What do you think school will be like in the fall? UPDATE page 29 for Mass.

Any idea yet what their plan might be? So far we haven’t heard anything, two of my kids will be in (two separate) small Catholic schools, one in jr high and the other in high school
So far, split days (4 hours each) so they can accommodate the social distancing in the classrooms, no lunch, bathroom monitors, and several issues I don’t recall at the moment.

has anyone whose district has announced plans been given any information on how transportation will be handled? i ask b/c i can't imagine how districts that provide buses will deal with it. the district we live in has a small student body but a large geographical area so when my kids attended they were on a full bus (by the time of the last pickup) for an hour going/hour coming home. to meet social distancing standards would entail massive additions in vehicles/routes. the handicapped accessible buses are extremely limited in numbers and entail special extra staffing so i imagine they will be even more impacted.

The poster you quoted teaches a performing arts class. She was referring to having to perform concerts online. It can't be done. Other classes can give assessments online where as we in the performing arts cannot do this. How do you perform that concert online?

That’s great, but they still put words into my mouth... I said nothing about live recordings.... yet the responder made it sound like that was what I said before continuing on about all the problems live recording presents. Live recording has issues and problems that set you off, that’s fine... I am sure there are more than I can imagine, but I didn’t mention anything about that and she responded with sentence that made it sound like I did say something about recordings:
First of all, is this recording live?

I am not so interested in that part now but rather the issue that permeates the DIS across years, threads and subjects. People are always putting words into the mouths of posters and then arguing against these words that the OP never even said. If you are going to go off and either ridicule someone or try to show how wrong they are, at least do so about something they actually said... lol.

FWIW, (and I an not going to say there wouldn’t be many issues with any way forward that people aren’t accustomed to) I was speaking about what we did last 3 months which was daily attendance, subject lessons (sometimes recorded by teacher and sometimes not) and assignments that were completed and turned in daily WITHOUT any online “live” class instruction or teaching. They did have a weekly zoom meeting for 30 mins or so, but it was just checking in, sharing, saying ‘hi’ or asking any questions in general about assignments. I am not saying this would work easily... and certainly a huge difference with people back to work, etc. In any case, I have no problem with people pointing the unlimited number of issues with this as a possible part of a solution (as there would be with many other ideas or options going forward)... after all, is this not the point of a discussion board? However, on the DIS in general, pay attention to how you are responding.... if I say vanilla ice cream is the worst... don’t go off saying how crazy I am for hating on chocolate ice cream, that chocolate is the devil, and that there is no way chocolate can work in your classroom.

Mmmm... ice cream 🍦

Has anybody seen anymore about MIS-C (multi inflammatory syndrome in children)? With the 24 hour news cycle, it’s hard to tell if it’s no longer a real concern or just simply dropped off the discussion. But I don’t see anything about it in the news since the middle of May about it.

Has anybody seen anymore about MIS-C (multi inflammatory syndrome in children)? With the 24 hour news cycle, it’s hard to tell if it’s no longer a real concern or just simply dropped off the discussion. But I don’t see anything about it in the news since the middle of May about it.

Just saw a report on one case in Omaha this week.

It gets attention every now and then but I think unless there's a large number of children all of a sudden nationally it has just subsided away in terms of news coverage over it.

My metro had a few children being taken care of for it but it was in the news all of a few days before other things took over. The protests in my area took a huge chunk of news for a long while too just like coronavirus coverage did for a long while.

have not seen much on the news lately but as of the end of may our state had 4 diagnosed cases.

Just saw a report on one case in Omaha this week.
It gets attention every now and then but I think unless there's a large number of children all of a sudden nationally it has just subsided away in terms of news coverage over it.

My metro had a few children being taken care of for it but it was in the news all of a few days before other things took over. The protests in my area took a huge chunk of news for a long while too just like coronavirus coverage did for a long while.
have not seen much on the news lately but as of the end of may our state had 4 diagnosed cases.
Thanks. I agree a lot of other stuff has happened as of late that has taken over the news. So although it appears it's still happening, it looks to be rare. There is some relief in that.

Our district has listed some PROPOSED plans, which specifically call for eliminating band, but do NOT mention eliminating sports. I don't mind saying, as a former band student myself and current very involved band parent, that if they cancel marching band but do NOT cancel football, I am going to be very, very angry.

I agree, and this scenario has definitely crossed my mind.

I have a friend who has 2 children with a chronic illness and she was talking to their Dr yesterday about them going to school 2 days a week in the fall.
The Dr said, even though their condition involves lung function, she is much more concerned of them getting MIS-C from it.

I have a friend who has 2 children with a chronic illness and she was talking to their Dr yesterday about them going to school 2 days a week in the fall.
The Dr said, even though their condition involves lung function, she is much more concerned of them getting MIS-C from it.
Interesting! I wonder we're no longer hearing much about it then.

has anyone whose district has announced plans been given any information on how transportation will be handled? i ask b/c i can't imagine how districts that provide buses will deal with it. the district we live in has a small student body but a large geographical area so when my kids attended they were on a full bus (by the time of the last pickup) for an hour going/hour coming home. to meet social distancing standards would entail massive additions in vehicles/routes. the handicapped accessible buses are extremely limited in numbers and entail special extra staffing so i imagine they will be even more impacted.
My district has not finialized any plans but they sent parents a survey and one of the questions asked if you would be able to transport your child.

Have not seen that specifically, but did see the article of how 11 foster children out of 54 tested positive in a facility in Florida but we all asymptomatic. That is 20% who were asymptomatic. I find that concerning when you consider the millions of kids returning to schools.

Have not seen that specifically, but did see the article of how 11 foster children out of 54 tested positive in a facility in Florida but we all asymptomatic. That is 20% who were asymptomatic. I find that concerning when you consider the millions of kids returning to schools.

That is concerning because kids going to school will come back home with the virus.

I did see that - and I don't disagree with you. But that is a different ball of wax then the MIS-C. Asymptomatic cases in children are dangerous because of who they could pass it to (teachers, family members, etc), where MIS-C affects them directly.

My question stems from is it really tied to Covid as much as they thought? Because I would feel like with this larger number of increasing cases, including children, we'd be seeing more of it. But it seems like in the end, it's a VERY small risk; definitely smaller than they originally believed.

I did see that - and I don't disagree with you. But that is a different ball of wax then the MIS-C. Asymptomatic cases in children are dangerous because of who they could pass it to (teachers, family members, etc), where MIS-C affects them directly.

My question stems from is it really tied to Covid as much as they thought? Because I would feel like with this larger number of increasing cases, including children, we'd be seeing more of it. But it seems like in the end, it's a VERY small risk; definitely smaller than they originally believed.
I totally agree! And hopefully, it is a very small percentage and is not a concern.

Asymptomatic cases in children are dangerous because of who they could pass it to (teachers, family members, etc), where MIS-C affects them directly.

current studies are showing that at minimum 50% of asymptomatic cases when given a ct scan of their lungs show some level of damage. we don't yet know what could happen to those who present as a positive asymptotic during wave 1 of the virus-it could be much worse on them with the next go round.

Our district sent out a survey about buses and sent out a few reminders about how important it was to fill them out. But they still haven't made a decision as to what school will look like. They said in person options include Team A & Team B schedules, everyone goes to school, no cafeteria, no recess, etc...

My wife was very concerned about how truthful we were being in the survey. I told her it's a ridiculous survey to send out since they haven't actually provided us with any concrete information on how they intend to reopen so fill it out that we'll use the bus and then if we don't then we don't. I told her I would tell them myself how ridiculous it was to expect parents to give a solid answer on buses when they couldn't give us anything even remotely solid about what it's going to look like.

It’s official for two neighboring school districts of mine. (No definitive plans yet for my school district).

One district with a population of 65,000 (not just kids) says they will give parents the choice between 3 options: in-person full-time, 2-days a week in person, and distant full-time. The district will move forward with every school implementing this mix of 3 attendance methods.
They have decided now so that they can be fully ready for the school year in August. This includes installing cameras in every classroom and for every student whether at home or in class to use tablets and/or computers for activities and assignments so that every student has the same learning curriculum regardless of where they physically are.
Here’s interesting info from families in this school district. The district sent out a survey asking which methods parents preferred. Since the results were fairly split, they decided to just implement all three.
35% wanted in-person full time
39% wanted 2 days/week in person
26% wanted complete distance learning
Here’s the kicker: Apparently, a survey of staff and teachers showed very similar distribution.

The other neighboring school district with a population of 85,000 (very slightly higher median income area than the described above district) has officially decided to go with a 2-choice plan. Parents can choose between completely online learning or 2 days/week hybrid. That means there will NOT be a full-time in-person program. No official survey results released yet, but this is what the majority of parents wanted supposedly.

Given these are my neighboring school district plans, I have no doubt my district will move forward with similar multiple choice options.

But, unlike a previous poster wrote about their local district, the districts here will not let you freely move from one method to another at any time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter