What does aging gracefully mean to you?

I think there's more to this than just appearances, such as quality of life. Taking care of yourself to improve the way you feel as you age is very important. That and having goals or hobbies to work towards in life. When some folks retire they just decay from boredom and lack of activity.

That and having a strong mental attitude. It's an ageist world out there too, and I think those with cemented conceptions about what people should or should not be doing at a certain age are more likely to fall into a self-made trap. The brothers from the band Sparks are about my dad's age (70's), and they haven't stopped making music since the 70's, and they do not follow the same rules other older bands have. My dad is still going too, he's always got projects going on.

I don't fault anyone for getting fillers or Botox, it's their business, and in moderation it's not blatantly obvious. If that person feels better for it, then that's it.

That said, exercise, hydration, cutting down on sugar, alcohol, and sun exposure, and quitting smoking, all go a tremendous way to looking healthier and not prematurely aging. That same plan can drastically improve your health anyways, and every morning you will be ready to engage life instead of losing so much time to feeling ill and avoidant.

They did studies on regrets and tons of elderly people expressed regret over things they've never done. So you reach a point where you realize your getting old(er), think of all that you can do now to make the most of the time you have left. And being able to feel good enough to enjoy it. And being there for loved ones for landmark moments in their life.

I‘m glad to read responses from some of the men here. My husband is turning 50 soon. To me, he gets more attractive the older he gets. I love that his hair is peppered with gray and he has laugh lines. He denies he’s aging, though, so he’s not even trying to age gracefully 😂
I was at my daughters house the other day and we were lightly discussing aging. I made a statement that I felt that the past two years has taken its toll on me as I feel much older. My son in law, rightfully so said, "I've known you for 26 years and you honestly look exactly the same as you did 26 years ago"! I have to say that his powers of observation were very, very good. :thumbsup2 The very next week I was talking with my other daughter and told her what he said and she replied, "well, if that's the case you must have looked damned awful 26 years ago". Bless her heart! o_O I taught her all the sarcasm she knows, I'm so proud.

Last edited:
IMO, it's simply looking your age or younger.

I've known people who looked a decade older than they were in there 40's. Others that looked in their 40's when they were 60+.
So much of it is related to smoking, drinking and overall health. It's lucky to have good genetics!

Almost 72 here. Years ago I saw a commercial - (forgot what for, probably some vitamin or supplement). In it the focus starts on an older couple sitting frumpily at a tiki hut on a beach. Overweight tired looking. Slowly the focus shifts to a couple coming up from the shore in snorkel or scuba gear.... Laughing and walking crisply. As they near the tiki hut they pull off their head coverings to reveal a vital older couple, silver hair, a few wrinkles. I said to DH "I want to be the second couple"

So, I try to eat healthily most of the time, exercise (gym, walking, swimming), try to keep weight under control (currently trying to lose a few from long stay in Italy). I still waterski, tube, go to theme parks with grandkids, hike the mountains and travel extensively. I let my hair go gray naturally, use name brand face stuff to ward off what wrinkles I can and try to keep a youthful attitude - the grandkids help with that.

I am happy to be 55 and have acquired (hopefully) the wisdom that age brings.

However I like to look "better" so I have plastic surgeons who have nipped and tucked various areas on my body and face - getting my upper eyelids done was huge - I stopped looking like I was always tired.

And I never really had breasts, so when I turned 50 I got implants and I love them.

Soon to be 66, playing lots of pickleball and loving it, great exercise, doing other forms of exercise, trying to make the most of every day! Want to live as drama free as possible, life can be too short!😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter