What Does Hollywood Studios New Direction Mean for Indiana Jones?

Eoghann

DIS Veteran
And also Lights, Motors, Action... but really does anyone care about that?

One of the key phrases in yesterdays presentation was how they were moving the park from being behind the scenes to "putting you in the scenes". That's clearly how the new Star Wars and Toy Story lands are being set up.

Andy you can make a case of Great Movie Ride, Muppets and the shows fitting that new theme quite well. But the two stunt shows don't at all.

Is this a sign they are on their way out? Just wild speculation.

And also Lights, Motors, Action... but really does anyone care about that?

One of the key phrases in yesterdays presentation was how they were moving the park from being behind the scenes to "putting you in the scenes". That's clearly how the new Star Wars and Toy Story lands are being set up.

Andy you can make a case of Great Movie Ride, Muppets and the shows fitting that new theme quite well. But the two stunt shows don't at all.

Is this a sign they are on their way out? Just wild speculation.
Based on sections of 14 acres of property that they'll likely use for DHS and 11 acres for toy story LMA may be not taken out for either project. I think it will still close because the test space for their cars would likely be used for toy story but the actually stage area may not be used for either project.

In terms of Indiana jones. We have the themed hangar bar coming to Disney Springs later this year. The show has been the same for many many years. Kathleen Kennedy head of lucasfilm has said that they will likely go back to Indiana jones films. I think jones and LMA are goners and muppets stays for now at least.

i thought it's been rumored for a long time, at least over a year now, that indiana jones would be closing at some point.

i thought it's been rumored for a long time, at least over a year now, that indiana jones would be closing at some point.
Lots of things have been rumored, but that in itself doesn't mean that much and the replacement of Indiana Jones has been speculation (wishful thinking) for about half a decade.

What I was getting at is that the show doesn't fit the new theme of the park.

Based on sections of 14 acres of property that they'll likely use for DHS and 11 acres for toy story LMA may be not taken out for either project. I think it will still close because the test space for their cars would likely be used for toy story but the actually stage area may not be used for either project.

In terms of Indiana jones. We have the themed hangar bar coming to Disney Springs later this year. The show has been the same for many many years. Kathleen Kennedy head of lucasfilm has said that they will likely go back to Indiana jones films. I think jones and LMA are goners and muppets stays for now at least.

Neither LMA or Indy have to be removed but the fact they don't fit the new theme just makes me wonder why they would stay. I'm reading tea leaves of course, but the only reason I can think of to keep them at this point would be to soak up crowds and I'm not sure if either of them really do that any more. It's not like they're really driving people to the park.

Lots of things have been rumored, but that in itself doesn't mean that much and the replacement of Indiana Jones has been speculation (wishful thinking) for about half a decade.

What I was getting at is that the show doesn't fit the new theme of the park.

Neither LMA or Indy have to be removed but the fact they don't fit the new theme just makes me wonder why they would stay. I'm reading tea leaves of course, but the only reason I can think of to keep them at this point would be to soak up crowds and I'm not sure if either of them really do that any more. It's not like they're really driving people to the park.
Yes exactly. Sources have said LMA days are numbered but not exactly sure on Indiana jones. It would make sense for both to close.

i think that's your answer, honestly. they don't fit with the new direction, and given they are in prime destruction zone it's likely we'll see them go. however, they ARE two big draws as far as shows in DHS go, and if they go there will definitely be a vacuum to fill in that area.

I just hope they do not close anything else until they start opening some of the new stuff. But I do agree they will likely eventually be removed.

i think that's your answer, honestly. they don't fit with the new direction, and given they are in prime destruction zone it's likely we'll see them go. however, they ARE two big draws as far as shows in DHS go, and if they go there will definitely be a vacuum to fill in that area.

I'm assuming, and they didn't say it so it could be wishful thinking on my part, that the Star Wars land area will have some other mini-shows or street theater going on in it which would help somewhat.

Indiana Jones does make for a nice place to sit down and relax for a while.

I'm assuming, and they didn't say it so it could be wishful thinking on my part, that the Star Wars land area will have some other mini-shows or street theater going on in it which would help somewhat.

i hope this, too. the big rides announced sound great, but it's the shows and entertainment that really help make it a full day, enjoyable park for everyone. i'm sure they will fill this somehow.

Indy and LMA hold huge numbers of guests and if they remove them then they need to replace them with two other large capacity attractions.

Isn't there a thread somewhere that has the ride capacities? Anyone have a link for that. I'm curious just exactly how many people we're talking about. Because while Indy does a lot of people at one time, there are a very limited number of shows.

They are both toast.

The tests they were doing with Ezra and Sabine during the last star wars weekends points to the direction of some of the street entertainment.

I hope Indy makes it until November. We'll be there in late October. We were planning on skipping DHS, but given all the announcements I think we'll head over and do Indy, Muppets and the other rumored closing attractions- just in case.

Here is one of my thoughts of the expansion areas using rough data from Google Earth and fudging math. In this layout Indy survives until 2020 and construction is contained.

HSExpansions.jpg

We often hear complaints about the cost of LMA so I expect it to go. I think LMA's seating area and Catastrophe Canyon to be taken over by one of the ride buildings for Star Wars. If they choose to move or get rid of the S Studio Drive entrance then they will have much more space to work with (I don't know why I'm so stuck on this idea). They will also have to do a parking lot extension so I think we will get two more lots and the new entrance on Victory Way. I've seen Transportation staking out the Buena Vista Dr entrance a lot recently so I think that might disappear.

Here is one of my thoughts of the expansion areas using rough data from Google Earth and fudging math. In this layout Indy survives until 2020 and construction is contained.

HSExpansions.jpg

Looking at that image I am reminded again how abysmally badly Hollywood Studios was laid out. No wonder it's the only park where I ever got lost.

HSExpansions.jpg

We often hear complaints about the cost of LMA so I expect it to go. I think LMA's seating area and Catastrophe Canyon to be taken over by one of the ride buildings for Star Wars. If they choose to move or get rid of the S Studio Drive entrance then they will have much more space to work with (I don't know why I'm so stuck on this idea). They will also have to do a parking lot extension so I think we will get two more lots and the new entrance on Victory Way. I've seen Transportation staking out the Buena Vista Dr entrance a lot recently so I think that might disappear.
Very possible. Lots of infrastructure work is going to be happening.

I think they haven't announced every new addition they've planned for DHS just yet. I said it before: Iger's strenght is the creation of brands and franchises, and DHS is clearly going in that direction. A trend I've noticed recently is that every theme park project Disney is working on has a new film/sequel attached to it. It was the case with Carsland, Toy Story, Star Wars, Arendelle (DisneySea), Alice in Wonderland (Tokyo), Beauty and the Beast (Tokyo), Pirates (A whole new land at Shanghai)... They are preparing sequels/remakes for every single one of these projects. Now, let's remember that Disney is interested in a re-make of Indiana Jones. I wonder if...

I think that Muppets and Indiana Jones will remain in the park, just because that's what this park is going to become: Franchise central. Now, I'm no saying this means a new Indiana Jones ride is in the works, but still, I think it will remain there in some way, shape or form.

HSExpansions.jpg

There are a few observations I have about your suggestions -- 1. the area you have shaded in is significantly larger than 14 acres -- its upwards of 23. 2. There already has been an announcement about converting the Animation plaza to star wars "museum" and themed activities. 3. Unless they are eliminating those costuming facilities buildings, in the blue shaded areas, I dont think the toy story expansion would go on that side of the current toy story alley. Again, just a guess at this point.

Here are three overlays with me making an attempt to hit 14acres:

loc116acres.jpg

loc116acresver2.jpg

loc116acresver3.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter