What do you think of the "drinking" t-shirts that people wear at Epcot?

On our adults only trip last year to Food & Wine, my husband designed shirts for the four of us. They were fun, and yes they had drinking-related quotes on the back, nothing offensive or rude but definitely related to the activities at hand :) We got lots of compliments on them, but they were for us more than anyone else and added to the fun of the weekend. If someone is that worried about inspecting the words on other guests' shirts, they're probably at Disney for the wrong reasons. If it's not directly harmful, don't yuck on someone else's yum :)

No one cool is wearing a matching t-shirt with a "funny" slogan while getting drunk. Whenever I see shirts like this, my first thought is "Isn't that kind of tacky?" which is closely followed by "Wow. That's embarrassing for you."

Of course, if people are well behaved, who cares? It's a free country. But so often that's not the case when it comes to groups drinking at Epcot.

For the record, I don't have children, and I see nothing wrong with having an adults area in one of the parks at a certain time. But based on my observations of the groups of adults wearing these shirts at Epcot, they're not people I'd want to spend any time with.

When I went to Food and Wine on a Saturday night in 2017 it felt like being trapped in a heterosexual bachelorette party nightmare.

I can see multiple sides to this issue. I do not have a strong feeling one way or the other, except for the extreme of something being blatantly profane, vulgar, or tasteless.

I am ignorant about the copyright laws and have a question. I thought Disney was extremely protective and had people actively looking for use of their characters without their permission. For example, I have heard stories about Disney telling a school group that they can not use Mickey's likeness. If people are not selling the shirts but using the image, does Disney have any legal right to have the shirts removed (from a copyright standpoint, obviously Disney can remove anyone from their property for a number of reasons)?

Again, I know that would be extremely difficult to enforce and may backfire on them - especially since there are thousands of people every day wearing family vacation shirts with Mickey, Buzz, etc... But you would think that Disney could step-in and have the shirts removed or covered-up if they thought the characters were being used inappropriately. I know they try to enforce this type of thing with adults wearing character costumes in the parks.

I am not suggesting they do this, I just am wondering about the policy.
There may/likely be some sort of clause about the usage of them where the shirts don't violate the terms. I'm trying to think of the terminology but it's alluding me right now.

I think it may be safe to say if Disney actually had a problem with them they would ban them. They have no issues going after Etsy and the like people so they would go after the people in their park if it was a copyright infringement issue. Also I think the fact that people are wearing them not selling them (which would be a commercial venture) may also be part of the equation.

No one cool is wearing a matching t-shirt with a "funny" slogan while getting drunk. Whenever I see shirts like this, my first thought is "Isn't that kind of tacky?" which is closely followed by "Wow. That's embarrassing for you."

Of course, if people are well behaved, who cares? It's a free country. But so often that's not the case when it comes to groups drinking at Epcot.

For the record, I don't have children, and I see nothing wrong with having an adults area in one of the parks at a certain time. But based on my observations of the groups of adults wearing these shirts at Epcot, they're not people I'd want to spend any time with.

When I went to Food and Wine on a Saturday night in 2017 it felt like being trapped in a heterosexual bachelorette party nightmare.
wow.

Good grief! Some of you must be a blast at parties! :drinking1

Who cares? I don't care what you wear, you shouldn't care what I wear. Reminds me of a stay we had at the Grand Floridian when a group/family all dressed alike turned their noses down, and even commented out loud at what my teen son and his friend were wearing.... basketball shorts and t-shirts. I assume everyone should have been dressed in khaki shorts and polo shirts with boat shoes, like them. Some of the replies here, remind me of those folks.

Anyway, speaking of what Walt would want, how do you think he would feel about banning smoking in the parks? He was a smoker (look into the reason why CM use two fingers when directing guests) so I'm sure he wanted to allow smoking. Lets not pretend his visions would still apply today. Times change as do people. Disney is a business and is run like one. They will target as many audiences as they can, in an effort to make a profit. I would think there are bigger, more important things to be worried about, other than t shirts.
CM's use two fingers to point, because in some cultures, using one finger is rude.

I'm honestly not trying to be a terrible/mean person. I think a lot of people have these opinions but aren't willing to be so forthcoming about them.

To me, it's the equivalent of the horrible annual SantaCon event. Except it's more than once a year and it's running through one of my favorite theme parks. It's like going out on New Year's Eve. It's amateur hour.

I'd prefer to drink just as much without a matching t-shirt and not be super obnoxious to everyone around me about it. Better yet, do so somewhere where the alcohol is cheaper...

LOL don't worry, we wouldn't want you hanging with us anyway :)

This is not something that would concern me. When I took my step son two years ago, we weren't people watching. We were too busy checking out all the amazing things to do, and when we weren't DOING the things, he was searching for hidden mickeys.

Of course, I have grown up around drinking culture and am very familiar with drinking teams, even though I myself have never been much of a drinker. One of my favourite summer activities is going to the highland games in our area, and there are two types of people who frequent: those there for the games and those there for the epic party in the beer tent. I remember one team with a very raunchy slogan related to bagpipes. They were having fun, I was not offended, and they had a babysitter making sure they weren't misbehaving. All in good fun.

I'm honestly not trying to be a terrible/mean person. I think a lot of people have these opinions but aren't willing to be so forthcoming about them.

To me, it's the equivalent of the horrible annual SantaCon event. Except it's more than once a year and it's running through one of my favorite theme parks. It's like going out on New Year's Eve. It's amateur hour.

I'd prefer to drink just as much without a matching t-shirt and not be super obnoxious to everyone around me about it. Better yet, do so somewhere where the alcohol is cheaper...
Again wow. You have strong opinions about what others do. God forbid it offends you. Just stay away from Disney least my matching T-shirts cross your cold dead eyes. Bye now.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boozed.... I LOVE 💕 that! I didn’t think I’d EVER wear a drinking shirt 👕

but I think that’s damn funny! I’d definitely be tempted to wear that one... but ONLY if it’s spelled correctly!

CM's use two fingers to point, because in some cultures, using one finger is rude.

I was told, by a CM, it was part of their training because back in the day, Walt had a cigarette in his hand (almost always), so when he would point, that's how he would do it. Sounded legit to me.

That's called a confirmation bias along with correlation does not equal causation.

To be fair I think people use these things above when it comes to matching shirts or people in large groups in general. For some it's just matching shirts or shirts with sayings period but there are def. people who fall under the category that alcohol is actually the issue and the shirts are just something to use as a confirmation of preconceived notions of people and alcohol.

As for your last sentence don't have a clue what to say to that lol

Again wow. You have strong opinions about what others do. God forbid it offends you. Just stay away from Disney least my matching T-shirts cross your cold dead eyes. Bye now.

There's a difference between having an opinion and being offended. You seem to be confusing the two. I'm not offended. That would be silly. But expecting me not to have an opinion, and not to share that opinion on a message board specifically asking for it, seems a bit unreasonable.

I recognize that when I go to Epcot I'm in Disney's space. They set the rules of what people are allowed to wear/how they are allowed to behave/whatever. If they really cared this issue they would ban the shirts. Or do something like scan people's MagicBands so they can only buy so many alcoholic drinks in one evening.

Anyway, I'd never let someone else's actions impact my enjoyment of the park. I expect others to do the same. I just would like to see more common courtesy and less entitlement for how people approach each other in the parks. :)

That's called a confirmation bias along with correlation does not equal causation.

To be fair I think people use these things above when it comes to matching shirts or people in large groups in general. For some it's just matching shirts or shirts with sayings period but there are def. people who fall under the category that alcohol is actually the issue and the shirts are just something to use as a confirmation of preconceived notions of people and alcohol.

As for your last sentence don't have a clue what to say to that lol

This is an excellent point and the last post I'll make in this thread. You've done a better job explaining my thoughts than I did.

It's not the people wearing the shirts that are the problem. Most people are good apples.

It's that the shirts themselves contribute to a culture of drinking. The idea that getting trashed at Epcot is a fun/acceptable thing to do. This plays into the mentality of "Oh I'm on vacation" or "The rules don't apply at Disney." Add that to people traveling in large groups through crowds, the entitlement of "I paid a lot for this trip so I deserve to do whatever I want," and the fact that Disney makes alcohol so easily available in every country, and it's no surprise the few bad apples so often rise to the surface.

Shirts with drunk characters on them are pretty inappropriate given how many kids are present. Mickey is a role model to many kids (as are the other characters), so it’s a bit harder to explain at that point vs. a shirt that just has a saying about getting sloshed. I can easily explain that some adults drink to excess and think it’s funny (talking about shirts that glorify drunkenness), it’s harder to explain why Minnie Mouse looks trashed.

My son has seen mommy drink a glass of wine, but my husband and I do not get drunk whether he is present or not. And yeah, we will be instilling that value in him and avoiding situations where he would be exposed to drunk people (which would include the World Showcase on a Friday night during Food and Wine).

This is an excellent point and the last post I'll make in this thread. You've done a better job explaining my thoughts than I did.

It's not the people wearing the shirts that are the problem. Most people are good apples.

It's that the shirts themselves contribute to a culture of drinking. The idea that getting trashed at Epcot is a fun/acceptable thing to do. This plays into the mentality of "Oh I'm on vacation" or "The rules don't apply at Disney." Add that to people traveling in large groups through crowds, the entitlement of "I paid a lot for this trip so I deserve to do whatever I want," and the fact that Disney makes alcohol so easily available in every country, and it's no surprise the few bad apples so often rise to the surface.
Again confirmation bias coming on here. Ain't nothing I say is going to change just pointing it out. Your issue is alcohol. You cannot ascertain that the shirts actually contribute anything just as I can't ascertain that X family vacation shirts contributes to undesireable behaviors; it's your perception at work there.

In any case I was attempting to make the point that alcohol is your sticking point; shirts or no shirts I suspect it will be an issue period that alcohol is even readily available within the Parks. You've since showcased that point with your above comments :) (no offense meant here at all though :) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter