• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What does everyone think of the new normal (covid related)

Most of what you are describing will come back, in time, but with possible modifications such as when visiting your elderly family members in a nursing home, you have to wear a mask. As to the bold I have a feeling some businesses will stay work from home. It won't be by mandate but it also won't be up to the individual either.
I said by choice, but I never thought it would be individual choice. Some companies will decide people were not productive enough working from home. But many companies will decide to move forward with it and save a fortune in overhead. I think the commercial real estate sector is in for some substantial losses.

I think It will change school in the sense that virtual and homeschool options will be more widely used and accepted.
I do think snow days will be a thing of the past.

I said by choice, but I never thought it would be individual choice. Some companies will decide people were not productive enough working from home. But many companies will decide to move forward with it and save a fortune in overhead. I think the commercial real estate sector is in for some substantial losses.

I do think snow days will be a thing of the past.

snow days will be more based on severity of storm some areas loose power really easily in snow storms

I miss going to movie theaters. I worry that streaming of new releases will become the new normal.

I also miss just going out because I want to and not wearing the stupid masks.

I also miss hanging out with friends and family. I have 90 year old aunt that lives in a retirement home and I wonder if I will ever see her again.

I want to be able to make a run to walmart at 1 am when there are no people around. OK you have to deal with them stocking the shelves especially in grocery but they are great about moving things when they can so you can at least get up and down the aisles. Plus a lot of the time they will just get it for you.
I want to be able to go places without having to worry about blacking out and hitting my head from wearing a mask-thanks to lung damage from black mold in the rental we were in before we purchased our house I am dealing with reduced lung capacity-while I can get a medical exemption I am just restricting where I go to places that have carts I can drive because any physical exertion wearing a mask agrivates me. I am using curbside pickup, sending the teenager and husband into places to pick things up, online ordering and either have it delivered to me or pick up at the stores using curbside if available and otherwise it is list my husband as an authorized person to pick up if id is required, my not quite old enough to drive without driver's ed teenager if just the email confirmation is needed.
I want my husband to have the oportunity to go occasionally get an extra day of work because his company is back to working 6 days a week instead of 5. I am really not too keen on the idea of a rumor that fellow employee of his started around that they would be moving to a 4 10 hour shift schedule due to it would be work 2 days off 1 work 2 days off 2 days (that they are currently) because that one day they barely get 8 hours of work-instead they post the day before for volunteers to take the day off.
I want to be able to eat at a resturant again-Yes they are open in my area but you have to wear a mask to walk in and can have the mask off to eat indoors with people 6 ft away that you do not know and that I am not comfortable with. We have not had places open up more outdoor seating even when it was still nice. (As I type this it is 49F where I live with a real feel of 44F with a forcast for the next 8 days being a high of 61 on Wed and 38 for the high a week from Monday. Lows during that same time range from 24-38 so not exactly weather conducive to dining outside).
I want Olive Garden to bring back the stuffed mushrooms and Red Robin to bring back the French onion soup even if I have to get those on a curbside pick up that is fine just bring them back please.
When things open back up fully and go back to a semi like it was before normal places can feel free to leave the call server, order from your table, pay and oh here are some games that you can add to your order and play machines off the tables-as a parent of a kid who likes to play them and I would rather not I am fine with that or just get updated ones without games and let people who want the games request them. (Sorry kid they got rid of the games on them during covid)
I want to know if the Golden Coral in my area is closed permantly or not. (sign is down, but building is not listed for sale or rent, website says that there is still a location here but also says that all corporate owned locations are closed the last time I checked though some francise locations are open-no idea which the one here is, nothing about them closing in the local media).

You all don't wear masks inside public places? Do your kids not wear them at school either? Do you mind sharing w&ere you live?
Winder, GA (Barrow County) Very low cases and our schools do mandate mask just from the bus or car to the class room where they can take them off. After Thanksgiving break, no more mask as school. All our restaurants are mask free and only a few sit every other table. most are business as usual. There are 3 buffets in our town open also but I'm not a fan so we don't do buffets except at WDW. Only the Dr office requires a mask. Home Depot does but they do not enforce it. I wear one where ever a business post up asking but its like 3 places total around here so it's pretty normal. I own my own business and do not require a mask to enter.

What about the pandemic cause you to become healthier?

It should have caused a lot of people to become healthier.

“I’m high risk...I’m obese.”
“I’m high risk...I’m a smoker.”

Good news, those two are correctable and you can get out of being high risk. But I know it obviously hasn’t.

I think OP means stuff like this - my 78 year old mother and I went out to lunch today. Due to covid they no longer have menus to read, you have to scan a QR code and look at the menu online. They also require you to order and pay online. My mom had no clue what to do, if I wasn't with her, if I didn't show her the menu, order for her, and pay on my phone, she would've just left.
Every place we've been to has had a menu back up. They just prefer you to use QR codes. My mom's phone didn't even work for the QR codes and she didn't even know how to do it. With our phones we just open up the camera and it automatically detects it and then we click on it and away we go. In-laws I think mother-in-law has a phone that would work for it but frankly both of them (includes step-father-in-law) are not so up and up on how to use technology so they immediately ask for actual menus. Majority of the menus we have been given are paper 1 time use ones. My husband and I don't mind QR codes but I def. understand how your mom feels with having relatives who are that way as well.

It should have caused a lot of people to become healthier.

“I’m high risk...I’m obese.”
“I’m high risk...I’m a smoker.”

Good news, those two are correctable and you can get out of being high risk. But I know it obviously hasn’t.

Dang.

Stores still seem busy as pre-COVID, only with masks. Fortunately I cut down on junk food because many of the fast food drive-thru lanes are loaded.

I was under the impression that Black Friday is not happening this year, but if the consumer crazies were already rabid during the holidays, I'm curious if crowd behavior is going to be just as bad if not worse.

During the initial lockdown, I still had to drive to work, and the roads were nearly bare. It hasn't been that way in months, the roads are as congested as before.
I've noticed the traffic increasing rather steadily since school recommenced in September. Prior to that, from late-March onward, it was practically a different city, traffic wise. I've found myself startled by and having to adjust to the "old normal". :laughing:

Every place we've been to has had a menu back up. They just prefer you to use QR codes.
That’s been my experience as well, but this place made it a point to tell us as they seated us that the only menu was with the QR code and the only payment option was through the phone. My guess is they’ll probably stay this way, too. Even though the server brought our food and checked on us, it felt much less personal.

Last edited:
That’s been my experience as well, but this place made it a point to tell us as they seated us that the only me u was with the QR code and the only payment option was through the phone. My guess is they’ll probably stay this way, too. Even though the server brought our food and checked on us, it felt much less personal.
:thumbsup2Good thing they told you about payment upfront. For those of us that don't do that, it would mean having to get up and go somewhere else. Heaven forbid getting to the end of the meal and having the bill arrive only to find oneself in the lurch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter