What don't they teach in schools anymore?

la79al

DIS Veteran
With my 9 and 11 year old probably off for the next 2 weeks, I am looking for stuff to do. I want to use this time to teach them life skills type things, stuff they will actually need in life but aren't taught in school. They are both very smart so pretty much anything is possible. Ideas?

Money issues: How to balance a checkbook. ... Make and stick to a budget.... Proper perspective of things like credit card debt, Bill Paying/Planning

Life Skills: Laundry, Basic Cooking Skills, Grocery Shopping, Simple Car Maintenance

In some schools the arts are not taught-both hands on skills and history.

Meal-planning. Let them sit with you and plan out the meals for the week. Make sure it includes discussion of balanced nutrition as well as what supplies you have on-hand (or what you are willing to buy). Then have them help prepare dinner - each kid gets a couple of nights over the week.

Cursive writing is a big one not taught at most schools. At a minimum, teach them to sign their name. You should be able to find some worksheets online.

Volunteer. I'm sure a local soup kitchen could use some help. If you'd rather avoid people right now, do a trash pick-up at a local park or even just along your own street.

Get outside and play. Fortunately the weather is turning warmer in most places with winter disappearing. Even if it's still chilly, put on hats and gloves and send them into the backyard.

I keep seeing money management and budgeting but our schools do teach that. Kids take a class in middle school all about it, and when in HS there are electives focusing on that, my ds is actually taking Money Management next year. It's a class focused on just that, even teaches them how to do their own taxes.
Having said that, IMO it's important for parents to teach it to their kids regardless of whether or not it is done in school.

As far as life skills if it were my kids, I'd be doing "lessons" that reinforce thinking for themselves, and problem solving.

How to address an envelope. I found this out the hard way when my son tried to do his thank you notes for high school graduation. He put the address up where the return address should go. :rotfl2:

Local history. Gardening, names of plants, trees, etc.
Basic home repairs, where the main water shutoff valve is, etc.
Car maintenance.

How to address an envelope. I found this out the hard way when my son tried to do his thank you notes for high school graduation. He put the address up where the return address should go. :rotfl2:

THIS! My brothers friend left for basic training shortly after high school graduation and before he left we had to show them both how to address and stamp an envelope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter