What do you think school will be like in the fall? UPDATE page 29 for Mass.

Has anyone else proposed motion doors being installed along with plexiglass desk enclosures. The teachers change classrooms vs kids aka most high schools.

what else is needed to add some C19 safety?

Has anyone else proposed motion doors being installed along with plexiglass desk enclosures. The teachers change classrooms vs kids aka most high schools.

How would changing teachers work in high schools where kids have such different schedules and are in classes with different grade levels? I have HS twins and they only have a couple of the same classes.

School is a social construct that has been deemed necessary for millennia throughout multiple diverse cultures. It wasn’t so long ago (in fact is still true some other cultures) that girls weren’t allowed to attend school...

While school is not the only place we learn, public education has been a key element of the US experience. I don’t see much good coming out of a situation that ends in person schooling for the general population.

to expand on my high school idea this students stay in same classroom with same classmates concept yes would limit the variety offering but the core English math science etc would be offered with the teachers changing classrooms through out the day. Thereby students can really only see and talk and be limited to the distance due to the plexiglass to their fellow classmates.

it’s my better than nothing idea

How will ab art class full of say pottery wheels and supplies move? Welding shop? Culinary arts? Auto shop? Cosmetology?
—oh wait....as someone said, get rid of those (Electives ARE required on Texas grad plans)

okay then....

Labs for Biology? Chemistry? Physics? A&P? Computer labs for Elar classes?

How would changing teachers work in high schools where kids have such different schedules and are in classes with different grade levels? I have HS twins and they only have a couple of the same classes.
to expand on my high school idea this students stay in same classroom with same classmates concept yes would limit the variety offering but the core English math science etc would be offered with the teachers changing classrooms through out the day. Thereby students can really only see and talk and be limited to the distance due to the plexiglass to their fellow classmates.

it’s my better than nothing idea

I have seen this thrown around, but like @mjkacmom I don't see how it works with the wide variety of classes, schedules and high school/college requirements. In theory, you keep all the AP kids together; but what if some are only doing AP in one or two classes and not all? What if they're taking different languages? What if some are making up credits from previous years? Again, the theory makes total sense, but I don't know to practically make it work. But if there is real change, yes, these are exactly the ideas that need to be put out there to start from.

But I tend to agree with others that I don't picture big change at the schools.

How will ab art class full of say pottery wheels and supplies move? Welding shop? Culinary arts? Auto shop? Cosmetology?
—oh wait....as someone said, get rid of those (Electives ARE required on Texas grad plans)

okay then....

Labs for Biology? Chemistry? Physics? A&P? Computer labs for Elar classes?
Sacrifices / selection of class need to be made and schools need to pick a common curriculum. Students that are brilliant and are advance AP type level well they may not be able to shine until they can afford to get to a private HS or college or an area AP elite public school.

for labs and specialized equipment classes where the location is the driver of the learning well, block A of students go lab on week 1 for example all day. This will allow the weekend for calm and cleaning before the next block of students come in.

maybe the specialized classes can be offered online as an extra for the students that really want it because based on what I see right now most HS kids a majority % are just doing the requirement because they are forced not because they really need it or want it.

...it’s a new normal, so come up with something that works or well there will not be in person school at any level. Everyday, week, districts are confirming Fall will be online only. While all I see from others is we are still weighing our options and attempting to come up with solutions. yay for them, can’t wait to see what those solutions are

Sacrifices / selection of class need to be made and schools need to pick a common curriculum. Students that are brilliant and are advance AP type level well they may not be able to shine until they can afford to get to a private HS or college or an area AP elite public school.

for labs and specialized equipment classes where the location is the driver of the learning well, block A of students go lab on week 1 for example all day. This will allow the weekend for calm and cleaning before the next block of students come in.

maybe the specialized classes can be offered online as an extra for the students that really want it because based on what I see right now most HS kids a majority % are just doing the requirement because they are forced not because they really need it or want it.

...it’s a new normal, so come up with something that works or well there will not be in person school at any level. Everyday, week, districts are confirming Fall will be online only. While all I see from others is we are still weighing our options and attempting to come up with solutions. yay for them, can’t wait to see what those solutions are

How wrong you are.

Everyday, week, districts are confirming Fall will be online only.

I haven’t seen any information like this yet. I would be really surprised if schools are making a decision in May to be completely online in August or September. Where have you seen where schools have already said that fall will be online only?

Y'all are trying too hard. You know what it's going to take to open the schools? Public officials coming out and admitting they made a mistake. Schools should have never been closed. Here's a challenge; find the data that DOES support closing the schools. It doesn't exist. If you support closing the schools for COVID you'd be better off supporting closing the schools through flu season. FAR more kids WITHOUT pre-existing conditions, that get the flu shot, get seriously ill and yes, die from the flu than will ever die from COVID.

Yeah, you are right. Totally unrealistic. Public officials admitting they made a mistake. It will never happen. What am I thinking?

Our school had a board of directors meeting yesterday and everyone thought they would vote on the new school year calendar. They have a proposed idea, but didn’t want to vote yet.

Currently, Texas has said that as of June 1, in-person summer school can be held.

TEA has provided insight on how schools can adopt an “inter session” based school calendar to provide extended breaks during Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break. It looks like the regular break time + extended time to be used for remediation.

Our school is looking at adjusting to one of the prescribed calendars. We would start beginning of August and get out late June. Before we were mid-August to late-May. Total instructional days would remain the same, it’s the placement of break days....similar to a year round calendar.
There has been no mention of smaller class size, block schedules, etc.

No way I am I ever going to homeschool, this distance learning pretty much confirmed that. We aren't sending her back until September. DD11 doesn't do change well, and sending her back for 3 weeks to a classroom that looks nothing like the one she left would be harder on her than just finishing the year with online classes. Her teacher confirm that the course work would be identical. In september she is expecting change as she moves from elementary to middles school.

Y'all are trying too hard. You know what it's going to take to open the schools? Public officials coming out and admitting they made a mistake. Schools should have never been closed. Here's a challenge; find the data that DOES support closing the schools. It doesn't exist. If you support closing the schools for COVID you'd be better off supporting closing the schools through flu season. FAR more kids WITHOUT pre-existing conditions, that get the flu shot, get seriously ill and yes, die from the flu than will ever die from COVID.

Yeah, you are right. Totally unrealistic. Public officials admitting they made a mistake. It will never happen. What am I thinking?

But, schools are not just places for children. Schools have many adults in them, plus the numbers of adults taking students back-and-forth to school each day.

Schools are places where diseases like the flu and Covid can be transferred very easily from one person to another. Even if children don’t tend to have as severe a case, that doesn’t mean they couldn’t pass it on to other people in their homes.

This year, the CDC reported that 166 children died from the flu over the entire flu season covering the winter of 2019- 2020. At least 21 children have died from COVID-19 in the last six weeks. So that would seem to show that flu is more deadly, but as COVID-19 is a novel virus, we may have to wait and see on that, especially if it becomes a seasonal outbreak issue.

Our school had a board of directors meeting yesterday and everyone thought they would vote on the new school year calendar. They have a proposed idea, but didn’t want to vote yet.

Currently, Texas has said that as of June 1, in-person summer school can be held.

TEA has provided insight on how schools can adopt an “inter session” based school calendar to provide extended breaks during Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break. It looks like the regular break time + extended time to be used for remediation.

Our school is looking at adjusting to one of the prescribed calendars. We would start beginning of August and get out late June. Before we were mid-August to late-May. Total instructional days would remain the same, it’s the placement of break days....similar to a year round calendar.
There has been no mention of smaller class size, block schedules, etc.
Well, at least that's something. Ordinarily I'd say there is a serious flaw with that in that parents don't get all that time off, but at this point I'd take it. If you think getting kids back into schools is challenging, think about what has become the modern office workplace these days with the open floor plans, common work spaces, collaboration rooms - it ALL has to go if you are to properly social distance, and adults ARE art risk, so it does have to be done.

I haven’t seen any information like this yet. I would be really surprised if schools are making a decision in May to be completely online in August or September. Where have you seen where schools have already said that fall will be online only?

I’ve seen a few posters state their school are going straight to online in the fall.

Some colleges in California have already decided they will be online only in the fall.

But, schools are not just places for children. Schools have many adults in them, plus the numbers of adults taking students back-and-forth to school each day.

Schools are places where diseases like the flu and Covid can be transferred very easily from one person to another. Even if children don’t tend to have as severe a case, that doesn’t mean they couldn’t pass it on to other people in their homes.

This year, the CDC reported that 166 children died from the flu over the entire flu season covering the winter of 2019- 2020. At least 21 children have died from COVID-19 in the last six weeks. So that would seem to show that flu is more deadly, but as COVID-19 is a novel virus, we may have to wait and see on that, especially if it becomes a seasonal outbreak issue.
21<166 not seeing it. The 21 COVID deaths were ALL pre-existing conditions. You are treating kids like they are somehow ticking COVID timebombs. They are not. Deal with the exceptions appropriately and get the kids back in the schools. It's really not that hard.

21<166 not seeing it. The 21 COVID deaths were ALL pre-existing conditions. You are treating kids like they are somehow ticking COVID timebombs. They are not. Deal with the exceptions appropriately and get the kids back in the schools. It's really not that hard.

I don’t know how many of the children had pre-existing conditions, but I do know that this one little girl in Michigan did not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...5ab28a-83e9-11ea-ae26-989cfce1c7c7_story.html
And, the adults that work in the schools? Teachers, coaches, cafeteria, custodial, bus drivers? Do they just get to take their chances? You seem to support that businesses will need to change things to make things safer for their workers. It would seem to me that people who work in schools, should get similar protections.

It seems to me that your stance that we should just re-open the schools because it’s not that hard, is just as extreme as the people who are saying school should be only online in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter