• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you think school will be like in the fall? UPDATE page 29 for Mass.

We had our first conversations about fall planning last night in a steering committee meeting, and it is a mess! Some background: I'm on the committee of a small, parochial school. Our largest classes are in the mid-teens, and we serve students K through 8, and our building has extra classrooms (currently used for "specials") that could be converted for additional space. So we basically have every advantage in dealing with this, compared to larger or public schools.

Right now, we're being told by the regional superintendent to prepare for hybrid learning and to maintain distancing in the classroom. But developing a workable plan for that is going to be rough. The thing that makes the most sense is to have the middle schoolers, who share the same three teachers, attend on some days and the lower elem attend on the other - the thinking is 2 days one week, 3 the next, switching off so both groups get equal time. That would also allow those teachers to be available for online learning support on their grades' off days. But that means that some families who have kids at both levels won't have them on the same schedule, and if one of those families does come down with the virus, the whole school gets exposed because the kids are attending with both groups. But to split the kids along different lines, with half of each grade attending each day so that kids from the same family are on the same schedule would mean teachers are unavailable to students learning at home on the other half of the days. Also, art and music and tech are looking like they'll be completely impossible - too hard to do in the ordinary classroom, too high risk in terms of equipment and cleaning - so those are just going to go away.

We're also being told to expect a 20% enrollment drop, more if we aren't allowed to start the year with at least some in-person learning, though that might be offset as the consequences of the gutted public school funding our state is currently proposing become clear. I don't see how the public schools will be able to be anything other than fully online, with a 25% budget cut coming and class sizes already in the high 20s or low 30s. There's not enough time, space or staff to reduce class sizes enough to comply with the distancing guidelines we're being told to expect, and there won't be any money to reconfigure spaces or hire additional teachers or aides to make it work.

We live in a rural area and there have not been a lot of cases in our area. I believe that the schools will be opening in the fall. In the more populous areas of the state where the case numbers are higher I wouldn't be surprised to see them continue with remote learning.

DD works for a University system in our state and right now there's no word on whether they are going to resume normal operations in the fall or go to a completely remote learning module. She expects to hear something by the end of the month.

That would be great but so many kids do not have access to the internet or if they do it is very shaky. It also does not address the needs of many special education students. As you can see from the discussion earlier many districts are facing lawsuits if the needs of special ed kids are not met. The problem is that IEPs are written with the idea that we are in person. I know that I can not meet the needs of my special ed kids in an online format. For those who can I would love to hear what you are doing to meet some very specific needs for some kids.

I agree with you that some kids need to be in a classroom setting, either for IEPs, structure, lack of internet, whatever. I guess with what I had in mind parents would have that option.

We're also being told to expect a 20% enrollment drop, more if we aren't allowed to start the year with at least some in-person learning, though that might be offset as the consequences of the gutted public school funding our state is currently proposing become clear. I don't see how the public schools will be able to be anything other than fully online, with a 25% budget cut coming and class sizes already in the high 20s or low 30s. There's not enough time, space or staff to reduce class sizes enough to comply with the distancing guidelines we're being told to expect, and there won't be any money to reconfigure spaces or hire additional teachers or aides to make it work.

I'm concerned for my youngest's school as well. In his class of 10 kids this year, 5 moms have already said they won't be returning next year if we stay online, it just isn't worth the tuition. I don't know if parents in other classes feel the same way, but if too many kids drop out they won't have the funds to operate. Not to mention the teachers they will lose since most of our teachers have school age kids themselves.

I'm concerned for my youngest's school as well. In his class of 10 kids this year, 5 moms have already said they won't be returning next year if we stay online, it just isn't worth the tuition. I don't know if parents in other classes feel the same way, but if too many kids drop out they won't have the funds to operate. Not to mention the teachers they will lose since most of our teachers have school age kids themselves.
I'm really afraid this is going to decimate private schools.

We're fortunate that our school is more like a family, and not many are considering leaving even if we do stay online. I know one family that's thinking about it, only because mom and dad are both essential health care workers and they're having a very, very hard time with how they could manage any sort of hybrid schedule. They're coping okay with fully at home, with the help of a grandparent who doesn't drive, but would have a harder time with an every-other-day or half-day model. We are looking into offering a limited childcare/study hall, though, in one or more of our extra classrooms - we're a Catholic school with a now-defunct convent on the property that is used for specials classes and storage but has a lot of extra/unused space, so we we're looking into whether we can repurpose that into socially-distanced off-day latchkey for our families who need it. So that should help with retention.

But this is going to devastate private schools as a whole, especially Catholic schools that serve a less affluent population than most secular private schools. We've been struggling to get our numbers up enough to be stable and sustainable for years, and now we get hit with this.

I am very stressed about what is going to happen with school in the fall. DD will be a junior in high school, DD5 enters kindergarten and DD3 will be in daycare.
Dh and I are both full time essential employees. DH works for our city and I am an X-ray tech in a major CT hospital. Right now all 3 kids are home which has worked out bc I am out on medical leave. I had surgery in March and will be out of work until June

Daycare is scheduled to open back up the week before I return to work. However, I have no idea what will happen if schools are closed in the fall. The shortened or rotating days will be a disaster for me. DD would be able to watch DS if she was home but what if they have school opposite days or times.

Even if school is all online I can’t have DD watch DS while she has school work to do.
I am really hoping for schools to open back normal days and normal times. If not the only solution I can see is me leaving my full time job that I have spent years to get the position I want within my hospital.

We're fortunate that our school is more like a family, and not many are considering leaving even if we do stay online. I know one family that's thinking about it, only because mom and dad are both essential health care workers and they're having a very, very hard time with how they could manage any sort of hybrid schedule. They're coping okay with fully at home, with the help of a grandparent who doesn't drive, but would have a harder time with an every-other-day or half-day model. We are looking into offering a limited childcare/study hall, though, in one or more of our extra classrooms - we're a Catholic school with a now-defunct convent on the property that is used for specials classes and storage but has a lot of extra/unused space, so we we're looking into whether we can repurpose that into socially-distanced off-day latchkey for our families who need it. So that should help with retention.

But this is going to devastate private schools as a whole, especially Catholic schools that serve a less affluent population than most secular private schools. We've been struggling to get our numbers up enough to be stable and sustainable for years, and now we get hit with this.

In our case I really do think it will depend on how the online learning is done. I know they are working on plans A, B, and C for next year so hopefully there will be a lot more consistency in teacher support. I've posted before that our class got very little support from our teacher. I know others were doing a lot more in terms of online instruction, zooms every day, etc.

I think what's going to hurt ours is that we are basically a homeschool coop. Many of our families have homeschooled in the past. I think a lot of them feel that if they are essentially homeschooling anyway, why pay the tuition.

I am very stressed about what is going to happen with school in the fall. DD will be a junior in high school, DD5 enters kindergarten and DD3 will be in daycare.
Dh and I are both full time essential employees. DH works for our city and I am an X-ray tech in a major CT hospital. Right now all 3 kids are home which has worked out bc I am out on medical leave. I had surgery in March and will be out of work until June

Daycare is scheduled to open back up the week before I return to work. However, I have no idea what will happen if schools are closed in the fall. The shortened or rotating days will be a disaster for me. DD would be able to watch DS if she was home but what if they have school opposite days or times.

Even if school is all online I can’t have DD watch DS while she has school work to do.
I am really hoping for schools to open back normal days and normal times. If not the only solution I can see is me leaving my full time job that I have spent years to get the position I want within my hospital.

We are in a similar situation with my daughter entering 10th grade next year and my son entering Kindergarten. The 10th grader is high functioning autism with an IEP and it's been a struggle as my wife works from home and basically is her teacher as well while I entertain a 5 year old energetic boy all day. It's been rough and I don't see how we could do this next year with my wife probably returning to the office by the time school starts.

Cal State University announced that they'll be all online for the fall.... That's the first shoe to drop, I think.

It would be great to have more hard science about transmissibility from kids to adults. Because if kids aren't the vector that we're assuming them to be, then schools can go back to mostly-normal.

Our district has said that to maintain six feet separation, the average class size would have to be SIX kids. That's just not possible, even with half day or every other day scheudles. If they insist on six feet distancing, then online is the only option.

Totally agree, California State Colleges leading the way in trying to be virtual for Fall 2020. I think it's just a matter of time before other colleges, than private and public high schools announce the same.

Everyone wants to open but when they go through their "what if" scenarios, it all goes to the dumpster when it becomes, what do we do if 1 faculty tests positive? what if 1 student? what if multiple faculty & students? what is our shutdown#? ...ok forget it, let's just figure out a better online system for the students.

Totally agree, California State Colleges leading the way in trying to be virtual for Fall 2020. I think it's just a matter of time before other colleges, than private and public high schools announce the same.

Everyone wants to open but when they go through their "what if" scenarios, it all goes to the dumpster when it becomes, what do we do if 1 faculty tests positive? what if 1 student? what if multiple faculty & students? what is our shutdown#? ...ok forget it, let's just figure out a better online system for the students.
I think many colleges and universities will have on campus classes this fall. Not CA or the northeast, but lots of other locations will.

I’m NJ and if we go virtual for college most people I know are having their kids withdraw and go to community college for a semester or two. I read some numbers that colleges should expect 15-30% withdraw rate if classes go online.

ETA: we have community colleges in our area that do 3 years at community level and then senior year at the university.

I’m NJ and if we go virtual for college most people I know are having their kids withdraw and go to community college for a semester or two.

ETA: we have community colleges in our area that do 3 years at community level and then senior year at the university.
I'm not surprised at all.

But what he didn't say is where those people are living. That has been a concern with Italy also as well as alot of the low income areas of NYC that has been hit hard.

Many of those areas people live in close quarters as is, so it would only take a few that are going out to bring it back.
Yes, this. Los Angeles County announced yesterday that, because there are still so many new cases in LA, we are stuck until August, probably beyond - the whole county. OK, but where are those new cases exactly? Nope, can't say, privacy concerns. OK, but I'm sure if you started plotting those locations, a pattern would pretty quickly emerge. Can't do that though, so we are all locked down - through the summer - probably longer - shoot me now.

I think many colleges and universities will have on campus classes this fall. Not CA or the northeast, but lots of other locations will.

I'm almost positive my state (Texas) is pushing hard to return things as normal as possible. I'd be shocked if we didn't have in person school at least to start.

There are Institutions of Higher learning suggesting holdbacks of graduates for next year. Imho... their concern is that the economic Impact from Covid has already limited If not destroyed employment opportunities and their Stats will Suffer(!) , thus..Funding will go down, top tiers choose elsewhere etc. . So.. some are offering other Options.. like offering different advanced degrees ( with benefits like reduced/no cost) and holding off graduation. Clearly I was vague, for reasons.. so take it for what it’s worth.

For my sanity and the sanity of one of my kids, I am currently just pretending that everything will be totally fine and normal come September. :) If things are not, one of my kids will be totally fine with that while one will be difficult. And we'll get through it, anyway, but I just don't want to really worry about that now, when I haven't finished getting them through this school year yet. :)

Other posters. Have you heard from your school or area college/high school/elementary public or private where a chancellor or president or district superintendent has publicly come out and said, YES 100% we will have in person come Fall 2020?

That’s a hard situation. Our district is currently planning to put students on A/B schedules. A will go MWF one week, then TThu the next, switching out with the B students. I already lost my beloved job due to Coronavirus in March. I am totally willing to take a few kids into my home that are on my kids same schedules and same classrooms next year. Maybe you would be able to find another parent willing to help out and in a similar situation?

We are on a balanced calendar. We go back to school the end of July. From what I understand, the governor (Indiana) does not plan to make any announcements about next school year until at least July 1st, which is understandable, but it puts my school district at a distinct disadvantage because we go back so early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter