What do you think of the "drinking" t-shirts that people wear at Epcot?

Again confirmation bias coming on here. Ain't nothing I say is going to change just pointing it out. Your issue is alcohol. You cannot ascertain that the shirts actually contribute anything just as I can't ascertain that X family vacation shirts contributes to undesireable behaviors; it's your perception at work there.

In any case I was attempting to make the point that alcohol is your sticking point; shirts or no shirts I suspect it will be an issue period that alcohol is even readily available within the Parks. You've since showcased that point with your above comments :) (no offense meant here at all though :) )
Idk the pp’s take, but my issue is it’s trashy behavior made even worse by trashy t-shirts that announce the behavior. But, I blame Disney b/c I think there is a time & a place for such, but Disney has encouraged Epcot to be one of those places in order to attract even more ppl in their targeted demographic. I would think it was less trashy (but still cheesy) for ppl to have matching drinking shirts for a night on Bourbon St, but I go to WDW b/c it’s not Bourbon St.

Shirts with drunk characters on them are pretty inappropriate given how many kids are present. Mickey is a role model to many kids (as are the other characters), so it’s a bit harder to explain at that point vs. a shirt that just has a saying about getting sloshed. I can easily explain that some adults drink to excess and think it’s funny (talking about shirts that glorify drunkenness), it’s harder to explain why Minnie Mouse looks trashed.
I'm curious how you explain Buzz Lightyear's antics after he drinks too much "tea" in Toy Story.

A group of loud and kind of obnoxious drunks are what inspired my family to drink around the world in the first place. They were clearly having an awesome time and we had fun with them in the Rose and Crown. Their shirts said "We ain't leavin' 'til we're heavin'". 😄 This was at least 12 years ago now, as we did our own first drink around the world in '08.

I'm just curious...

If Disney decided that they could make a thing out of 21+ events in World Showcase, would people be for it? Such as, World Showcase was only open to 21+ say, after 7pm one night a week. I think people would still be drinking on other nights and during the day, but it might create a specific atmosphere that would encourage more people to attend at those times?

There's a difference between having an opinion and being offended. You seem to be confusing the two. I'm not offended. That would be silly. But expecting me not to have an opinion, and not to share that opinion on a message board specifically asking for it, seems a bit unreasonable.

I recognize that when I go to Epcot I'm in Disney's space. They set the rules of what people are allowed to wear/how they are allowed to behave/whatever. If they really cared this issue they would ban the shirts. Or do something like scan people's MagicBands so they can only buy so many alcoholic drinks in one evening.

Anyway, I'd never let someone else's actions impact my enjoyment of the park. I expect others to do the same. I just would like to see more common courtesy and less entitlement for how people approach each other in the parks. :)

I wouldn't sweat it. I thought your first post was funny - bachelorette party - ha! I get this all the time with people who don't like what I have to say and take it more personally than it is meant to be. It's just the nature of the Internet.

I'm just curious...

If Disney decided that they could make a thing out of 21+ events in World Showcase, would people be for it? Such as, World Showcase was only open to 21+ say, after 7pm one night a week. I think people would still be drinking on other nights and during the day, but it might create a specific atmosphere that would encourage more people to attend at those times?

Personally? No. Maybe for locals and people who attend frequently, but when we travel we come from a distance, and like to make full days of our visits. There wouldn't be any perks for us the way there are for EMM and DAH events.

I could see something like that appealing to people who would prefer some time at Disney with no kids around, but I don't see Disney creating anything that would specifically exclude kids in an entire section of the park. JMO of course :)

I'm curious how you explain Buzz Lightyear's antics after he drinks too much "tea" in Toy Story.

He hasn’t seen it (except for clips) and I haven’t seen it in years. Disney of course hasn’t been perfect about the adult humor or topics it’s thrown into movies/shows (they had to remove a Toy Story scene recently). I looked up the clip, it seems to be both implying drunkenness and a mental break (neither of which are super appropriate topics for the toddler/elementary crowd, nor very respectful to those suffering from an actual mental illness).

Again wow. You have strong opinions about what others do. God forbid it offends you. Just stay away from Disney least my matching T-shirts cross your cold dead eyes. Bye now.
Oh, knock it off. We all make judgements in our head (and sometimes to people we are with) about what people are wearing, saying, etc every time we are in public. Sometimes, those judgements are discussed on a discussion board.

Idk the pp’s take, but my issue is it’s trashy behavior made even worse by trashy t-shirts that announce the behavior. But, I blame Disney b/c I think there is a time & a place for such, but Disney has encouraged Epcot to be one of those places in order to attract even more ppl in their targeted demographic. I would think it was less trashy (but still cheesy) for ppl to have matching drinking shirts for a night on Bourbon St, but I go to WDW b/c it’s not Bourbon St.
Does anyone want to see people drunk? I doubt it. But a person drinks because they want to drink not because a shirt they are wearing. They may drink while wearing the shirt but the shirt isn't making them drink. If I wore a drinking shirt and yet had nothing to drink that day you'd be incorrectly assuming something about me.

Your point about Disney I agree with and was more or less my viewpoint. If you removed the shirts and yet still saw someone exhibiting annoying drunken sloppy behavior you wouldn't attribute that to a shirt. Disney has alcohol on both coasts. You (general you) would still have issues with that aspect unless you removed all traces of alcohol available and never let anyone in who you suspected even had the hint of pregaming (which I kinda assume they do at least look out for that).

I actually think it's equally trashy (to use your terminology) on Bourbon Street. It's so predictable, so overused IMO there, etc. Not that I don't understand what you're saying. But I don't think it's the shirts actually making the people trashy :) If people want to wear them it's no biggie to me though I think some are eye-rolling worthy/overplayed. I guess I don't take the shirts to heart to mean something and I mean all the shirts like I mentioned previously.

Personally? No. Maybe for locals and people who attend frequently, but when we travel we come from a distance, and like to make full days of our visits. There wouldn't be any perks for us the way there are for EMM and DAH events.

I could see something like that appealing to people who would prefer some time at Disney with no kids around, but I don't see Disney creating anything that would specifically exclude kids in an entire section of the park. JMO of course :)
Plus that would exclude all the ppl with matching shirts pushing their kids in strollers while they drink around the world after 7pm.

I'm just curious...

I honestly think this would be a great idea. The world showcase is generally the least exciting for my step son, and hey even me sometimes, because it's the most "educational" without a lot of exciting things. I go for the shopping, and then I'm good for that part of the park for my entire trip.

I like the idea of having a more adult "party" on occasion. Disney is NOT just for children, and people with children. I generally go without a child.

Does anyone want to see people drunk? I doubt it. But a person drinks because they want to drink not because a shirt they are wearing. They may drink while wearing the shirt but the shirt isn't making them drink. If I wore a drinking shirt and yet had nothing to drink that day you'd be incorrectly assuming something about me.

Your point about Disney I agree with and was more or less my viewpoint. If you removed the shirts and yet still saw someone exhibiting annoying drunken sloppy behavior you wouldn't attribute that to a shirt. Disney has alcohol on both coasts. You (general you) would still have issues with that aspect unless you removed all traces of alcohol available and never let anyone in who you suspected even had the hint of pregaming (which I kinda assume they do at least look out for that).

I actually think it's equally trashy (to use your terminology) on Bourbon Street. It's so predictable, so overused IMO there, etc. Not that I don't understand what you're saying. But I don't think it's the shirts actually making the people trashy :) If people want to wear them it's no biggie to me though I think some are eye-rolling worthy/overplayed. I guess I don't take the shirts to heart to mean something and I mean all the shirts like I mentioned previously.
I agree it’s equally trashy on bourbon street, but it’s where I would expect to see it (and way worse) so I know that going into it if I choose to visit bourbon st.

I honestly think this would be a great idea. The world showcase is generally the least exciting for my step son, and hey even me sometimes, because it's the most "educational" without a lot of exciting things. I go for the shopping, and then I'm good for that part of the park for my entire trip.

I like the idea of having a more adult "party" on occasion. Disney is NOT just for children, and people with children. I generally go without a child.
And, of course, it’s NOT just for adults so I’d take adult only hours if maybe we could trade for families with young kids hours in MK on occasion.

I agree it’s equally trashy on bourbon street, but it’s where I would expect to see it (and way worse) so I know that going into it if I choose to visit bourbon st.
I can agree with that.

I may not expect to specifically see people wearing drinking shirts but if I'm going during Food & Wine (and DCA has a festival too) I'm going to expect to see alcohol more out and about. I wouldn't tell someone to go a different time of year but I would say if you are going into that time (fall for Epcot and early Spring for DCA) you will see more alcohol present. That 'in your face' aspect may be more the issue for some.

I can agree with that.

I may not expect to specifically see people wearing drinking shirts but if I'm going during Food & Wine (and DCA has a festival too) I'm going to expect to see alcohol more out and about. I wouldn't tell someone to go a different time of year but I would say if you are going into that time (fall for Epcot and early Spring for DCA) you will see more alcohol present. That 'in your face' aspect may be more the issue for some.
Right I agree & that’s why I said I blame Disney. They encourage this environment to make more $$$.

And, of course, it’s NOT just for adults so I’d take adult only hours if maybe we could trade for families with young kids hours in MK on occasion.
I have absolutely no issue with that either!!

For example, I am always happy that Disney hosts the Not So Scary halloween party while Universal offers something for people who enjoy extra scary. I like that there's balance.

There may/likely be some sort of clause about the usage of them where the shirts don't violate the terms. I'm trying to think of the terminology but it's alluding me right now.

I think it may be safe to say if Disney actually had a problem with them they would ban them. They have no issues going after Etsy and the like people so they would go after the people in their park if it was a copyright infringement issue. Also I think the fact that people are wearing them not selling them (which would be a commercial venture) may also be part of the equation.

That makes sense - thanks. This leads me to another question - has anyone ever seen anyone stopped or questioned at the gates because of 'inappropriate' clothing? I have not in all my years of going to Disney World. However, I have heard that it is more of an issue at Disneyland.

I've never given them any thought, and upon reading this thread still have no real feelings about them. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter