• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

What else to do before/after Alaska

My threshold for feeling unsafe is pretty high, so I didn't feel at all unsafe in Gastown. But it's still pretty sketchy. We were actually just looking for a Tim's that was open after 9pm, but on the way there, we saw all kinds of fun stuff. Lots of drug users, homeless camps, people urinating, people passed out, drunks, and a few people just yelling.

Honestly, I'm kind of used to it. We have all of that where I live, too. I just don't want anyone to be unaware of what they're getting into.
It's definitely gotten a lot sketchier in recent years and there isn't much to see/do there anyway. It's mostly standard right off the cruise ship tourist stuff. It's fine if any of the shops, restaurants appeal but otherwise people shouldn't feel the need to include it in their Vancouver plans.

I mean, Seattle is a great city to visit in the Spring or Summer, with mild temps and little rain. But I am biased because I have lived in the PNW my whole life. I would say that if you are not going to come to Seattle, but stay in Vancouver, Stanley Park is beautiful. I honestly would not do the suspension bridge, as the prices have gotten astronomical in the past several years ($220 for 4 people!). Whistler is always pretty and worth the drive, the shopping there is great and they have the peak to peak gondolas as well

You can take a seaplane (float plane?) to Victoria from Vancouver as well, I’ve done it a few times. Much faster than the ferry. Much worse if you get motion sickness lol.

There’s lots to do in the Vancouver area! Aside from the already mentioned stuff: Head to Richmond and check out some of the Asian malls/restaurants, or drive down to Steveston for some great fish and chips, shopping in a quaint area, whale watching tours, ice cream by the pier, or head to North Van to check out Lonsdale Quay or Deep Cove. Granville Island is a really cool artist-forward area with a great public marker. There is great hiking in local mountains. Whistler is worth a visit if you want to go overnight, for me it’s too long to make it a day trip. Bike the seawall around Stanley Park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter