what does GTY mean and can DCL bump your room if you're already assigned?

dawsons

Mouseketeer
What does GTY stand for? I see this a lot in listings about reservations. Also, we were given 9120 when we booked. Can our room be changed by DCL?

GTY stands for "guarantee status" - which means that when you book, you're not assigned a stateroom, but are guaranteed that you will get a room in the category you booked, or a better category if none are left in yours. If you got a stateroom number right when you booked, then you're probably not GTY and DCL won't bump you from your room (except in the rare instance when you have an accessible room and someone who has a medical need for that room books, in which case DCL will contact you).

Does your reservation say something like "Category 5D GTY" before your stateroom number, or does it just list the room number?

Well, if you read the terms and conditions in the cruise contract, you might be surprised at how little DCL actually guarantees. One clause even states that they don't warrant the seaworthiness of the vessel. :eek:

So yes, even with an assigned stateroom they can move you. In practice I don't think it happens often though, and as stated by the PP, it seems they do try to contact you and let you know, at least in recent years.

The one time we were bumped from an assigned stateroom we didn't find out until we were checking in at the port. But that was several years ago, and we were upgraded, so no complaints from us. ;)

If you book a GTY cat 10 and are later assigned to a cat 8 room you can be moved back to a cat 9 or 10 by DCL if they need that cat 8 room prior to your cruise. This has been done and found out when checking in at the port before.

Actually, DCL can change your room assignment, even if you select a room number...on our last Wonder cruise, we selected 6634 at booking (a 'secret verandah' cat 7), then we were surprised with an upgrade to a cat 4 on deck 8 about a month before boarding.

So they can change your room assignment, but it usually means you have been upgraded -- pixie dust!pixiedust:

When will we find out what our cabin assignment is? The kids are driving me up the wall about it.:)

We booked GTY for the Jan30 Disney Dream and was assigned a cabin # one week before sail date.

We booked a cat 10 on the Dream and were assigned to 5015 right off the bat. Earlier this month, we got our cruise package, and were very surprised to see that we were now assigned to 7676, which is a cat 8c! So, yes, it can happen. As a PP stated, if they do move you, it will be an upgrade :wizard:. (Out of 6 cruises, this is a first for us.)

Last September we received our assignment for our sailing on the Wonder about 30 days before, but I've heard lately some folks on the Dream aren't finding out until much, much closer, in some cases not even until they checked in! It really depends on what rooms Disney thinks they can fill by selling them, and how long they're willing to wait to see if more people book. The Dream is so popular I'm not surprised at all that they're able to fill any category that becomes available!

We booked our Alaska cruise on the Wonder about 90 days out, and got our stateroom assignments yesterday (75 days out). I wonder if that's because we have two rooms that are linked? I expected that information much closer to the date. BTW, no upgrade, we got exactly what we paid for (and not adjoining either, as we'd asked, and not next to each other, but not far away either, so it's fine).

A GTY room doesn't allow you to request anything like connecting rooms. In the past people have reported being assigned rooms on two different decks or one room forward and the other aft.

We booked our Alaska cruise on the Wonder about 90 days out, and got our stateroom assignments yesterday (75 days out). I wonder if that's because we have two rooms that are linked? I expected that information much closer to the date. BTW, no upgrade, we got exactly what we paid for (and not adjoining either, as we'd asked, and not next to each other, but not far away either, so it's fine).

FYI - Adjoining is next to each other, connecting is probably what you meant instead of adjoining.

I agree with the PP, you can't make those requests when you're booked as a GTY.

Has anyone ever been assigned an upgrade on a GTY room, then have it dropped back down by Disney before boarding?

Has anyone ever been assigned an upgrade on a GTY room, then have it dropped back down by Disney before boarding?

We had that happen a few weeks ago. We saw that we had been upgraded from a gty 11B to a 5C, but now we are back to 11B.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter