. To me, cheerleading doesn't really fit my own definition of sport. But like I said before, there is zero question it take serious athletic ability, especially at the higher level. Even at youth, I'm amazed. When they're 6, 7, 8 years old, no it doesn't really take any skill to be a cheerleader. They just stand on the ground, dance around a little and chant...they're so cute. But by time they're a bit older, they're doing some pretty athletic things...at least the ones who have that ability.

With both of my boys playing football, and me doing a ton of stadium announcing for all youth football grades, I've seen a ton of cheerleaders. I have to call out all their names (now THAT is a challenge), play their music, etc... At the 5th grade level (10 years old), they're doing lifts, tumbling routines and things like that. Very impressive and very skillful. I also get the pleasure of dealing with the cheer coaches. Sigh... :sad2:

Not all of us suck! lol And football coaches are not always gems to work with either haha

And of course the sport gets harder as they get older. I've been around the youth football and cheer world for a decade and trust me...just like gymnastics, gaining a skill in cheer is a progression that takes time and strength and needs muscles to be built up on those little 7 year old arms....and is not visible to the public for a long time, but that doesn't mean the 6 year old girls aren't working hard at mastering them in practice. What we show to the public is a "finished" piece based on the level the girls have mastered and what the physical development of their bodies limit them too. Behind the scenes, they are working on mastering the next level, and the next, and the next until it's perfect. THEN they show the public - which is what you see at halftime or a gymnastics meet or a cheer competition.

Tiny-level 6 year old football players are doing the same thing....bouncing into each other instead of "real" tackling, breakaway runs for a 70 yard touchdown while the defense half-heartedly chases them instead of pounding it down the field with controlled plays...etc. I know for a fact that in practice they are working on learning plays, conditioning, learning to breathe with a mouthguard in, running laps, sprints, blocking drills, tackling drills, and yet still, this doesn't show up on the field on gameday at that age. It mostly looks like cute chaos.

All kids' sports are a work in progress and don't really come together until they are about 8-10 years old! It's not just isolated to cheer and it doesn't mean those little 6 year old cheerleaders aren't working hard in practice and doing as much as they can for their age/skill level!

Last edited:
Not all of us suck! lol And football coaches are not always gems to work with either haha

And of course the sport gets harder as they get older. I've been around the youth football and cheer world for a decade and trust me...just like gymnastics, gaining a skill in cheer is a progression that takes time and strength and needs muscles to be built up on those little 7 year old arms....and is not visible to the public for a long time, but that doesn't mean the 6 year old girls aren't working hard at mastering them in practice. What we show to the public is a "finished" piece based on the level the girls have mastered and what the physical development of their bodies limit them too. Behind the scenes, they are working on mastering the next level, and the next, and the next until it's perfect. THEN they show the public - which is what you see at halftime or a gymnastics meet or a cheer competition.

Tiny-level 6 year old football players are doing the same thing....bouncing into each other instead of "real" tackling, breakaway runs for a 70 yard touchdown while the defense half-heartedly chases them instead of pounding it down the field with controlled plays...etc. I know for a fact that in practice they are working on learning plays, conditioning, learning to breathe with a mouthguard in, running laps, sprints, blocking drills, tackling drills, and yet still, this doesn't show up on the field on gameday at that age. It mostly looks like cute chaos.

All kids' sports are a work in progress and don't really come together until they are about 8-10 years old! It's not just isolated to cheer and it doesn't mean those little 6 year old cheerleaders aren't working hard in practice and doing as much as they can for their age/skill level!

Yep, spot on. I agree with every bit of that. DD10 did cheer when she was in 2nd grade. Like you said, at that age, they're very limited what they can do. And sure, they did a lot of practice.

Football at the 6 and 7 year old level is a hoot to watch. Makes me smile every time. It doesn't just look like cute chaos, it is cute chaos. :D Like you said, the kids are really more bouncing off each other than actually tackling...the ones who actually can tackle at that age are superstars. And watching them "run" down the field on a 70 yard touchdown is a riot. That's not a put down whatsoever, I think it's spectacular, it's just one of those things that make you smile and laugh. They're so cute.

And no doubt, there are some football coaches who shouldn't be coaching their dogs how to sit, let alone kids trying to play football. Most are wonderful, but not all.

A lot to unpack here.

I like the concept of cheerleading, especially when they, you know, lead cheers. I'm not a particularly big fan of putting underage girls in skin-tight clothes to parade themselves about, but the majority of those young ladies chose to be cheerleaders, so oble-dee, oble-da, as the Beatles say.

While the perception that cheerleaders can be snobby probably holds true for some, I note that few people in high school were even remotely decent to me. One of them was a cheerleader!

As far as I'm aware, I've never been to WDW during a cheerleading event.

Cheerleading isn't a thing here. No school has a cheerleading squad. I do think that cheerleaders are athletes in their own right. Having never met one I can't form an opinion as to if they are snobby or not.

I'm a single adult so why in the world would cheerleading ever cross my mind? I literally never think about it.

But, I DO certainly think it takes an amazing about of athleticism. The stunts they do are amazing! I did it in middle school, mostly because I was younger and smaller and my folks had me in gymnastics. The kids who loved gymnastics could be so incredible! I had no interest in football and no interest in cheering, but my parents wanted me to be well rounded (they eventually realized I just really hated all that noise). When I went to highschool, I had too much to do and had to really focus on what I loved - debate, mock trial, quiz bowl, music, swimming, art/writing lessons at the local university, being in a band (and the band for a bit). It was still far too much.

I have seen large groups at wdw, that I could posit are cheerleaders, but I've never stayed in a hotel which hosted them or other large groups.

I would put it more in the dance category, rather than a sport. I think it's a fine activity for those who are interested. The one thing I'd change are the bows. Please, lose the bows. I was a JV and Varsity cheerleader and we didn't have bows. I don't understand how they came about and why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter