• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What does a nice men's dress shirt and tie cost?

I also buy my DH's shirts at places like Marshalls, Stein Mart, etc. It can be kind of hard to find his size, so I shop often and buy them when they have them. I can get ones that are around $40-50 at a department store for around $25. I do usually just buy his ties at Dillards. They're a little more expensive, but they never wear out. They last until they go out of style.

DH has recently decided that he likes shirts that come in sizes like Large, XLarge, and so on rather than fitted shirts. I don't think they look nearly as sharp on him, but it is a lot easier to find his size that way. They're not good for really dressy occassions, but he works at a place where he could wear knit polo shirts if he wanted, so they're fine for that.

debloco said:
Yep, I hear you! But, see below...there's more expensive than what I purchased for DH that's ready made and then there's...

That's a whole other level of expensive. Bespoke clothing is wonderful, very nice.

Sorry that this is off topic but could you (or someone) please tell me how you put two quotes in one post!?? I'm so techno challenged!!!

(but now it didn't come up as two separate quotes???? helllllppppp!!!)

you need to shop sales. Also where you buy will affect the price. DH rarely wears a dress shirt or tie. So if I buy I don't like to spend alot as it will sit in the closet so long it will be out of style. I go to Marshall's or Value City. They both carry name brands for less.

bought a hagar suit, 2 dress shirts and two ties in may at dillard sfor 500 bucks,, i think the shiorts were about 30 each and the ties in the 25 dollar range.

Shirt-$50-60

Tie $30-40-50

That's why I like to buy at discount stores that have name brand stuff-like
Marshall's,t j Maxx etc

rockin_rep said:
Sorry that this is off topic but could you (or someone) please tell me how you put two quotes in one post!?? I'm so techno challenged!!!

(but now it didn't come up as two separate quotes???? helllllppppp!!!)
Pick one post to quote and do that normally. The other one you want to quote, just copy the text and up above the reply box (right under where you can change the font color) is an icon that looks like a cartoon text bubble. Click that and it will give you the quote prompt and then you can paste the text you want quoted inside. Does that even make sense?

PD, that sounds reasonable. I was going to say expect to pay around $100, minimum for both. Fortunately, my husband doesn't need to wear suits and ties to work. Those suckers are expensive.

DH's dress shirts are around $70. His ties are always more then that which is kind of silly! I bought him two ties the other day. They were $100 and $110. They are silk but do last a long time. I get them drycleaned after 3 wears or if he gets something on it.

Papa Deuce said:
Shirt was $42 and tie was about $30..... $30 for a tie????? but it looked great against the shirt, I have to say.

You got a bargain. Ties are pricey.

How often are you going to have to wear it? If it is just for some special occassion and you are not going to use it again, there is nothing wrong with getting them at Walmart or Target for a fraction of the price. That is where we get DH's, as he only needs them maybe once a year.

i can't fathom spending those prices. I would justify it if I needed to wear those close for a living and looking good in my workforce really mattered. If I was looking at a guy i don't think I'd be able to tell if he was wearing a $20. tie or a $100. tie. I can see the difference from a cheap shirt and a good mid priced shirt (for me $45.) I know a $100. shirt must look great and feel really good but I just can't imagine spending it.

I bought DH a wrinkle resistant Eddie Bauer shirt at the outlet last Friday and it was $40. Although it's not they type to wear a tie with.

My DH likes the Stafford broadcloth shirts by JC Penney, they are normally around $30 but I wait until there's a sale and generally pay around $20 for them--buying 4-6 at a time on sale. :) He doesn't need any special athletic/slim/big/tall cuts. I've bought him Brooks Brothers in the past, they are around $75, but he prefers the fit of the Stafford, so helloooo...that's what I buy him. He wears a dress shirt and tie with suit to work every day.

As far as ties, $30-60 is in the right range. He's got a few Brooks Brothers neats, but he likes the goofy ties with cartoons on them, and it's about the only way he can show any personality in his white shirt/conservative dark suit company dress code, so that's what I buy him.

Suits are a different story, $500-1200 each, I try to buy them when they are on sale, in fact on Sunday we are headed to Bloomingdales as he's got some sort of coupon for suits there.

The part that kills me is spending $300 or so on a pair of wing tips. And he has a fit when I even glance at Manalo's or Jimmy's--where's the equity there? :rolleyes: :rotfl:

Behind every well dressed man is a woman applies in our house! :p

Anne

If oyu go to Marshall's, you can get it for 1/2 that!

ducklite said:
The part that kills me is spending $300 or so on a pair of wing tips. And he has a fit when I even glance at Manalo's or Jimmy's--where's the equity there? :rolleyes: :rotfl:

The equity is that guys generally need two pairs of good wingtips (black and brown) and good pairs will last close to forever if maintained well, where as women seem to need 30 pairs, one for every outfit they own. :confused3

Bob Slydell said:
The equity is that guys generally need two pairs of good wingtips (black and brown) and good pairs will last close to forever if maintained well, where as women seem to need 30 pairs, one for every outfit they own. :confused3

Um... :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

My DH manages to get about 10-15 years out of a pair, he has them resoled at some point. He's got one pair of brown, two pair of black, and a couple few pair of non-wing tipped shoes that he wears on "casual" Friday's when he's got a meeting with the big wigs and "casual" means no tie LOL!

BTW--like the new family pic :)

Anne

ducklite said:
BTW--like the new family pic :)

Anne

Back when I was in suits everyday, I used to have to resole about every year or two, but I can be pretty hard on shoes. These days, I'm business casual, so I don't wear wingtips very often and instead wear loafers or other casual shoes, so now I've got a nice collection of wingtips that I wear about once a month or so. :teeth:

Tiggeroo said:
i can't fathom spending those prices. I would justify it if I needed to wear those close for a living and looking good in my workforce really mattered. If I was looking at a guy i don't think I'd be able to tell if he was wearing a $20. tie or a $100. tie. I can see the difference from a cheap shirt and a good mid priced shirt (for me $45.) I know a $100. shirt must look great and feel really good but I just can't imagine spending it.

Fathoming spending those prices was not easy here either, and my DH still does not know how much everything cost because he still really can't fathom it.
But, my DH was interviewing for a CEO position with men who were the CIO's, CTO's or VP's of their companies. These are men who dress well and most likely can tell the difference in suit fabric and an expensive tie and a lesser quality tie. My DH doesn't care for this type of "dress up" game, but sadly...first impressions and image do matter, especially in some settings and situations.
We wanted to be sure that he wasn't disqualified for the job straight out of the gate because of how he was dressed when he came in for the interview.

My suggestion would be to check out JC Penney's or Kohls. My DH gets silk ties for $15 -$30 and the most we have ever spent on a dress shirt was $45. Thankfully he now gets to dress business casual. Which in his office means khakis and casual dress shirts or polos. He does have real business clothes, but he doesn't need them too often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter