• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you want for Christmas?

I take it you don't want a plug in heater for your car? My family in snow country all had those. No burning up $5 a gallon gas when an electric car heater will do the same think for less money.
That only heats the engine block. It doesn't defrost the car.

This is why my wife and I stopped buying gifts on birthdays, anniversaries and Chanukah & Christmas. We now just get something nice for the house as an "us" gift.
A very wise older couple told me years ago that it just caused a lot of frustration so they quit buying gifts for their birthdays, anniversary and Christmas and planned a vacation for the two of them. If you have kids, maybe get a babysitter for the weekend for a nice get away.
We don't do gifts for adults any longer (I'm sure my son/dil exchange and my daughter/bf do). I get my enjoyment buying my grandkids their gifts. I really don't need/nor want anything that I can't buy myself. We do a white elephant so we shall see what that gets me. I think I'm at that age of less stuff is good.
Ooooops I just remembered my grandkids do get me something.

Last edited:

We still buy each other gifts, but we did agree on no “ big ticket” items anymore. Just a few little gifts to open on Christmas morning and stuff for stockings. I did order 2 new JCrew sweatshirts that he can “give me”. And I could use some Nike sweatpants, but that’s about all I need.

Next year I would like to go away for Christmas , but this year we just have too many household projects to finish.

I am totally not making this up but I genuinely asked DH for two toilet brushes with holders. Because we have 2 bathrooms and I have to keep hauling the brush up and down the stairs every time I clean the bathrooms and it doesn't have a holder so I end up putting g it in the bathtub and it's just gross and I never remember to just buy them myself.

The older I get the more excited I get about the strangest things.
In a similar vein,I asked for a new outdoor garbage can for several years before my kids realized I was serious and got me one. I could have easily purchased it
myself, but it was a want, not a need, so I never did.

This year, I’ve asked for phone accessories (extra charger, car mount,etc). I’m a practical kind of gal.

I take it you don't want a plug in heater for your car? My family in snow country all had those. No burning up $5 a gallon gas when an electric car heater will do the same think for less money.

I have had a auto start on my car for 3 years,its never used up a gallon of gas!

DH buys me 3 books every year, by my favorite authors. I usually buy him some new shirts, but that's a "needs" that would have been purchased anyhow. This year he "inherited" some lovely shirts when a friend passed away but needs solid ties to go with them, so that may be what I buy him. A few years ago we started traveling over the holidays; by the end of the semester in Maine, all we really want is to relax someplace warm! This year we are going to New Orleans for 5 days (staying with my sister, we'll have a GREAT time!) and then over to Orlando to visit a friend for a couple of days. Not really vacation due to circumstances, so DH and I are going to take a weekend to go see Nutcracker in Portland (ME) and stay a couple of nights. This was his idea, as his Christmas gift to me. It's very sweet, he knows how much I love the ballet and thought of (and planned) this all on his own!

DH and I stopped exchanging gifts a few years ago, same goes for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. We would much rather go out to eat for the occasion. I would much rather spend the extra few $$ on vacations, longer vacations, special meal. We buy what we need/want all year for each other. We will surprise each other once in a while but it does not necessarily have to be for a "special day".

I shop for the grandchildren and my adult kids. I give a small gift for each to open and give $$ in a card. The grandchildren have so many toys, half the time I don't know what to get or they already have it. My kids, it is usually a gift certificate or $$.

I also tell my kids to please not get us anything or a small thought will do. A bottle of wine, a candle, a card is fine. They always manage to get something - nothing big and it's appreciated. We just want something to show they remember us. Usually one of them will hear me talk about something I saw, have to get and one will say, done. It's your Christmas gift :).

We enjoyed it for many years - now for us, it's all about the "kids" and as we get older (and not to sound mushy), we want to attend mass, peace, health and happiness.

I don't really have a list myself. I will just appreciate whatever I get and be surprised.

I cannot really think of anything that I want for Christmas other than to have a joyful season.

In a similar vein,I asked for a new outdoor garbage can for several years before my kids realized I was serious and got me one. I could have easily purchased it
myself, but it was a want, not a need, so I never did.

This year, I’ve asked for phone accessories (extra charger, car mount,etc). I’m a practical kind of gal.

We live in snow country and don't have a garage so an ice scraper is a necessity. A few years ago I had a super cheap, flimsy one and again, wouldn't go get myself one. DD got me this awesome heavy duty one with a telescoping handle for Christmas. It was my favorite gift that year.

I wish I could convince my DH to stop exchanging gifts. I've suggested it several times and he always says no, he still wants to do gifts. I'm not sure why - he is a terrible gift buyer and he's really hard to buy for.

In a perfect world? Full or some student loan debt cancelled (I will even take $5,000 off at this point.)

I always ask for nivea milk and honey chapstick cuz I love it and it’s hard to find. So usually my stocking has anywhere from 5-10 of them.

This year I did ask for slippers as my old ones are goners.

My husband and I quit buying gifts for each other years ago. He wouldn’t have a clue what to get me anyway and if I have to tell him what I want, where to buy it cause he doesn’t have a clue how to shop online, where it is in the store cause it could be right in front of his face and he wouldn’t see it, then why bother.
My parents stopped as well. They still get little or upgraded things here or there, but they mainly just go out to a nice dinner together and then we do something big as a family.

Husband and I cut down a lot of Christmas gifts to each other over the years. We've been doing a lot of work in the house...remodeling bathrooms, painting, furniture. Just put in 2 new driveways and walkway. Talk about cha-ching$$$$! Yikes! But still it's nice to open something under the tree on Christmas day so we get "little stuff." I asked for a new hair dryer, Ulta gift card. Nothing exciting.

Husband and I cut down a lot of Christmas gifts to each other over the years. We've been doing a lot of work in the house...remodeling bathrooms, painting, furniture. Just put in 2 new driveways and walkway. Talk about cha-ching$$$$! Yikes! But still it's nice to open something under the tree on Christmas day so we get "little stuff." I asked for a new hair dryer, Ulta gift card. Nothing exciting.
This is exactly my parents. One year, my dad got my mom an updated water pik (and the refills for the plastic piece on the top). My mom got my dad a new tiny tool kit she saw on QVC. They maybe total spent $60 each on their gifts. And both get an insane amount of use on them.
Also since they host: my mom does the cooking, my dad does the cleaning.

I have had a auto start on my car for 3 years,its never used up a gallon of gas!
It's illegal in California to leave an unattended car running so that is the second issue here. I suspect if you are using the auto start you have used a lot more gasoline than you think. Unless, LOL, you have a diesel! Seems the typical car uses 1/2 gallon of gasoline per hour of idling.

I'm sentimental and recently pulled this bracelet out and realized it needs at least one Toy Story charm and others but I am not a fan of the new kind they have so I've been poking around ebay and such. My favorites were ones that had small moving bits and the enamel. I'm very sad that Donald needs a new garnet. The clip on ones were just randomly added at some point, I'm not really sure of the details but the other's I remember clearly.
2021-11-07_08-49-59_766 (1).jpeg

I found a jeweler who restrung my grandmother's pearls.

Not to jinx but I asked for a trip to WDW sometime next year and am really hoping it works out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter