What do you wish you knew on your first cruise?

I wish I had known treats from Cove Cafe were not extra-fee. I was so disappointed more desserts weren't available on the cruise.

<><

I wish I had known treats from Cove Cafe were not extra-fee. I was so disappointed more desserts weren't available on the cruise.

<><
and those are some of the best desserts on the ship - better than anything at the buffet.

Wish I had known:

-pack less/lighter, especially if you are flying in!!!
-leave the bungee cord at home (balcony cabins) - the childproofing is wonderful and none of the doors slam shut
-you can order Mickey Bars from Room Service!
-some toys/things from the onboard "Disney Store" are reasonable and cannot be found online or in the regular "Disney Store" on land (WDW might be a different story) - on our cruise this included many Frozen toys... :)
-if you are planning to get anywhere on board on time, do not walk past the "Disney Store" with your toddler/preschooler! :)
-the nursery was very accommodating in regards to changing hours on board, I stressed too much at home to have everything planned out perfectly - not possible with toddlers.
-make sure you look at your photos early enough - not on disembarkation morning, as completely fine on some other cruise lines! (at DCL they toss them super early)

Glad I knew:

-do the Aquaduck (if you have it) at sunset! AWESOME!
-bring a pillowcase with Sharpie Markers or something similar for Character signatures and keepsake (drop off at Guest Services in Ziploc bag with your Stateroom number on it)
-Visit the adult spa with a rainforest day pass bought in advance
-RELAX - you cannot see all or do all, especially on a shorter cruise

.....and those are some of the best desserts on the ship - better than anything at the buffet.

What? So you just ask for them...? Really? Thank you!

Great idea!
Mickey bars, Room service, adult night life..

Loved it all, can't wait to do it again!

As a first time cruiser myself, I am so thankful for this thread! Can't wait to hear more - I just hope I will remember most of them when needed. :-)

The Rainforest Room

Mixology and other Alcohol Classes

Being able to bring your own alcohol and beer onboard

Bring air freshener spray for the cabin bathroom

Get off the ship earlier at Castaway Cay and that the kids club operates on the island, just spend the whole day at CC

Plan an excursion for Nassau

Cove Cafe for real coffee

Don't do a WDW park vacation after the cruise, do it before an relax on the cruise after. Do a resort only stay after if you must.

Never felt rushed with early seating or having to leave a port early. Could depend on cruise

Whoever suggested skipping all excursions just to stay on boat I offer opposite opinion. Unless you have been somewhere lots of times, I get off at every port bc I cruise to see the world. I can explore ship when not in port. I can't visit locals and activities while sailing.

Different perspective

Originally Posted by jrabbit

.....and those are some of the best desserts on the ship - better than anything at the buffet.

Owwww. Twistin' the knife!!!

<><
Sorry!!!

What? So you just ask for them...? Really? Thank you!

Nope you don't ask, it's self service. There are plates and napkins next to the display case, grab the tongs open the door and put what you want on the plate, close the door and you are good to go.

But I do end up asking EVERY time .... It almost seems like sneaking (stealing) them without asking first :)

and they have different item in there in the mornings and afternoons. So go Twice!!! ::yes::

I didn't read through everything so maybe someone else said these things. If you're at all into the pirate night thing, bring a costume! The first time we just wore the bandanas they gave us and were suprised at how many people so all out! This time I brought home made pirate costumes- white t-shirts that I tattered the ends of, with $3 black sweatpants cut-off and $.50 fabrics remnants from JoAnn fabrics to use as belts. Many people said they loved our outfits and we spent alot less than real costumes.

If you've got kids, SKIP THE ARCADE. There's plenty of free stuff to do, you have to pay for the arcade and the ticket/prize system stinks.

If you're thinking you might buy the whole picture package at Shutters, doing it before your cruise saves you $. Check out mycruisephotosdotcom (I can't post links)
The pools are empty before 8am (although the deeper pool isn't open until 9 when the lifeguards start). My kids and I were in the pool and hot tub before 7am every day and when it was time for sunblock and/or other people, we went on to other things. Also, Aquaduck at night- no line!

We never press. Just bring wrinkle release and spray everything once on hangers. Works great. We never plan unless we are in Europe and want to do an excursion. On the dvc cruise now. They started boarding at 11 am.

We chose to avoid the crowd and get on the boat near the end of the boarding period. Shortly after we got on, it was my son's naptime (2 y.o. at the time).

I didn't know they'd be making announcements nonstop in the rooms and that we'd have to wake him for the mandatory safety presentation! He was not very happy to be woken up for that, and I felt bad for the people around us during that talk.

Short answer: I wish I'd known when that safety was going to occur in relation to when we got on the boat.

We met so many wonderful people! The last day of the cruise we wrote our contact information so many times and on anything we could find in our stateroom. It was hilarious what we were using......like the laundry price list form. I wished i had thought to preprint cards with our contact details. We missed exchanging info with a few couples, and we are still bummed about it. We still talk about everyone we met!

A buffet with huge, juicy turkey legs like you get in the parks :). My hubby and daughter were in heaven eating those at 11:30 at night! We didn't know about it either until we were walking through on our way to our room. It was so much fun eating that midnight snack.

We missed it last cruise because we thought it was an actual midnight buffet! We got there at midnight and they were closing up!

We've been on 4 cruises and here are some tips:

- We bought snorkeling gear on amazon and brought it with us on our cruises. This has paid itself over easily. Much more worth it than paying to rent it at Castaway cay.

- Room service is freeee!

- Port days: We found these to be the best days to enjoy the ship. Especially the aqua duck. The line is super short since everyone is out at port.

- Bring pirate gear for pirate night, it makes it more fun. Although the ship does provide everyone with pirate bandanas.

- Take 2 Big Island Cookies and put your MickeyBar in between. Deliciousss

* I can't believe I didn't know that the treats in Cove Cafe were included (no extra charge). I've been kicking myself about that since our cruise ended.

* Bring more comfortable shoes. Some of my cute sandals are just cute sandals and not great for trotting around the ship.

* Take seasickness meds before I get on the ship. I didn't know I'd be susceptible and then I was, badly, and spent the whole cruise trying to play catch up.

* Also, on a related side note, always remember that the cruise staff are eager to help, but can't read your mind. I felt sick and was anxiously waiting for the shops to open so I could buy some Dramamine. For whatever reason, they were bit late opening -- it was ten minutes past when they should've and the doors were still locked. Lots of people were waiting and we could see the gift shop staff inside, having a just-before-opening meeting. It was frustrating because I felt so unwell. Just then a CM for guest services walked by and I asked why the opening was delayed -- he said they were just running behind, but was I okay and did I need anything? I said no, I was fine. WHY?! I didn't want to be a pest, I guess, plus I wasn't feeling myself, but if I had just said what I was waiting for, I now know that CM would have taken me to the guest services desk and gotten Dramamine for me there, problem solved. But it wasn't, because I didn't speak up. Always ask!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter