• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What DVC Property is Least Likely to Get You in By 4PM?

I don't think they are doing anywhere close to their best. For 2022 $1.81 per point at BWV's went to housekeeping. That means that my 1 week stay in June at BWV in a 1BR Boardwalk View at 234 points cost me $423.54 in housekeeping. For that I get my room cleaned for check-in, some squirt bottles of soap on the wall, and some misc cleaning in the halls. Oh and I forgot maybe towels halfway thru the stay if they remember, which they rarely do now days. I am going to say that daily trash pickup is going under security, because that's why they are doing it. $423.54 for one cleaning. What are they paying that housekeeper? According to Glassdoor, Disney World house keepers get paid an average of $15-$17/hour. (I know the rate is going up, but this is for 2022 dues). So that $423.54 would be 24 worker hours. I'm sure there are some benefits in there as well so lets double the $17 to $34 and that's still 12 worker hours. Sure you have some misc items like cleaning solutions and what not. I would sure like to know the breakdown of that $423.54 housekeeping.

What I meant is that the housekeepers aren’t sitting around or taking longer then they should to get things done. Those staff are working hard.

But, it’s that Disney, as the property manager, needs to ensure they have the appropriate staffing that the majority of rooms are ready by 4:00 pm.

I get there are some problems that are from guests and that I why there will be some late.

They trash them more than most realize which is why I said what I did. And before anyone says it is renters, more often it is members who think, "well I own the place". Damage is a major resason we lost the ceiling fans.
Ceiling fans are hard to clean and maintain and out of style in all hotels, and have been for years. This has nothing to do with us, this was a cost-cutting measure that all hotels are doing. A ceiling fan in a hotel is an instant marker that it hasn't been updated.

Ceiling fans are hard to clean and maintain and out of style in all hotels, and have been for years. This has nothing to do with us, this was a cost-cutting measure that all hotels are doing. A ceiling fan in a hotel is an instant marker that it hasn't been updated.
Cost cutting due to both cleaning and damage to them. DVC is not a hotel and many new timeshares still have them in updated versions.

My room has been ready at least an hour late more often than it’s been ready on time. It’s been past 5, maybe 5:30 for my at pvb, RIV, and bcv. No one did much of anything as an “I’m sorry”.

Honestly, they ALL have issues from time to time, I've occasionally had to wait until 6 o'clock even at OKW, which is why I try not to plan anything, except Disney Springs, for check-in day. Usually, though OKW does get me in by 4, and usually earlier.

Last edited:
Honestly, they ALL have issues from time to time, I've occasionally had to wait until 6 o'clock even at OKW, which is why I try not to plan anything, except Disney Springs, for check-in day. Usually, though OKW does get me in by 4, and usually earlier.
That's us, Between flying from So Cal, and not wanting to get up at zero dark thirty to get on a plane, we always arrive in Orlando around 6-ish and only plan to get dinner at DS on arrival day. Takes the stress out of what is supposed to be a vacation.

Oh I do think some don't think they are trying and I think what they expect as compensation is way above your suggestions. I just happen to think if the room is not ready by 4 there is a good reason. I don't think they are setting arond saying, "no reason to be in a hurry, we can just make them unhappy". Members trash the rooms, ask for late check out, etc. I am pretty sure they know members want the rooms as close to 4 pm as possible and many want them before that.
I just don't go through life thinking others, are trying to put one over me. I think your suggestions of compensation are reasonable but would expect nothing until 5 pm and the compensation should increase by the length of time after 4 pm that the member has waited.
Guess I have just seen more than my share over the years of over demanding members at the front desk demanding their room at 3 pm because they have been waiting since noon. Most timeshares will not even discuss letting you have a room before 4 pm. I think if they stuck to 4 pm and not before it would work better for everyone.

I think compensation after 5 is reasonable, but compensation for anything a moment after 4 isn't. And I think that members have to realize that after 4 can mean AFTER 4. Which isn't 4:01. After 4 has been the communication for the entire 20+ years of my membership - it shouldn't be news to anyone. And then plan for "what if I can't get into the room until sometime after 4." That means having some plans - park, pool, minigolf, packing a carryon that will let you freshen up or change into a swimsuit, knowing where you are having dinner that isn't in the room, and scoping out somewhere young kids can rest - a resort quiet space.

Could Disney do better - sure - it might cost us more in dues. But we've been complaining about it for 20 years and they haven't. Spit in the wind if you want. I'd rather not get wet, myself. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

That said, we've never had a room where the room was ready later than 3pm - and that was VAKL where we ended up with the worst savannah view possible. Most of the time our room is ready around noon or 1. Most of our stays at WDW have been at BWV (which is not the best resort for finding a quiet space for little ones to rest).

My worst was All Star Movies. I booked it for my first night as I was short on points and getting in very late. When I had to turn off my phone at 3 PM at LAX (so 6 PM WDW time), I still did not have a room assignment. I guess it came in sometime during the nearly 5 hours I was in the air, but not exactly sure when. And when I found my room (around midnight), it was not in the location I wanted and was not yet refurbished. And better yet, I discovered the next morning that it was not totally guest ready ---- there was no shampoo or body wash (I believe there was soap) and no tub mat and short on towels. I was solo so I made the towel situation work and skipped washing my hair. I stopped at the front desk to let them know --- I didn't want them to think I stole the towels or tub mat. Manager was there and offered to have those things taken care of for me, but I declined as I was off to the park and wanted to get on my way. I could always shower again later that afternoon when I moved to Kidani.

I like to think about it as if I had asked for the reciprocal courtesy. 10 to 15 minutes would be a non issue. But if I ask for 1,2, 3+ hour late check out I will be laughed at. People should NEVER be getting their room past 5 without some magic made for them.

Been a member since 1999, my only experience after 4:00 was VGC, it was about 5:10, got a free fastpass (years ago). Last time at BWV was 2:30, Poly 2:45.

I wonder what days have the least amount of guests checking out which would make it easier for housekeeping to turnover rooms. We are checking in on a Tuesday, I have to guess not a lot of people are checking out on a Tuesday

I wonder what days have the least amount of guests checking out which would make it easier for housekeeping to turnover rooms. We are checking in on a Tuesday, I have to guess not a lot of people are checking out on a Tuesday
Weekends are busiest turnover days.

I have had rooms ready when I got to BLT around noon during Christmas time December 22ndish, even with my quirky high floor even numbered room request. Its luck of the draw with many factors involved, guest turnover, staff sickouts, what type of room, and just being right time right place.

Traveling in on a Tuesday at AKL and leaving on the following Thursday. Just hoping for a nice Savannah view for our first welcome home visit. My flight lands at 9 am but my wife and I have a gameplan to kill most of the day with our toddler until our room is ready.

I've only rented DVC points a few times, our first trip in 2017 our BWV room was hours late and we were given a $100 credit. (I'm poking around the DVC board because I am considering taking a confirmed reservation at GF.) Our most recent rental last May at OKW, I received a text that our room wasn't ready yet, but never got one that it was. We hung around the pool/bar area waiting, only to find that it had been ready but we weren't notified.
Perhaps DVC needs to institute some "firm guidelines" regarding how rooms are to be left. Strip the beds, load the dishwasher, make sure all of the trash is in the receptacles. Towels in the tub. Leave on time. Make sure the 'Room Occupied' tag is on the inside of the door. We generally do all of those things before we leave and from other reports here on the DIS and elsewhere, many others do too..
I am often solo or just with another adult, and we leave our rooms in good shape, but I have NEVER considered stripping the bed in any hotel/resort. Is that really a thing people do?

I've only rented DVC points a few times, our first trip in 2017 our BWV room was hours late and we were given a $100 credit. (I'm poking around the DVC board because I am considering taking a confirmed reservation at GF.) Our most recent rental last May at OKW, I received a text that our room wasn't ready yet, but never got one that it was. We hung around the pool/bar area waiting, only to find that it had been ready but we weren't notified.

I am often solo or just with another adult, and we leave our rooms in good shape, but I have NEVER considered stripping the bed in any hotel/resort. Is that really a thing people do?
I have never even considered stripping the bed. And I do put towels in bath, run dishwasher etc. But stripping bed is not on my radar.

I don't strip the bed. I will throw all trash in the trash can (including the small used soaps and such) and pile all used towels on the bathroom floor and I hand wash and put away all dishes. If we used the pull out sofa I will strip that and fold the sofa back in. But I won't strip the real beds. I do the sleeper sofas because I like to put the sofa back to normal and wouldn't want our dirty sheets to be left there for next guest.

We don’t strip the bed, but some timeshares instruct you to do so when checking out.

We do load and start the dishwasher, pile towels in the tub, and make sure all the trash is in the cans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter