What do you think the driver is for the perceived increase in physical altercations at the parks?

People don't know how to be people anymore. Our lack of any REAL interaction with one another has ruined any real semblance of unity and society.

People have spent the last 15ish years doing the majority of socializing through a detached screen as opposed to face to face. Then, spent the majority of a year cutting out what little REAL social interaction they participated in altogether.

Imagine if you kept your dog in a cage or a small house ALL the time never letting it socialize with other dogs aside from maybe a distant bark across a yard for years. When you let the dog out and bring it around other dogs, do you think it will behave in a calm and appropriate manner, or will it likely be aggressive and maybe a bit intimidated?

That's why IMO.

A year with heads in a screen has ruined us. Schools have become a daily battleground with escalating behaviors. We’ve forgotten our basic manners and now do anything to be the “me first” guy. there will always be the unpleasant person in every bunch. I’m worried about out society.

I was in Disney May 2021 and everyone was happy and cheerful! Same in September 2021. Not crazy busy and no Genie+.

When I am involved with my phone/computer and everything needs to be precise and I am "working", I tend to be short when I am interrupted. I taught 7th grade math virtual last year using Canvas, some of you may be familiar. It had to be perfect for five classes; the number of "links" where overwhelming. And the virtual lessons.... It was frustrating and made me anxious. I retired this year after 27 years in the classroom. :cheer2:

My point, Genie+ sounds very glitchy and people get frustrated on vacation. It can change a personality. That's not good. Sometimes the disappointment begins at 7am!

Multiple reasons (in no particular order):
a.) Cell phones. More people have them, so more stuff gets 'caught' on video.
b.) Covid-stress. Nearly everyone on the planet has experienced some type of (ongoing) stress from Covid.
c.) Politics. Civility between people has seemingly been lost. The notion of a 'collective-good' has been chipped-away.
d.) Disney. Increased stress from Genie, loss of entertainment, etc., and over-crowded Parks in visual disrepair.

So, I think, people were frequently 'stressed' before the pandemic.

Now, however, more folks are stressed for increasing numbers of reasons (listed above) and it's just going to take a bit more time for things to 'get back to normal'.
I’ve dealt with life altering stressors more than one year of my life and managed not to yell at, push, hit, or be nasty to anyone at Disney.

The idea that Disney somehow contributes to rudess and violence because of Genie or pricing is one of the more disturbing trends I see on DIS. Not singling you out at all - lots of people say the same.

I think “personal responsibility” messaging gets misused all the time but I absolutely think it applies here:

If you’re one of the tiny fraction of humans lucky enough to go to Disney world this year, or any year, then you have the respomto keep yourself from being rude or violent. Period.

I was walking into Magic Kingdom at rope drop and was off to the side taking a photo of my daughter (PLENTY of room around me) and a lady said "If you don't move I'm going to hit you with my stroller!"

Funny thing is she clearly didn't know what she was doing because I ended up in front of her on 7DMT and we gingerly made our way there.
What the…? Wow!

People don't know how to be people anymore. Our lack of any REAL interaction with one another has ruined any real semblance of unity and society.

People have spent the last 15ish years doing the majority of socializing through a detached screen as opposed to face to face. Then, spent the majority of a year cutting out what little REAL social interaction they participated in altogether.

Imagine if you kept your dog in a cage or a small house ALL the time never letting it socialize with other dogs aside from maybe a distant bark across a yard for years. When you let the dog out and bring it around other dogs, do you think it will behave in a calm and appropriate manner, or will it likely be aggressive and maybe a bit intimidated?

That's why IMO.
I agree that people are not socializing face to face as much as they should. It's so easy to say things online that you wouldn't say face to face.
It's funny, but when I was in college we had a class on communication that was the most popular on campus. You had to wait for a year or so to get in. Our professor did a little test with us. He blind folded us and put us in pairs. We were told to talk with each other and see how it felt. It was so odd because we couldn't see the other person's expressions or his reactions to ours. It made communication difficult without face to face expressions. None of us liked it and I remember it to this day. Now people would laugh at a class such as this one. It does make you think. Try it with your kids and see; oh, but you can't now because everyone communicates via devices.

Just my 2 cents on why there is more bad behavior at disney.
I think the #1 is Entitlement. People spend thousands on "the perfect disney vacation" and find out it's not what was promised; ie, long lines, crowds, dirty, can't get rides even with paying, difficulty getting food, etc, the list is so long!
So, they let it all out at some minor infraction and sometimes fights happen. If someone is the type to get involved in a fight, then there's that person who will light up pretty quickly.
It seems like this entitlement gets worse year after year at WDW, and other places too.
Also, the ease of getting liquor anytime, anyplace I feel contributes to these altercations. I liked it better when you could only buy liquor at the resort restaurants. Now it's a drink fest for some who can't control it or just want to get a buzz on. I also hate to hear cussing while there are kids around. But that's another issue.

That's why IMO.
It’s true. We’re all feral. I know I am. I’m just easily mollified by treats and praise

I have been working in K-12 education for close to a decade, this year has been by far the worst in terms of parental behavior. You would not believe the hateful, unreasonable, and caustic phone calls and emails that we have received at my school. We are a close knit school in a small community and everyone knows each other. It is not the norm. I think people mentally were done with the pandemic over the summer, and when it came back, everyone ran out of patience and teachers/ school employees were an easy target. The same thing is happening at the parks. CM's and other patrons at the parks are easy punching bags because people are exhausted and mentally checked out of the pandemic. Social/ News media is also very divisive as people are trapped in their online echo chambers and are once again interacting with people in the real world again. The good news, people are slowly improving their behavior. The fall was rough in terms of this behavior, but the same parents that gave us grief are now giving us Christmas presents and treats. Everyone deserves a little grace, it will get better, just be patient.

I’ve dealt with life altering stressors more than one year of my life and managed not to yell at, push, hit, or be nasty to anyone at Disney.

The idea that Disney somehow contributes to rudess and violence because of Genie or pricing is one of the more disturbing trends I see on DIS. Not singling you out at all - lots of people say the same.

I think “personal responsibility” messaging gets misused all the time but I absolutely think it applies here:

If you’re one of the tiny fraction of humans lucky enough to go to Disney world this year, or any year, then you have the respomto keep yourself from being rude or violent. Period.
Disney controls crowds because they can always stop selling tickets.

Crowds create longer waits.

Longer waits increase stress.

People are waiting longer for all transportation. There are no parking lot trams. Stress

Additionally, Genie is merely a punctuation of Disney charging more while simultaneously providing less.

I am not alone being disgruntled by the increased need to utilize my phone (with Disney consistently poor IT) throughout the day to accomplish what I did prior to my arrival. Dismiss it all you like, but that's a real issue for many people. Stress.

Decreasing entertainment was a trend prior to Covid. Stress.

It's not just increasing prices due to inflation, but simply making people pay more for less. Stress.

This trend will continue until enough people speak with their pocketbooks.

As to your last sentence, "If you’re one of the tiny fraction of humans lucky enough to go to Disney world this year, or any year, then you have the respomto keep yourself from being rude or violent. Period."

That's the point of discussion this Thread. Are the perceived increases in physical altercations at Disney real or imagined?

You seem to believe it to be (mostly?) imagined, I believe the increase to be (mostly) real.

Disney controls crowds because they can always stop selling tickets.

Crowds create longer waits.

Longer waits increase stress.

People are waiting longer for all transportation. There are no parking lot trams. Stress

Additionally, Genie is merely a punctuation of Disney charging more while simultaneously providing less.

I am not alone being disgruntled by the increased need to utilize my phone (with Disney consistently poor IT) throughout the day to accomplish what I did prior to my arrival. Dismiss it all you like, but that's a real issue for many people. Stress.

Decreasing entertainment was a trend prior to Covid. Stress.

It's not just increasing prices due to inflation, but simply making people pay more for less. Stress.

This trend will continue until enough people speak with their pocketbooks.

As to your last sentence, "If you’re one of the tiny fraction of humans lucky enough to go to Disney world this year, or any year, then you have the respomto keep yourself from being rude or violent. Period."

That's the point of discussion this Thread. Are the perceived increases in physical altercations at Disney real or imagined?

You seem to believe it to be (mostly?) imagined, I believe the increase to be (mostly) real.
Oh no, I think it's real. I'm disturbed that someone getting violent because Genie+ exists or there's a big line for the Magic Kingdom parking ferry is seen as understandable by a lot of people around here. That's genuinely scary to me.

A year with heads in a screen has ruined us. Schools have become a daily battleground with escalating behaviors. We’ve forgotten our basic manners and now do anything to be the “me first” guy. there will always be the unpleasant person in every bunch. I’m worried about out society.
I don't disagree, but I've seen teachers taking this out on kids. While we may all get it, some of us are just plain required to take the high road. And that incudes all teachers and every adult at Disney World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter