What exactly do people have in those huge backpacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One year at AK I saw two families (obviously traveling together) unload 3 huge backpacks with an entire picnic lunch for their group of 10-12 people. They had *everything* in those backpacks...tablecloth, napkins, plates, plastic utensils, stuff to make sandwiches, several large containers of salads (looked homemade), drinks, desserts, etc. It was unbelievable. They carried it around for the morning (they were in front of us at rope drop and I was trying to figure out what could possibly be in the backpacks) before eating at about 12:30. I can't imagine lugging all that around for a few hours and then the half empty containers for the rest of the afternoon. Not for me.

In my last 5 trips to Disney, I've carried a backpack 3 times. Twice was when we returned to a park in the evening simply for a nighttime show (Fantasmic and MSEP/Wishes). Both times I had some snacks to eat while we were sitting and waiting (and I bought those snacks in our hotel on the way to the bus), a plastic table cloth to sit on (it had rained both times), and a few things to entertain the little kids while we waited. We didn't go on any rides or into any restaurants on those occasions. On our trip during Monsoon Week in 2009, we needed to take the Disney rain ponchos with us every day because we knew we would need them -- if it wasn't raining when we left in the morning, we knew it would be within 2 hours...and it wouldn't ever stop. So we had to put the 7 rain ponchos in a backpack. I hated every minute of carrying it (we did take turns, but I still hated it). It was constantly smacking into people or things and it was a huge annoyance (to me) to have to take it off and figure out where to to stash it at every attraction. We downsized to 2 small drawstring backpacks the rest of that week which weren't as bad but were still annoying.

All the other times I've used a small (6" x 8") crossbody bag and still carry a bunch of stuff I've never used even once. We're heading back to Disney in June and I'm currently looking for an even smaller bag to carry. I really only need to carry one cheapy rain poncho (for me -- I hate being wet but the rest of my family refuses to wear a poncho except in the case of monsoon rains), a little cash, credit card, KTTW card, a few ziploc bags, chapstick, travel-sized sunscreen...that's about it. I wear my sunglasses all the time (I have really sensitive eyes) and when we're indoors, they get hung on my shirt or put in my pocket. We keep our cell phones in our pockets. DH carries the camera in his pocket (we have a point a shoot that we love and leave the big camera at home). We buy water when we need it (and we drink a lot of it...especially me) and a few snacks here and there. Even in June, we don't stand in long lines for those things (1 or 2 people in front of us at most) There have been a few times that we've forgotten something and needed to buy it (tylenol and tissues come to mind -- because we used more than I carried with me those days) but I didn't have to wait in any line to get them -- just walked up to the first merchandise kiosk I saw and asked them if they sold those things and they pulled them out of a drawer. There are numerous things I've carried to the parks day in and day out (30+ times) and have never needed. I'm eliminating those things on this trip.

I have no doubt that there are some people who truly do need to carry a backpack full of stuff (those with infants/toddlers, those with health issues, those traveling during a time of year where the temperature fluctuates dramatically -- though personally, I'd stuff those sweatshirts/jackets in a locker, etc.), but I'm sure that a lot of people are carrying a bag full of stuff that they never, ever touch until they get home and unpack the backpack.

So a backpack ties you down but a sweater around the waste, a camera around the neck and a pocket full of food and cell phones doesn't???:confused3

Even if it means you have to stand in more lines when you're in the park?

I can understand not want to carry something all day, but to avoid bag check doesn't make much sense to me.

I, too, prefer to avoid the bag line if possible, and we don't go at a time of year where layers are needed.

I get that you like to carry a backpack around, but you seem quite defensive about those who don't want to carry one around and who give perfectly sound reasons why. It's one thing to have an opinion about something, but to call into question others' reasons for having a different opinion is a little much, especially when the thread before that was light-hearted in nature. Some people just don't like carrying bags, no matter how many health issues they have (I have a DD with a severe peanut allergy for instance) or what they feel like they need to bring. There's no need to quote people and question their reasoning for something as simple as this.

I get that you like to carry a backpack around, but you seem quite defensive about those who don't want to carry one around and who give perfectly sound reasons why.

Not at all. The decision to not want to carry one does not make one difference to me whatsoever. Comments like this on the other hand are a different story:

They looked like pack mules.

and the kitchen sink ! I have seen things that only make me think, «really ? are you moving in ? »

DH always insists that there are homeless people living in the parks

I carry my refillable mugs from my 2008 trip so I can fill them up anywhere, a beach towel I took as a nifty souvenir while I was pool hopping at the Poly that I use to mark my parade spot, a leash for the kids I don't have, an iPad to film dark rides, a 110 Instamatic with flip flash spare bulbs to use on POTC, a jar of chunky peanut butter that I whip out and dip a finger into whenever it suits me and a tarp to cover myself if it rains.

Is that so wrong?

Do you actually have any film for that camera or do you just use it as a flashlight.

Oh and no cans of corn?

I always figured it was people smuggling small children in they didn't want to pay admission for

Now, the standard reply is, "well, they were joking", and you are correct. But you see it goes like this.....someone makes jokes at the expense of those who do carry bags. Then, the person that does carry a bag says why they prefer to carry it. They are then told why they don't need the bag and jokes continue. Then other people chime in with why they carry a bag, jokes continue and so on.

You see, the people who carry the bags never once make jokes at the expense of those who don't. They don't try and explain to others how they could carry a bag or why they should carry a bag or even insinuate that carrying a bag is better or smarter.

But, if they continue to defend why they carry a ag and how it benefits them, now they are deemed defensive.

It's a no win situation and no I am not defensive about it, just saying how it goes.

It's one thing to have an opinion about something, but to call into question others' reasons for having a different opinion is a little much, especially when the thread before that was light-hearted in nature

Hello pot, meet kettle.

Some people just don't like carrying bags, no matter how many health issues they have (I have a DD with a severe peanut allergy for instance) or what they feel like they need to bring. There's no need to quote people and question their reasoning for something as simple as this.

And nobody is telling them that they should or insinuating that carrying one is the better decision either.

As I have said before, each person needs to do what works best for them. This entire thread was devised to question the reasoning behind something as simple as this.

:thumbsup2

I think you are taking this thread WAY too seriously. :thumbsup2

If you're Grimley wouldn't it be "WAY too seriously, I must say"

I crack myself up sometimes.:rotfl2: I also got a laugh out of the kids in that article not knowing what bacon was. My healthy paleo eating DD with the dietetics degree would have had fun with that. Again, I crack myself up.

My husband takes a day bag and I have a kid's backpack and a VERY small cross shoulder bag. In my VERY small bag, I have all my cards - ID, medical, credit, room, annual pass, some cash. I also can fit my phone and my still camera in there as well. And it's VERY small. I need reading glasses so those are in a holder than is then attached to the VERY small bag. In my backpack, I will have my poncho and that's it. Trust me, if I could figure out how to attach that poncho to the bag, I'd do it.

My husband's day bag has an extra T shirt and his poncho.

Now, if the day is clear and it's not 100 degrees with 1000% humidity, the day bag and the backpack get left behind in the room.

When we went with my son and his family (kids age five and 14), they carried. nothing.at.all. Oh - my granddaughter did carry and small waist bag which held her chapstick and money. That was it.

We figure there are First Aid stations if we need a band aid or something. Soap and water works good for killing germs. We apply sunscreen before we walk out the door in the morning.

We are walkers and I have used a pedometer and we usually do about 15-18 miles in a day. No way at 5' tall and barely 100 pounds, I'm taking everything except the kitchen sink.

For those guests who feel like that can do it, great. But I, like the OP, do wonder what is in there. Now I know.

It is everyone's choice as to what they carry. Please remember, though, that when a large backpack is hoisted onto one's back it can extend 12-18 inches. When other people have to line up behind you, it is very easy to be struck in the head or face with your backpack. The "turtle-shell" that you are carrying can become a problem for anyone who has to follow you. Many forget how far out there bag extends.

This thread has served it's time.
Closing before folks turn it into something personal pixiedust:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter